PDA

View Full Version : In Memory of Spunky: The BEST Therapy Cat Ever

kb2yjx
09-15-2005, 02:26 PM
It was a year ago today, that my baby boy, Spunky, crossed the bridge. Here is the tribute I wrote about him about 2 weeks after he died.
Spunky is back from the vet. Instead of having my gray tabby with apple green eyes, I have a box of ashes sitting across from me as I write. My heart is broken that my Baby Boy is gone.
Spunky was 14.5 years old when he died. He had been a therapy cat since he was about three months old. Spunky proudly represented the Delta Society for 12 years and 8 months. He was the 15th cat in the USA back in January, 1992, to be awarded Delta Cat status. There was NO assignment that Spunky could not handle. He was treated like royalty at Bloomies in NYC on the Carolee/Socks Clinton assignment. He handled himself with style, when as the Delta Society's representive, he " received " a check on behalf of the Delta Society. Along with Ralph Syracuse, he starred in the Delta Society's Training Video.
The consummate therapy cat " Pro," as I called him. He was always the cat to bring on the first visit to a new facility. Spunky could win the heart of the toughest patient with his purr and endearing manner. Our favourite events were DOG events. We fought very hard to dispel the myth that dogs were the only therapy animal. Spunky stole the show at Expo 2003, by upstaging the dogs. At another VERY dog event, the USS Intrepid Second Annual Search and Rescue Dog Dog Award day, on September 6, 2003. The crowd was astounded to see a CAT, so cool and calm, surrounded by dogs!!
Spunky's shining moment as a therapy cat came on October 28, 2001 at the Pier 94 Family Assistance Center. Family members of the victims of the World Trade Towers were at a Memorial Service at Ground Zero. They were bussed to Pier 94, where they received an urn of earth from Gound Zero and an American Flag. Spunky's innate sense of who neede his special ministering was going full force that afternoon. He worked the crowd(several thousands of people) for over two and a half hours. He was petted, carried about to show family members, photographed, and cried upon. I could never have been more proud of Spunky than I was that day. He proved beyond a doubt, he WAS the best in any situation.
Toward the end of his life, Spunky visited only the Carmelite Sisters at the Monastery close to our home. He absolutely loved visiting them Spunky would leap from my arms onto the counter in the turn room and paw at the turn. Once the turn came to our side, he would jump in, and be whisked off to see the Sisters. Now, the old seasoned pro, he was enjoying himself and it showed when he returned to me.
Spunky has been on radio, television, and is in several Delta Society videos. There have been numerous articles written about him, he was featured in newspapers, and has appeared in several books. Spunky(and Ralph Syracuse) won the Delta Society's 1995 Lifetime Achievement: Therapy Cat of the Year. Then in 1999, he was awarded the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Association's Cat of the Year: Therapy Division.
There will never be another cat like Spunky. To me, he was the Superstar of therapy cats. His star will shine brightly forever in my heart!

I miss my Spunky terribly. I know he is always with me, but I miss our routines. One funny thing about Spunky, he was an absolute TERROR at the vet's office!!! They found it so hard to believe that he was such a good therapy cat, until they saw him on video!!
This treasure was found in a cage at the Somerset County Shelter huddled in a cage with several kittens. He was overlooked for adoption many times, he was an older kitten and his ears were too big!!! He eventually DID grow to fit his ears, and he was my soulmate. Spunky was an incredible cat!!

Cataholic
09-16-2005, 10:36 AM
What a beautiful tribute to Spunky. Absolutely beautiful. May he be RIP, forever in your heart.

catmandu
09-16-2005, 11:31 AM
AND SPUNKY,IS CONTINUING HIS GOOD WORK,WITH THE PET TALKERANGELS,VISITING THE ELDERLY,AND FRAIL,IN THE CITIES,THAT THEY VIST,ALL OVER THE WORLD.
HE LOVES,ALL PEOPLE,AND EVEN THOUGH THESE PEOPLE CANNOT SEE HIM,THEY CAN FEEL HIS WARMTH,AND ENERGY.
AND HE KNOWS,THAT YOU MISS HIM,BUT HE SAYS,THAT HE WILL SEE YOU AGAIN,AND YOU WILL BE TOGETHER AGAIN,ONE FINE DAY!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/Picture742.jpg

merril
09-18-2005, 11:49 PM
At Rainbow Bridge cats that have had something extra will I am sure be leading the way and still teaching others their skills.
Miracles come along only once in a while the ordionary not!
Laureen

Sus
09-20-2005, 05:51 AM
What a beautiful tribute to a lost friend. I didn't know that there existed any such thing as a "therapy cat", and I don't know what the Delta Society is - but your Spunky certainly sounds like he was one of a kind! :cool:

I do understand that you miss him... :(

Lots of love,
Sus and the Bellacat

merril
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM
I finally got this picture done of Jasper and although you can't tell what the background is ...believe me it's the bath:D