PDA

View Full Version : Herding class, i am so proud *Pics*

cloverfdx
08-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I am one proud Mum right now, i am amazed that something i raised, loved and trained has turned out to be such an awesome dog.

We went to herding again today and as we were pulling into the driveway Elvis started to whine a bit and then the excited tail wagging started, he loves working.

The dogs have improved so much and we started working on commands a bit more seriously today and Elvis is realy starting to understand "Here" (Go anti clockwise around the sheep) and "Behind" (go clockwise around the sheep), and the one command Elvis realy resents is "Stop" he hates to stop when told so i was realy excited today when we got him to stop quite a few times :D.

I love this little boy so much and as a fellow herding friend said "With the right breeding they come out of the whelping box knowing what to do", they are amazing animals.

'Nuff rambling on with the pics...

cloverfdx
08-13-2005, 10:32 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/ElHerd13august1.jpg
"here"
^ He favours going in the oppersite direction so i was happy that he was taking the "Here" command alot better and was not being a little bugger.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/elherdaugust133.jpg
Bringing the sheep to me.

And then this happens........ :o

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/elherdmeground.jpg
LOL i tripped over the sheep, i am such a beginner handler and i cannot read the sheep.

More coming.....

cloverfdx
08-13-2005, 10:36 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/elherd13august2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/elherdstop1.jpg
"Stop" Woohoo :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/Matti1.jpg
I love watching this young lady work.

When we got home Elvis was starving and exhuasted, so after inhaling his dinner (Lamb & Chicken lol) he curled up and.....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/flyball/elsleepgoodboy.jpg
Goodnight bubba boy, you did good.

That'll do!

cali
08-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Cute piccies! glad he is doing well :D

out of curiousity does he always have such an upright working style or is it just the pictures? it just looks weird as BCs work very low more like the Kelpie, but Elvis seems to have his head up quite high :confused:

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Oh, Elvis is such an awesome dog!!:D That's great you've been working with him, I'm sure he loves herding!!;)

Chilli
08-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Wonderful pictures :D
I would be a very pround mum, also! I bet its great watching him develop into a great working dog.
I love sheep....
I love watching dogs herd, its so awesome that they can take commands on the spot and do as they are told, too bad my dogs arent' like that! :o

cloverfdx
08-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone :).

Shayna he does work very upright in the round pen, he is not so bad out in the paddock, hopefully with time he will settle a bit more. He is shaping up to be an ok yard dog, although he does love to get out in the paddock and have a bit more room to work his "Friends".

He went up to one sheep today and tried to introduce himself, the sheep looked at him and was all confused by the tail wagging and friendly greeting lol.

I love watching dogs herd, its so awesome that they can take commands on the spot and do as they are told, too bad my dogs arent' like that!
:D Ditto! i am usually speachless when watching other dogs work.

RobiLee
08-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Way to go, Rhi and Elvis!! I can really hear how proud you are and how much you love that wonderful pup of yours, Rhi. You should be very proud of yourself. I wish I could come and watch you guys sometime. I don't know how you do it though...lol. I have been working with Tori and just trying to get her to "wave". We are getting nowhere:rolleyes:

P.S...I just want to come through the screen and give Elvis a big kiss in the last pic. How cute!

CattleDogMom
08-13-2005, 11:48 AM
That's so cool...

I have an Aussie Shep...maybe she will do that some day. Right now I am working on teaching her that not all humans will starve her or beat her with her leash. (she was removed by the county from her previous home and I was to foster her, but I adopted her instead.)

Right now I am trying to teach her to shake...she is not ready right now, but she will be soon.

I love Border Collies. They are beautiful and probably the smartest dogs I have ever seen. I think all of the herding dogs are so smart...like the Bleu Heelers and the collies and the Aussie Shepd too!:D

Jadapit
08-13-2005, 12:07 PM
You should be proud! I'm sure that takes so much training. Way to go!!:D I live in a small town with lots of herding dogs. People have a lot of cattle and sheep here. I love watching the herding dogs do their job. It's totally amazes me how smart they are.

chocolatepuppy
08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Way to go Rhi and Elvis! Great pictures, even the oops, fell down one ;). It is so interesting to see the pics of the herding! :)

luvofallhorses
08-13-2005, 12:12 PM
You should be very proud :) Hugs to Elvis! :D

cali
08-13-2005, 01:09 PM
lol ok, my gals have never been in a round pen so I dont know how they would be in one lol their first time on sheep was in a 100 yard length rectangular pen with 10 Ewes, so they skipped the round pen alltogether :o

Ginger's Mom
08-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Oh Rhi, you have every reason to be proud. I am so excited for you. You can tell from those pictures that Elvis loves working with the sheep. What a good boy. And the last picture is so adorable, a well earned rest.

bckrazy
08-13-2005, 01:25 PM
aww, Elvis looks SO good, Rhi!! He rawks at Flyball and herding... hes such an over-achiever. :p I think he looks really good, his head only looks upright when he's stopped.. in the 1st and 4th pics he has nice form. Trust me, its much better to have a pup that has softer eye and pays more attention to you than one that freaks out and has a super-strong stare (Gonzo..)!

cyber-sibes
08-13-2005, 07:47 PM
What cool pictures! I think it would be a blast to herd with your dog! (Huskies, of course, don't, but my RB Rosie was 1/2 Austrailian Shepherd and used to herd dogs around the dogpark.) Just look at Elvis go! Don't worry, you'll get your "sheep-feet" workin too! LOL!

dukedogsmom
08-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Hurray for Elvis! I love those pics. I've gotten to watch that on tv a few times. They had geese for it, though. I love how low the dogs crouch down. Elvis had a fun day and that last pic is so cute. What a tired but happy doggy.

Daisy and Delilah
08-13-2005, 09:42 PM
El, you're the coolest and smartest boy in town!! You go Elvis!!! Our favorite pic is the one of him all tuckered out, curled up in the chair. He's a beaut!!

Terry, Daisy and Delilah:)

vinjashira
08-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Well done Elvis, and well done for training him Rhi!

captain
08-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Rhi!!!!

How fantastic!!! You have done so well with the El boy ..... CONGRATS!!!!

Oggyflute
08-15-2005, 03:47 AM
Good one Rhi, and well done Elvis.:)

cloverfdx
08-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks everyone :D. We are going again on Sunday and hopefully my new camera will be back to me by then (Had to send it back because the sales person killed it on me, did not find out until i got home :( ).

I do hope i find my "Sheep feet" soon lol.

Once again thanks to you all.

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 08:28 AM
I'm glad to hear Elvis is doing so good. Woo hoo! Sure looks like a lot of fun!