View Full Version : Puppy swallows 13 inch knife and survives!!

ramanth
09-26-2005, 03:24 PM
:eek: :eek: That's one lucky puppy!!

The link shows the puppy, vet, an x-ray, and the knife:
Puppy swallows 13-inch knife (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/26/puppy.swallows.knife.ap/index.html)

PLANTATION, Florida (AP) -- The veterinarian thought the X-ray was a joke.

Jon-Paul Carew has seen strange items get into the stomachs of dogs before, things like kebab skewers and small utensils. But a 13-inch serrated knife in a 6-month-old puppy?

That was a new one.

"I was just flabbergasted," said Carew, of Imperial Point Animal Hospital in Fort Lauderdale.

The knife was removed this week from Elsie, a Saint Bernard puppy. The dog's owner, Jane Scarola, wrapped it in a towel and put it in a cabinet atop the refrigerator.

"I'm going to frame it and give it to Dr. Carew," Scarola said. "He should hang it. Everybody should know what puppies are capable of putting down their throats."

She thinks one of her six other dogs -- four Saint Bernards, a German shepherd and a Labrador -- somehow got the knife off a counter and it eventually made its way to Elsie.

"She wants to eat everything and anything," Scarola said.

k9krazee
09-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow! Good thing she is a big puppy.....I can't imagine a dog swallowing a whole knife, what a lucky girl she is indeed!

DogLover9501
09-26-2005, 04:29 PM
:eek:

Flatcoatluver
09-26-2005, 05:19 PM
omg what a huge knife! lucky puppy!

lizbud
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
I did see that article. The owner said the St Bernard pup was
the kind of puppy that ate everything she could her mouth on.
Really wouldn't have believed a dog could do that.:D

RobiLee
09-26-2005, 05:53 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chica
09-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I just saw that on the news while I have been on the computer. I couldn't believe it. That was a lucky puppy!!!!:) ;)

dogzr#1
09-26-2005, 08:06 PM
:eek: Well at least they removed it before it came out the other end. That would have been painful.:eek: I wonder how she swallowed it in the first place. Ohh well I am glad she is doing ok now.:)

Pam
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM
I saw that on TV and they showed the x-ray. I can't even begin to imagine how that thing went down without cutting the poor pup to pieces. :eek: :eek: :eek:

cocker_luva
09-26-2005, 10:27 PM
good girl

K9karen
09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
That's one lucky pupster! Like a sword swallower. Yikes! It's been playing on our news stations for days. The owner said she made a turkey and put the knife down next to it. It was 4 days until she realized the dog wasn't feeling well. My friend's year old bulldog ate the entire cushion, and part of the arm from her sofa. She had to have immediate emergency surgery.