PDA

View Full Version : Who feeds raw, who feeds kibble?

lv4dogs
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
I know posts like this have come up in the past but things change.
I'm not looking for discusions or anything, that can be in a separate post.
I just want to know how many of you feed raw or kibble or both.

cali
09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
I feed only Raw, but I do use kibble as training treats, we buy the cheap sample bags, dont care what brand, but they are the perfect size for training tidbits.

k9krazee
09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I feed only kibble, my parents won't let me feed raw. Someday when I am living on my own I will feed my dogs raw, it just seems so much more natural and healthier for them.

binka_nugget
09-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Raw for us :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
I feed kibble with water and usually a vegetable of some sort for dinner and breakfast. They do get raw bones once or twice weekly but that's all they get as far as raw things go....

Lobodeb
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
I only feed kibble. I guess I still have that old wives' tale in my head that if you feed a dog raw meat, they'll get worms. If I give Maggy a bone, even that has to be cooked.

Suki Wingy
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
kibble, occasionally other healthy things mixed in.

wolfie
09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
just kibble for us.

and don't forget, some people feed canned! it's not on your poll.

lv4dogs
09-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by wolfie
just kibble for us.

and don't forget, some people feed canned! it's not on your poll.

Ok, so canned would be considered kibble here, since it is pre-made and not hand made.

Thank you though!

Buddy Blaze Lover
09-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Just kibble here!:)

Shelteez2
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
I feed kibble (Innova Evo) with the occassional raw meal....

I want to start feeding raw full time though... I just need to get off my lazy butt and find a good source for meat.... I already bought a freezer for the dogs... lol

Flatcoatluver
09-23-2005, 05:33 PM
THE ONLY THING I MIX IN WITH MY DOGS MEAL IS OLIVE OIL TO HELP THERE COAT

Glacier
09-23-2005, 05:46 PM
I feed both...I feed a working dog kibble, Acana Performance and raw meat. They get meat 4 days a week, kibble the rest of the time. No real set schedule, depends if I feel like chopping meat or scooping kibble when i go out to feed them! I have a great source for free wild game meat so they get lots of that. There are always moose bones in the yard for chewing.

Oh, Paxil gets canned food a couple times a week dumped on her kibble. She eats inside and can't eat raw meat anymore so she gets canned food instead.

luvofallhorses
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Kibble & Wet food

Jessika
09-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Mainly dry dog food, but they get the occasional eggs, green beans, apple, etc. :)

Vette
09-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Only kibble for my fuznugget. with some popcorn every now and then. ;)

wolfsoul
09-23-2005, 10:04 PM
I am searching for an outdoor freezer -- until then, I am feeding EVO and RAW. I'd really like to switch to a full RAW diet, but there's just not enough freezer space, so until I get a bigger freezer, I'll be sticking with this, which is too bad, because Visa has really gone downhill since eating kibble.

AllAmericanPUP
09-23-2005, 11:28 PM
just kibble here

though i did just join a new raw feeding yahoo group for my area...if I can get it cheap enough i might do half kibble half raw...we shall see...

edited to ad: i would also have to get an outdoor freezer...our freezer is very small..

Giselle
09-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I am searching for an outdoor freezer -- until then, I am feeding EVO and RAW. I'd really like to switch to a full RAW diet, but there's just not enough freezer space, so until I get a bigger freezer, I'll be sticking with this, which is too bad, because Visa has really gone downhill since eating kibble.

That is exactly why I switched Lucky to raw and EVO. Lucky's health deteriorated like you wouldn't believe it. After hopping from brand to brand for five years, I finally made the leap into raw and EVO. Giselle was currently on CSFTDLS, but I switched her to EVO and raw just due to personal preferance. I sometimes do full raw if I have to clean out the freezer quick.

wolf_Q
09-24-2005, 01:30 AM
Kibble, though he does get other snacks and stuff as well

It's a high quality kibble (natural balance) his coat looks great and he's in good shape, healthy, I dont know what difference RAW would make? Maybe keep his teeth clean, but I brush them so that's not really a problem....I worry about him breaking a tooth on a bone. Of course I worry about everything, nothing new! ;)

Maybe if I had lots of time on my hands I would try it, but I have "issues" with raw meat :o so it's not likely.

finn's mom
09-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I worry about him breaking a tooth on a bone.

Not trying to convert you. ;) Just wanted to point out that chicken bones are soft enough when they're raw, that a broken tooth is something I've never even heard of occurring. Other bones, there's definitley that chance. I won't let Finn have beef or pork bones, usually, for that same reason. It's important to worry, that's why I changed to raw. I'm a worry wart, too...:D

So...raw for us! After seeing the transformation in my RB dog, Bruno (I switched him at 13 years over to raw, and, it was the best thing I've ever done), I did a lot of research, and, will probably never feed kibble again. Finn's been eating raw since he was 7 1/2 weeks old. He grew at a much healthier rate than most puppies fed kibble. I never thought he'd get over fifty pounds, to be honest with you! But, he's a standard, healthy 70 pounds now. And, a lot of that weight was put on in the last six months (and, he'll be two in December). Anyway...raw for us! :)

sandragonfly
09-24-2005, 08:53 AM
posted by giselle
Giselle was currently on CSFTDLS...

do you mind spelling that out? :o

crayola prefers kibbles. he, a guy can be a finicky eater sometimes! :rolleyes: but he likes cooked non-chemical/syrup boneless chicken if he's not too hot. we live in a hot city!

LKPike
09-24-2005, 09:43 AM
I feed both! mostly its gotta be low protein, salt, and something else less important I can't remember right now (4 hours sleep)
EDIT: no byproduct and no organs under any circumstances.

anyway, they don't get raw meat very often, but fruits and veggies. when they do get meat it has to be "mushed" or poor frankie gets too excited and... well... the vets always happy when it happens.

lv4dogs
09-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
do you mind spelling that out? :o

crayola prefers kibbles. he, a guy can be a finicky eater sometimes! :rolleyes: but he likes cooked non-chemical/syrup boneless chicken if he's not too hot. we live in a hot city!

I think she is talking about chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. Forgive me if I'm wrong though

Kfamr
09-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Kibble with occasionally rice and veggies mixed in as a treat.

They are perfectly fine with their health and their coats look and feel wonderful, so there's no need for a change.

petslover
09-24-2005, 12:23 PM
We feed Kibble.

JenBKR
09-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Flatcoatluver
THE ONLY THING I MIX IN WITH MY DOGS MEAL IS OLIVE OIL TO HELP THERE COAT

Me too!

gemini9961
09-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Kibble (Nutro Max). They have never had canned. They do get some special treats once in a while. Some fruits occassionally. They are in good health, so I will stick with their diet. Although, last night they got hamburger meat (cooked) and rice. Ran out of kibble. :( They thought they had died and went to heaven. :) I think I'm going to start adding a little olive oil to help with their coats a little more. They look fine now, but anything to make them look better I will do.

gkristian
09-24-2005, 05:58 PM
it's both for us

anna_66
09-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Kibble here (Eagle Pack). Ocassionally a few raw fruits and veggies for a treat.

Giselle
09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Gina, yup, I mean Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. She was doing nicely on it, but I just don't like kibble much anymore.

tikeyas_mom
09-24-2005, 11:44 PM
lotsa people I know feed a home-cooked or Raw diet... They keep the coat nice, and soft.

I don't feed raw or home-cooked though. I feed kibble, Raw/or home-cooked seems like it would be too much of a hassel to prepare.. I mean, to add the perfect amount of vitamins etc etc.

Also I think Tikeya would beef up really bad if she was on a Raw or home-cooked diet lol. :p

Bigyummydog
09-25-2005, 02:22 AM
I've been trying to get away from the old wives tale about feeding a pit bull raw meat. I really don't know where I got that. He gets "cereal" Nutro and Natural balance mixed. I
have been trying to give him more raw meat. We eat alot
of raw veggies. We will both lay on the couch and eat tons
of baby carrots and sliced zuccini while we watch a movie.
He loves veggies, so I take full advantage. Oh, and you
should see him eat corn on the cob. He will shuck it himself if
he has to. I should get a picture one day.

Lobodeb
09-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Bigyummydog
Oh, and you should see him eat corn on the cob. He will shuck it himself if he has to. I should get a picture one day.

I'd love to see that! :D

lv4dogs
09-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I feed kibble (Innova Evo) with the occassional raw meal....

I want to start feeding raw full time though... I just need to get off my lazy butt and find a good source for meat.... I already bought a freezer for the dogs... lol

I'm the opposite, I found the meat I just have to buy a freezer. lol
I feed raw at night, kibble (evo to Kaige & Nutro Natural Choice large breed senior for Raustyk & Nanook).

But I'm not sure about Kaige getting raw. I am experimenting right now to see if I can the raw to work with him. I've got to give it a little more time & also will have to try other meat sources. But right now he gets it at night, then in the am he vomits, just bile though then he's fine as soon as he gets food in his tummy again. Its like the raw gets digested faster causing a little bit of an upset stomach because it's empty.

crsvstang
09-26-2005, 12:27 PM
I feed mine kibble, occasionally I will cook something for them.

ramanth
09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Kibble. California Natural Lamb and Rice. With Safflower and/or Fish oil mixed in for her coat. Occasionally I give her pasta, rice, fruits and vegetables with her kibble.

I tried home cooked and Kia wouldn't eat it! I guess if the dog doesn't like my cooking... :o :rolleyes:

RobiLee
09-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Katie and Tori both eat kibble mixed with a homecooked portion of ground beef, rice and corn. I make a big batch of the homecooked stuff about every 10 days and divide it in portions and freeze it. It is the only thing we have been able to get Katie to eat. She is very fussy. :rolleyes:

tricollie4me
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM
We feed kibble only -- Nutro Max Puppy. Bijou does very well on it -- her coat is so shiny and thick that folks always ask if she's just been bathed and groomed (it's a nice compliment!). We keep a few Nutro Max Puppy Drumstrick biscuits on hand to offer as her training rewards as well. I sometimes give her a chunk of apple or carrot and she's very happy with that. She's a food-motivated and love-motivated girl, so she's easy to please on all counts:)

sammy101
09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Mine only get kibble,with canned mixed in.But they get other things added in like vegetables,rice,meat,etc.