PDA

View Full Version : recipes for home made dog food

emily_the_spoiled
09-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Hello everyone, I don't normally post on the dog side (I have only cats). But one of the woman I work with has a dog that has just gone through radiation and surgery for cancer. She is only able to eat soft food and the "mom" doesn't want to give her any preservatives. I know there are recipes for home made cat food, for cats with really sensitive stomachs. Is there such a thing for dogs? She really wants to give this a try and is willing to make her own dog food...

beeniesmom
09-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Oh, I hope the dog gets well soon.

A good homemade stew for dogs:

1 chicken breast diced OR 1 cup ground beef
1 carrot diced
1/2 cup green beans
1/4 uncooked rice
2 tablespoons olive oil

Cook everything in a pot with enough water to cover everything, until rice is tender.

finn's mom
09-20-2005, 03:07 PM
You can also just grind up everything, making it all soft. There are even ways to grind up meat on the bone and make it all soft. Sorry to hear about the dog, and, I wish the dog and it's owner the very best!

IRescue452
09-20-2005, 03:13 PM
I think its great fun making food for pets. I do something like above but everything is cooked seperate without boiling it all in water. For more balance I sometimes add in cranberries or scrambled egg and fish. I only occasionally make homemade food since my animals are living at my mom's house while I'm in college and she isn't going to make all sorts of homemade food for them, but I intend to switch fully when I'm done with school. I hope this dog makes a quick recovery.