PDA

View Full Version : Therapy Dogs

CagneyDog
09-20-2005, 08:20 PM
Does anyone know what you have to go through to get the therapy dog certificate thing.

What is the training like? Is the test hard?

What companies do you need to go through to get it?

tigergrrrl
09-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Are you thinking about doing Therapy with your dog?:)

slleipnir
09-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I want to do it with Zeke, and may take the test in november or so.

I hear they have to pass a number of tests..like, they CAN'T jump up on anyway...they have to be able to hear loud crashes/sounds and not be afraid...go up to things like a wheelchair/walker and "touch" it. Be ok around people wearing white jackets...etc...or so that;s what I hear they do HERE.

shutterbug0303
09-20-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm going to do this with Skye so I've read up on it...

First you need to have your CGC...the testing information and requirments are found here:

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Then for the therapy test, it's basically the same test, but with some added medical equipment tests and such:

http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

This website is from Therapy Dogs International. I know that Amy (Cincy'sMom) does therapy with her dogs so she will know a little more about the testing. I'm not absolutely sure if you must have the CGC before you test, but that is the way my training school does it, so that's just what I assume!

Good Luck! Therapy can be extremely rewarding for both the dog and the owner!! :D

Jessika
09-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
I want to do it with Zeke, and may take the test in november or so.

I hear they have to pass a number of tests..like, they CAN'T jump up on anyway...they have to be able to hear loud crashes/sounds and not be afraid...go up to things like a wheelchair/walker and "touch" it. Be ok around people wearing white jackets...etc...or so that;s what I hear they do HERE.

Yeah my pups definitely wouldn't pass the initial screening. Jamie is just always sooo happy to see EVERYBODY, and poor Charlie is afraid of his own shadow. :(

CagneyDog
09-20-2005, 10:18 PM
thanks guys

Glacier
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Depends where you live and where you want to do the therapy work too. There is no way to get the normal therapy dog training where I live, but Earle has done therapy work at our local nursing homes. He has no formal training. He was assessed by the lady that runs the pet therapy program here. He had to not jump, know his basic obedience commands and have a reliable down-stay. She also looked for overall temperment--calm, outgoing, not afraid of wheelchairs, canes ect.

Earle loves going to visit kids and the elderly. More people to pet him!

Giselle
09-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I looked into both the CGC and TDI tests and I have a feeling that Giselle would do absolutely wonderfully! She's so boring, she'd pass all the tests with flying colors. Don't act scared? No problem! This girl doesn't know what the word "scared" means. She also has the memory of a goldfish, so she wouldn't remember what to be scared of anyways. She thinks we're going to the dog park when the white coats come to get her :D The only thing she probably couldn't perform well is the "Sit" part.

I'm such a supportive dog mom, eh?

CagneyDog
09-21-2005, 09:13 AM
LOL Giselle :p

Im going to call our trainer today and see if he knows anywhere to get the therapy dog test

tatsxxx11
09-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Are you looking to get "therapy pet" certification or to do visits to nursing homes, etc? I was certified through the Delta Society, but only medical professionals, psychologists, social workers etc. can be certified in pet therapy. It's more involved and you work directly with patient one on one with other health care professionals. They also have the Pet Partners program which is fabulous! You have to check their website for contacts/classes in your area or you can take the course at home via video and take the written test at home as well, but both you and your pup must go in person for the "clincial" testing:) Here's the link

Delta Society (www.deltasociety.org)

You can also go the CGC route. A lot of nursing homes and realted facilities will accept a dog that has been CGC certified. Good luck!:)

CagneyDog
09-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Im interested in doing visits at nursing homes and that kind of stuff. :)