PDA

View Full Version : Wandering dog on street (in KY) looking for good home

daisyshuman8
08-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Hey all-

For the past few weeks, there has been a dog wandering on our street. She has a collar on and two tags, including a recent rabies vaccination tag from the vet. She doesn't have an identification tag, so I don't know who she belongs to. I have seen her off and on and figured she belonged to someone who doesn't know she is loose. However, this has become a habit and tonight, I started to wonder if she has careless owners or if she is in fact a stray dog. I asked my neighbor down the street this evening if he knew where she lived because he knew her name (Maggie) and he said he called once on her tags and she belonged to a lady who no longer could care for her so she gave her to her handicapped mother. The mother couldn't care for her either since she was blind and had a low fence (why the dog kept escaping), and so she figured that if let the dog out on her own, someone will eventually take her in. Stupid idea, yes, there are some foolish people in this world.

So I guess this means Maggie needs a home. She keeps on wandering on my street, and I hate seeing her do that. I can't keep her-I already have a jealous beagle (and I don't think my parents need another dog LOL). My street is a good neighborhood-we have been feeding her and neighbors come up to her and pet her. She even follows the kids around and people walking down the street. Cars are careful when they see her on the road-but you never know, one day some jerk can fly by and hit her (we do have occasional speeders on our street)

Would anybody on this board care to give her a loving home or know someone who could take her in? I have noticed so far that she is a very FRIENDLY dog and very approachable. She loves to come up to you and roll over (how I discovered she was female LOL). I don't know any other websites like this where I can post the same information. I asked my neighbor if we should get the animal control to pick her up, but he said they would probably euthanize her in five days. We have a humane society (a few) where I live and wonder if I should take her to one of those. I never took a dog there before and didn't know if I had to meet any qualifications. I would love to see her get a good home because she is a very sweet, very friendly, adorable dog!

Here's the lowdown on her:

Name : Maggie
Breed : Well, I think she has hound in her. My dad thinks she looks like a plott hound, sort of a tall and skinny hound
Appearance : She's a beautiful dog-I have a few pics of her below. She's got some brown and reddish tones in her coat. She is approx a year and a half (from what my neighbor said). She is young though-her nipples are not visible yet if that tells you anything. She is a little on the skinny side but I think that might be part of her breed. She seems to eat well-I offered her some food and she ate little of it-other people have been feeding her so she has quite the selection of fine dining LOL
Disposition She is a very friendly dog-very excellent with kids. If she sees someone on our street-she comes up to them. She occasionally howls like a hound sometimes but other than that she is very sweet. We have some kids on our street who like to play with her and she will follow them around and everything. She likes to roll on her back and be silly. She comes to me very easily so she isn't timid around people. My beagle (who is twice smaller than she) barked at Maggie and she backed away and left

But like I said, I'd really love to find her a home-she is too sweet to pass up. I'd love for her to find someplace warm at nite to sleep instead of the cold grass (I saw her lying down in my neighbor's yard earlier tonight). I can't keep her at my place long-term but I see her everyday-so if someone wanted her, I'm sure I could keep her for a short if I knew someone would definitely give her a home.

I'd love to hear any kind of advice or tips I could do for Maggie's sake-any additional websites where I can post this same message. I come on here often, looking around and don't see many people where I am from (Northern KY/Southern IN) so I don't know how hard it would be to find someone who could give her a home or at least give me some ideas where I can post additional messages in this area. Anything would help though, no matter if you live in KY or as far as California! I appreciate any type of response for my message!!

I would just want to give Maggie the loving home she deserves. She is very friendly, a wonder with children, and she seems to be recently taken care of -being that she has her 2005 rabies vaccination tag on and a tag from our city (not sure what that means). I am sure if she found a home, her records could be retrieved since she has a current rabies tag on and a number on it. I don't want her to end up someplace bad or get hurt or anything because she is too much of a doll to go through that.

If you would like to give her a home or know of someone who could, let me know! Thanks for reading this and hope you can help Maggie out :)

Maggie's pictures:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/pc79a3c917267decbd14d9cc52fd1bdad/f2aaa90e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p584ea99ea1d06f27da2dae74a382cc24/f2aaa845.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p866bd8c752b0d0a36cbc735f68c47705/f2aaa7a4.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/p50d0a6eed7487bffe76b0ccdcdd6e0e5/f2aaa6f2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid183/pe6958c864a6bbf2c8a6a3dc4dd8235a0/f2aaa64d.jpg

animal_rescue
08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Aw she's so sweet looking!! I am worried that no one is willing to take her in even to foster though... I think it would be best to get her off the streets as soon as possible and take her to the Humane Society. They should take her in, hopefully she'll be adopted soon, she's sweet and totally adorable!

daisyshuman8
08-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Aww thanks animal_ rescue! She is indeed a loving girl-I was on my front porch this evening and she came right up to me and rolled over (then I had to close my front door because my dog starting barking at her, jealousy LOL)

I have really considered taking her to the humane society (Kentucky Humane Society more than likely-does anyone know how good of a shelter this is in putting animals up for adoption?). I have never brought an animal there-just went one time with a cousin when looking for my grandma's lost yorkie.

If I can get her tomorrow, I will take her to the humane society. I just feel so bad doing it. I know she will be in better hands-but I just hate taking her someplace so unfamiliar for her and confined. I don't want her to be scared of the place. But I guess it is better for her there than on the streets. Do they treat animals pretty well at humane societies? The KHS is a well-known animal rescue in the state of KY. I don't think it is a kill shelter.

Karen
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
She is a beauty, that's for sure. If it's a no-kill shelter, then I'd feel good about leaving her there. She's so sweet that someone will surely adopt her soon!

sandragonfly
08-25-2005, 02:36 AM
oh my friend...maggie! :( those sweet pictures laying outside cold & alone breaks my heart.

wow.. one dog in a city with 4,000+ residents & 200+ passbys...amazing world! THANK YOU for spotting her & doing this!!

sure, you can take her to humane society (one of best places I would take her to) today but please, please ask humane society if any how they would put her to sleep before you confirm her away.

have you try petfinder.com? and/or rescue group searches in yahoo!/craiglist?

good luck, keep your muzzle up maggie!

hugs,
..gina

daisyshuman8
08-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for your responses Karen and Gina's Ark. Maggie's still around as of this morning-I have been feeding her and giving her water and so has the other neighbors. My next door neighbor thinks she likes it on our street because we keep feeding her LOL

But anyways, I did find out a little more about Maggie-my next door neighbor told me this morning that her "owners" in fact doesn't want her. She belonged to a woman who had to move to a trailer and couldn't take Maggie along so she gave her to her mom who seems she cant take care of her either-she is handicapped and cannot keep Maggie indoors because she has an old pit bull blind in one eye (I thought the lady was blind but it was confirmed the pit was blind). So because she is an outdoor dog, she keeps escaping the very low fence she has-as a result, the mother feels like she can't take care of her so she is looking for a home for her. Dumping your dog out on the streets in hopes for a new home isn't the best of thought, but sadly there's some people who do that and unfortunately, Maggie's previous "owner" did the exact thing.

If there is any good news I found out, Maggie is SPAYED so if someone gave her a home they wouldn't have to deal with her going through heat and having unwanted litters. Also she has a tag on with recent vacinnations so her medical records are available at her vet (which is an EXCELLENT vet, it is where I take my Daisy). Overall, she is such too sweet and so good with kids-hopefully I can find her a home. My brother is wanting to call the pound on her and thinks I am crazy for trying to find a home for Maggie, so I better find her a place fast before he does so!!!

Thanks for the website suggestions Gina! I did think of a place I could post her story in my area-don't know if it will work, but I can try!! I will also try yahoo/petfinder/etc like you suggested...

Paws and fingers crossed that we find Maggie a home that loves her!

mugsy
08-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I would see if anyone on your street would be willing to foster her. I would need to know where you are in KY and then I would need to you somehow type up a piece of paper saying that the people no longer wanted her and have them sign it so then you won't have the issue of you trying to "steal" their dog. Do you have any idea how old she is? Good with other dogs? Cats? People? Kids? Any obedience training evident? If you get me that info I will see if I can find a rescue to take her in.

My email is [email protected]

Molly

daisyshuman8
08-25-2005, 01:51 PM
That is a good thought mugsy (about making up a paper)-I know several neighbors have gone to this lady and she said that she doesn't want to care for Maggie anymore and wants her to find a new home. So that's a pretty clear sign she doesn't want her. The next time I see Maggie I will try to get the contact info of her previous owner (hopefully I won't have a problem)

So far none of my neighbors that are caring for her with me cannot foster her. My neighbor did allow her in the backyard to play with her dog and to throw a ball around. I wish I can foster her but my family doesn't want another dog in the house. If I had my own place, I'd foster her in a heartbeat!

Here's what I can give you Mugsy on Maggie:

Good with other dogs? My neighbor said she played with her dog today and got along fine. She is calm around other dogs-my beagle barks at her (ok, she howls LOL) whenever she sees her and Maggie doesn't bark back
Cats? Not sure around cats but I have seen a couple cats around her area and she seems to be fine around them
People? Kids? She is sooo good with people. This is one of the reasons why I want to find her a home. She is so friendly and so loving. She comes up to you, loves to be petted and rubbed. I saw some neighborhood kids play with her and she just runs with them and follows them around
Any obedience training evident? Not much-she seems well-behaved though

She probably would need a home that has a tall fence or she would need to be indoors--she often escaped out of a very low fence.

Thanks for your help Mugsy!

daisyshuman8
08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi again-still searching for a home for Maggie. Some people have recommended sites to post her info and I have done that. Others have recommended placing her in a rescue group and a some have given me contact info for some groups in my area but no luck yet! It's worrying me to death that she cannot find a home-she deserves one so much. She's so friendly and comes right up to you, wanting to be petted and loved. I have listed her info on petfinder and on craigs list. I guess I will try to look to see if I can find any rescue groups in my area (Louisville,KY). The thing is, I never placed a dog in a rescue group. Are they pretty good? I just want to make sure Maggie is in a safe place and will be cared for until she finds the forever, loving home she needs. I need to find a place for her soon-my brother is threatening to call the pound on her! Hopefully good luck for Maggie's sake will come soon! Thanks for everyone's advice and tips so far!

sandragonfly
08-26-2005, 02:58 PM
daisy, what changes your mind about humane society? have you tried that yet, that would give a less risk for maggie... being hit a car or get hurt by someone.

thankfully she's sweet and seems is a laid-back girl so it should be easier finding a home for her!

I've never given my stray dogs I found on the street to rescue groups so I don't know much about this.. have you talked with maggie's owner about all of this? giving her a good home, etc? how far is that woman away from you? it should be her responsiblity! :rolleyes:

whatever happens, good luck!!

daisyshuman8
08-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks Gina's Ark!

I was going to take her to the humane society yeterday but I was told by some people to see if someone would take her in around here. That hasn't happened yet, so now I am really considering taking her to a shelter. I dont know though-something inside of me is making me kind of worried about dropping Maggie off there. I know they will take excellent care of her, but I am just worried that she won't find a home. Then again, she will be safe there and not in the streets ;) Unfortunately, my humane society is a kill shelter, and so my dad gave me the name of a non-profit shelter in Louisville (ever heard of the Shamrock Foundation?) to try-his client adopted a dog from and told my dad about the place-she said it's a pretty good place.

I have had many neighbors call this woman and one even brought Maggie back to her, and all she said is that she wants to find another home for her and cannot take care of her-so she just let her go. Seems to me that this woman is pretty lazy :rolleyes: Based on this and how Maggie keeps on being loose, I don't think this woman is going to do much. A couple of my neighbors know for a fact (because they talked with her) that she doesn't want Maggie.

I guess I'll have to decide what to do next. I'll let everyone know! All that matters is that Maggie will find a safe and forever home. Thanks!

mugsy
08-27-2005, 09:58 AM
I have sent her pictures and Sara's description out to all of my rescue contacts in hopes that one of them will say that they will take her. I'll beg if need be and I am good friends with many of them. But, I am sure that they will want a signature from the owner relinquishing rights to her. Sara, if I can find someone, do you think your family would go along with keeping her for a week so that I can get transport arranged?

daisyshuman8
08-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Mugsy, if I know for certain that a home can be found for Maggie, I can make sure that all of your requests can be made. I don't know about keeping her for a week though-that has to be tough. My family thinks it will all be a hassle.

I sent you an email about the Shamrock Foundation and how they are inviting me to come to their adoption day today, that is if I can make it-there may be a slim chance that I can get someone to foster her for a week until a transport can be arranged though if someone can take her in.

I have 2 or 3 different plans spinning right now and hopefully one of them can lead to Maggie getting the home she needs and deserves!

mugsy
08-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I think I have an EXCELLENT place for her to go. A friend of mine thinks she can help her. I am going to call her. Why don't you email me your phone number and I will talk to your parents and tell them how fostering for a week works and how it will save her life, etc.

lizbud
08-27-2005, 11:33 AM
daisyshuman8,

Please stay in touch with Mugsy. If anyone can help you get this dog taken care of, it's her.She is well known on this board
and does great work for animal rescue. Best of luck with this.:)

mugsy
08-27-2005, 11:36 AM
AWWWW!!! Well thanks Liz!!! That's awfully sweet of you to say. If Quincey can take her, there is no better place for her.

daisyshuman8
08-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks Liz and Mugsy (yay for Hoosiers, our fellow friends across the river LOL. I actually went to Holiday World this summer with family from Leavensworth, IN and I told them I would tell everyone when I got back home to KY that I had a big vacation this summer-went across the river to Indiana LOL. Cracks them up everytime :D ) In Louisville here, we're often called Kentuckiana-how funky is that :rolleyes:

Anyways with Maggie, I have been on this board many,many times mainly reading posts and know for a fact that Mugsy has helped alot of dogs find homes! It kind of feels like an honor having her help ME :) She has a big heart and extends her hand, even if it is many states away!

Mugsy-is Quincey a friend of yours, a rescue? Is he/she the one in MA you were telling me about? Like I said, let me see if the situation with the Shamrock Found in my area is going to work-if not, I will get ahold of you! Thanks so much for what you are doing!

sandragonfly
08-27-2005, 12:05 PM
yay! three hopeful plans is better than nothing! grrrrreat!

maggie, keep us posted okay? I'm looking forward to a best news - I wish I'm closer to give you a hug!

(((maggie))) and thank you, daisy!! :)

daisyshuman8
08-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks Gina! I'm hoping for the best too! I am so grateful you all care so much about this situation-I guess that proves the saying "love has no boundries"

I'll tell Maggie you all care for her! The sweet girl right now is across the street playing with three little girls, her tail wagging like crazy. She is so good with kids-it's a shame we can't find her a home where the kids will fall over her :)

I think during this ordeal, my own little beagle is getting jealous. I think she wants everyone her to say hi to her too LOL.

mugsy
08-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Ok, my friend Dawn will take her....I have to set up a transport, but we need to talk about how you are going to get him into a transport.

daisyshuman8
08-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Mugsy, this is as of Sun 8:00 Eastern time-Maggie is nowhere to be seen! I have rode around my street and a couple other close streets looking for her, but she has disappeared! Not typical of Maggie, since she often spends her waking hours on my street, basking in the grass, lying on neighbors' porches, and running along with the kiddies. Not a good sign since she has not been on our street today!

I called the lady from Shamrock-left a message since she didn't answer! Told her the same thing-Maggie ihasn't been around. Hopefully she is in a safe place or somebody gave her a good home. I am crossing my fingers she is still around here-since Maggie is MIA, the possible transport may have to be delayed until further notice.

Here's hoping Maggie is out there, safe as can be!!

daisyshuman8
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Mugsy-sent you an email about some new things happening with Maggie-don't worry she is OK (still needs a home) but she is perfectly fine.

I DID get in reach with the Shamrock lady, Michelle-wee! She's wanting me to try to hang on to her for a few days and see if we can find her a home. All she needs to do is find a foster and it is smooth sailing from there since Shamrock is a no-kill shelter since its pets are fostered or kenneled. Nice to know :D She is going to call Maggie's vet and get her medical stuff confirmed-I might even be able to get her checked out for free courtesy of Shamrock (Michelle actually does the medical financial aid at Shamrock)

Better news-my dad said as long as we don't get used to Maggie and vice versa, we can board her in our backyard (it is fenced in all the way) for a few days until Michelle can find her a foster home or better yet, a permanent home can be found! They're going to put her pic up on their website soon. I'm just glad I got ahold of her finally and now things can be done. Wishing I can take her to their adoption day 1-4 Sat but with high gas prices and sharing the family car, dont think I can.

I guess with that said, now that I know what is going to be done with Shamrock, the transport may not be needed but not forgotten. Always good to have a backup plan huh? I feel better though knowing Maggie's forever home is getting closer, thanks to tonight! Makes me feel better :)

sandragonfly
09-02-2005, 02:37 PM
just checking in.. any news today?

I'd love to see the website with her picture up - I hope taking her to a good home won't extend anymore!

daisyshuman8
09-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi Gina! I do have some excellent news about Maggie-we are on our way of getting her into a loving home! A lady showed interest in her-she saw my ad I posted on a website here in local about Maggie and said she was looking for a similar dog for her brother who is autistic and needs a compantion dog-he had a hound like Maggie but she passed away. She actually donated to the shelter Maggie is going to be put thru and if things work out, she is going to adopt her thru there and has no problem doing so since she is involved in animal welfare and feels like the shelter has a good cause in putting animals in loving homes. Really seems like things fell in place for the right reason!! I am so glad!

But it isn't over yet. We have to wait for the application to be approved and everything-may take a day, make take a few days, may take a week we don't know. All that matters is that Maggie is closer to her new home. In addition, I am waiting to see what the volunteer from the shelter says about Maggie's medical records-she was supposed to call the vet and see what she can find. The shelter is no-kill, non-profit and they rely on donations. The animals in the program are all fostered by people, they aren't in kennels (the majority aren't in kennels) The adoption fee includes vet checkup and everything and so I don't know if I will have to take her to the vet or not.

But this is better news than this time last week! I'm excited and I know Maggie has to be as well! :D

daisyshuman8
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone-I have great news to report!

Maggie has a home at last!!!

This has been the greatest news I could ever ask for! The lady I have told you about that was interested in Maggie was approved by the shelter and she is now living with her!! Great news indeed but the only drawback is right now the lady is fostering Maggie for 2 weeks, kind of like a trial period to make sure Maggie will fit right in and be the perfect pet (she already is!!)-and if everything is fine, Maggie will be OFFICIALLY hers! But the main thing is that she has a warm place at nite, has plenty of toys, great food and people who love her. How great can that be??

It was a sign I think that Maggie would have her home tonight because I actually put Maggie in my yard today to let her interact with Daisy-I took a few pictures that I'll add below of Maggie lying around and playing with Daisy:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/p7928fd27d75cddf5bc21121f8cd7dd28/f26e83f3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pad3167c1da98c551ef84d4ad7874a942/f26e8342.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pa0b068270459d90b89ed33b6616cae94/f26e81a9.jpg
I am so ashamed of Daisy. She knows better LOL

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pac5d1f30a55784b08cb648377d4f3612/f26e7fb4.jpg

Here's the story of Maggie getting her new home: Around 7, the shelter volunteer called and said Maggie's foster (for now) was approved and that the foster (named Karen) would call me. Karen called right after and volunteered to drive almost 40 min from her home to come get Maggie :)

Maggie was so happy and ran right up to Karen, tail wagging and jumping around. The little kids who I said before saw her leave and was worried what was happening to Maggie. One little girl, around 7 or 8 asked Karen if she was the pound lady and Karen said of course not-she was going to give Maggie a good home. So, it was like a little bon voyage party when Karen came to pick up Maggie-neighbors who took care of her came over to bid her farewell, the neighborhood kids who ran around with her came by. A couple were upset about her leaving and waved to her when she left. It was sweet yet sad to see Maggie go to her new place but it will be a great adventure for her.

So I'll be keeping in touch with Karen on Maggie and will try to update you all about once a week or two on her progress. My Daisy, who at first was pretty jealous of Maggie being around, has slowly gotten used to her. I think she and Maggie were beginning to become friends when Maggie had to go. And because of this, Daisy has been depressed ever since then:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pc0b0d4f799b5b7ddff967b7404843e7a/f26e8259.jpg
She is still in this position. She might need therapy LOL

I just want to thank everyone for their help, their kind words, advice they've given. It was all worth it in the end!!! Maggie is in good hands now and will never be on the streets again!! It took some time and patience and alot of pleading from people but it all came out successful and most importantly, Maggie is now safe and in a loving home-protected from fear,abuse,and neglect. She is indeed a happy dog and I couldn't have done it byself-thanks once again and cheers for a happy ending!!!

Maggie says "Thank You!"
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pecde4cc2e7d4f5c8f963899003debe5c/f26e80c6.jpg

Ginger's Mom
09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
What a great ending. :) You put a lot of effort into getting Maggie a good home and your work really paid off for Maggie. I would say thank you for her, but maybe I don't have to. Look at this happy face.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid185/pad3167c1da98c551ef84d4ad7874a942/f26e8342.jpg
You helped make that happen. :) I hope Maggie has a long and happy life in her new home.

sandragonfly
09-07-2005, 10:03 AM
DOGGRATULATIONS!! well done you! :D :D

aw that concerned kid! another animal lover, yay! :)

oh maggie, I'm soo happy you're in safer place! in a warm soft bed, not on a cold hard pavement anymore.

yes please, I would love hearing her (and if possibly, see her sweet face too) weekly update - if you can. :)

maggie, hooray! :D :cool:

daisyshuman8
09-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks Gina! It is great now that Maggie has a home and I couldn't have done it without you all. It was indeed a tough few weeks but it was all worth it in the end!!

By the way: I have an update from Karen (the lady who has Maggie now) on Maggie's first night-seems she did GREAT!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Just thought I'd let you know that the first night is
going great! Maggie is asleep on the living room
floor with the cat right next to her! They actually
seem to like each other :) Lucy (our poodle) is
getting along fine with her, they even played together
for a little while outside. Jason is thrilled, and
she hasn't been shy at all, snuggling with both of us.
I can't wait until my mom gets back from Florida this
weekend and gets to meet her (she's been visiting her
parents). Maggie is just like you said, laid back and
extremely sweet.

She also seems to be pretty housebroken! I was
sitting here watching TV a bit ago and she wandered in
from the kitchen and kind of whimpered. I followed
her to the door and she went right outside to pee! I
think we are all going to get along just great here!
I am so happy!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

She seems to be happy where she is!!All she probably needed was just some TLC!

:)

daisyshuman8
09-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Yay Gina!! I am so glad she's finally in a warm place (next to the kitty LOL) My Daisy won't even get NEAR a cat without howling LOL. I am sure Karen is going to give me constant updates on Maggie and of course I will post them here. I don't know if she has a camera or not-I'll have to ask her.

sandragonfly
09-24-2005, 08:15 AM
wherrre are you maggie???

anything? I sure hope maggie is loving her new home! come on, uppdatty please. :D

daisyshuman8
09-24-2005, 11:22 AM
Hi Gina! Yes, I do get an update from Maggie's foster every week or so. She's doing great in her new home. Right now the lady is fostering Maggie for a few weeks to make sure she will be a good fit but I am almost 100% sure she is going to officially adopt her-she's just waiting on getting a response back from the shelter. The shelter is, I admit, slow at getting back to people, but it is non-profit also and is run by all volunteers. She's loving her new home-gets along great with the the other cat and dog. She is a great companion to lie around with and she is very sweet. She said you couldn't even tell she was a stray dog roaming the streets. She does like to get into puppy mode and like to play a little rough but with training she will do fine-she also had an issue of her having a hard time staying indoors while the woman was at work

"She states her and her family have become attached"

Bull. Looks like to me that she stole the dog. I wonder if the police can get involved. I had an incident one time when my grandmother's dog got lost. We discovered a lady picked him up and claimed she was an animal lover (and the house with a mess and littered with pet urine and feces) and would not give him back to my grandmother. So she called the cops and they managed to get the dog back.