PDA

View Full Version : Is there Such a thing?????

pitc9
08-11-2005, 07:57 AM
Is there such a thing as a miniture Blue Heeler/Cattle Dog??
I found a dog yesterday and he looks JUST like a heeler, but he's tiny!! I'd guess at about 20-25 pounds. He looks full grown by looking at his paws and teeth, he is not neutered:mad:, had a collar on but no tags:mad: :mad: and is very skinny!:mad: :mad: :mad: I put flyers up and I'm calling the local shelters but I don't know if I'd even like him going back to his owners!

Pawsitive Thinking
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
No idea - sounds like a cutie though

lv4dogs
08-11-2005, 09:01 AM
I have no idea. It's a possibility that they may be a new designer dog, or he may be the runt of the litter, or a mix & thats the only breed that shows?

Just last year I found out that they breed mini aussies now. And a lot of other dogs are being breed smaller. :(

Jadapit
08-11-2005, 09:13 AM
I dont know if there is either. I'm so glad you found the poor guy.
Maybe he's not nutered, that could be why he's running all over the country. I know a lot of female dogs are in heat about now. Keep us posted on him.

pitc9
08-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
Just last year I found out that they breed mini aussies now. And a lot of other dogs are being breed smaller. :(

My friend has one, that's kind of why I thought there were mini heelers too. I'm going to try to take his picture tonight and see if I can upload it (my computer is a pile of poo :( ) so you all can see and let me know what you think.

CathyBogart
08-11-2005, 01:27 PM

The "Mini" aussie was actually the original size working dog...if you look at the history of the breed standard, people have been breeding them BIGGER over the last few decades. So I think it would be more accurate to say that what we call "standard" aussies are actually "super-size".

I've never heard of a mini heeler and a quick search didn't turn up anything. It's possible, or he may be a mutt who looks like a little heeler.

lv4dogs
08-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by CathyBogart
The "Mini" aussie was actually the original size working dog...if you look at the history of the breed standard, people have been breeding them BIGGER over the last few decades. So I think it would be more accurate to say that what we call "standard" aussies are actually "super-size".

Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing!
I did know that a lot of them (and a lot of other breeds too) became bigger over the years, but thought that most of the reputable breeders have kept the standard sizes. Thats why when you go to a dog show, Aussie's, Rott's, Husky's just to name a few look a lot smaller than what you'd see in a neighbors yard.
I'm surprised I didn't find that in any of my research, cause I certainly did a heck of a lot of it! lol

AllAmericanPUP
08-11-2005, 02:05 PM
he could be a mutt or runt of the litter or possibly not full grown:confused:

Husky_mom
08-11-2005, 03:32 PM
some while ago i read on a dog magazine that due to some breed popularity, it was possible to start seeing mini versions of some dogs, as to can have them in apartments and so.

because someone loved rotts, goldens, saints, to mention some, and lived in small places now it would be possible for them to have their dream dog in mini size.

the magazine was DOG FANCY if you are intrested, the article was published years ago, but maybe on the web you can still find it. www.dogfancymag.com

Suki Wingy
08-11-2005, 03:55 PM
There is a nasty little farm breeding "pure breed miniature Dalmatians" called Mascott Kennels that works liek a cleaner mill.:mad: It is a descusting, if you ask me. Maybe you could take the dog to one of those low cost neutering clinics and neuter him, then if the owners call you can say, well, he is NOT show quality, and was running free, so too bad.

animal_rescue
08-11-2005, 04:35 PM
ooo I wonder if that's the same kennel breeding Miniature and Toy Aussies?

edti: did another search it's not..

Suki Wingy
08-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I sent that bastard this letter:
Why are dilute dogs as well as dogs with flyaway and even worse, rose ears. In the REAL Dalmatian standard set by the AKC, markings are judged 25 points out of 100 in total. Your dogs have miserable markings, and you seem to only have puppy pictures. I am guessing you just bred runts to runts, which greatly distorted the breed. I am interested in the genetics of it and how it altered many of the Dalmatians’ trademarks, while I am disgusted at the same time. One picture looks like a whippet cross. If your dogs really are true miniature Dalmatians then they should be regesterable with the American Kennel Club, because the only requirements are that both the sire and dam of the puppy were registered with the Kennel Club. I see you are recognized by another obscure association, which would give you allowance to cross existing dogs to other breeds or mixes at first, while then registering them as Miniature Dalmatians, and receiving certificate of registration and maybe even a pedigree, which is lying and scamming to your unaware customers. Can you give me your word that these are all purebred Dalmatians?
Why do you mention the word “Mahogany” as Liver, when it has not ever been used for this breed before? Are you aware that intelligence is almost always coupled with stubbornness? Tri-colors have been almost successfully bred out of true Dalmatians thanks to the efforts and expenses of reliable breeders. Brindle is very rare in Dalmatians, while a lot more evident in whippets. Are you breeding patched individuals against the wishes of breeders?
The proper age to spay and neuter dogs is not, whatever you wish to believe and tell customers, six to nine months of age. To reduce the risk of cancers and prolong the life of the bitch, spaying BEFORE the first heat cycle is necessary. Some bitches come into their first heat at five months. A more reliable age will be twelve weeks and onward.
The dogs being bred by reliable and experienced breeders breeding to match the standard set forth by the AKC have always had quite stable temperaments. The dogs being bred to make money, such as yourself, have developed unsteady temperaments due to lack of attention to temperaments. You are charging much, much more than most reliable breeders with the breed’s welfare at heart do for pet and performance dogs. This should be the opposite, considering there is no option of ever competing in any shows, conformation or performance.

With my concerns for the general welfare of the wonderful Dalmatian breed,

E.M.

jesse_3
08-11-2005, 11:44 PM
That was a pretty good leeter IMO.

As for the mini heeler, I don't know, but I would take it to the vet to have him neutered also, and make the owners repay you for it. If they let their dog run around like that, the least that they could do is make sure that he can't make more "unwanted" puppies that get euthanized because the world is over-populated.

Steph and Jes

lv4dogs
08-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by CathyBogart

I've never heard of a mini heeler and a quick search didn't turn up anything. It's possible, or he may be a mutt who looks like a little heeler.

Actually I've been doing a lot of research on the mini aussies since yesterday & come to find out they were developed after the original size aussie, thus the name mini.

Copied from the miniture aussie breed standard "The history of the North American/Miniature Australian Shepherd actually begins with the history of the Australian Shepherd."

The "full" size Aussie was introduced by the Basque shepherds (from the Spain region) in the mid 1800's the mini Aussie was not even started until the 1960's.

Copied from your friends website (also found in a few other locations) "During the 1960’s, a Californian Australian Shepherd enthusiast acquired several small working Aussies from the rodeo circuit. Intrigued by their compact size, she worked with a veterinarian to develop a breeding program in order to preserve the trait, which quickly resulted in litters producing both dogs only 13 to 14 inches tall as well as larger Australian Shepherds. The smaller dogs eventually became known as "miniature" Australian Shepherds."

The mini aussies are NOT recognized by the ASCA (australian shepherd club of america) nor are they recognized by the AKC. They are recognized by the MASCA, Miniature Australian Shepherd Club of America starting in 1996. The MASCA is no relation to the ASCA though.

lv4dogs
08-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by jesse_3
That was a pretty good leeter IMO.

As for the mini heeler, I don't know, but I would take it to the vet to have him neutered also, and make the owners repay you for it. If they let their dog run around like that, the least that they could do is make sure that he can't make more "unwanted" puppies that get euthanized because the world is over-populated.

Steph and Jes

As nice as that sounds and with good intentions I advice not to. If the owners do care about the dog & find the dog, you can be sued by altering someone elses property. Its sad but dogs are considered property.
Just by chance WHAT IF the dog is just 6 months and of great show quality (show dogs are often smaller than what you normally see) and has awesome plans of breeding or is planning on getting him neutered, he just had to wait till he was 6 months old? He has his full grown teeth by then but isn't fully grown. Or he has medical reasons & can't undergo anesthesia or something. You just never know & people these days can be very mean & money hungry.

I'd put up fliers around town, in your local paper, let all area vets & shelters know. And if no one claims him after the allowed amount of time (varies by towns & states but usually around 5-10 days if he is not claimed he can be considered yours). THEN you can neuter him and they can't do a thing about it. Of course the dog would leggaly be yours by then but they still may try to get their dog back, if they succeed they may not be required to pay you back.

I'd check with your local laws & go from there.

pitc9
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
So far no one has contacted me about the little guy :( it's so sad to think that a little sweet heart like this guy is missing and no one cares enough to look for him. Chances are they are waiting for him to come back home on his own:( .
I plan on either having him neutered (if I could find the money) or adopt him out on a neuter contract.

lv4dogs
08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
So far no one has contacted me about the little guy :( it's so sad to think that a little sweet heart like this guy is missing and no one cares enough to look for him. Chances are they are waiting for him to come back home on his own:( .
I plan on either having him neutered (if I could find the money) or adopt him out on a neuter contract.

Can I ask what you have done to try to locate the owners? It may be possible they are from out of town and don't really know where to look or have limited communication means (phone, transportation) so it's best to advertise as much as possible & everywhere possible.
I hate to think but it could be that they don't care either.

cloverfdx
08-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Nope no such breed as a minaiture Aussie Cattle Dog ;). He is most likely a mix or the runt.

Good luck with him.

buttercup132
08-12-2005, 10:07 AM
do you have him staying at your house or is he still running loose
?

pitc9
08-12-2005, 01:16 PM
lv4dogs- I've let all the local shelters and the dog warden know that I found him and left my name and number. Both my county and the next county over (I live close to the county line) I've also posted flyers around my neighborhood.

Rhi- I want to post a picture of him soooo bad, I think I'm going to take one on my dig cam, then go to the drug store, print it out then scan it because I want you guys to see him... he is the cutest little thing!!! Looks JUST like a Heeler, but smaller!!! SO Cute!!!:D

buttercup-he is at my neighbors house. Safe & sound!!

buttercup132
08-12-2005, 08:17 PM
ok good lol and cant wait for pics im dying to see wat he looks like

cloverfdx
08-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Any news yet Angie? He sure does sound like a sweet little guy :).

BrittanyLexie
08-13-2005, 03:31 PM
i dunno.. i wouldnt want to give her back either..that sounds like a situation we were in last christmas.. is was freezing outside and on our way home we found a 7 week old baby cocker spaniel on the road.. well we took her home and she was INFESTED with fleas, and very skinny.. plus she was out in the cold.. so we got her fixed up.. killed all the fleas and got her shots.. but then we found a sign for her.. and had to give her back.. i didnt want to but my mom said thats what we would want if our dog got lost.. but then again we take care of our dog.. poor thing.. tell us how the poor baby does

bckrazy
08-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Wow, I didn't know that. Thank you for sharing!
I did know that a lot of them (and a lot of other breeds too) became bigger over the years, but thought that most of the reputable breeders have kept the standard sizes. Thats why when you go to a dog show, Aussie's, Rott's, Husky's just to name a few look a lot smaller than what you'd see in a neighbors yard.

hm... show Aussies (IMHO) are not always the best example of what a good working Aussie or the original Aussies should look like. For one, a show Aussies coat is drastically different from any working Aussie... its fluffed up, teased, and poofy (NOT practical for a dog working livestock in the Southwestern prairies/plains). Like Border Collies and GSDs and all of the other herding breeds, the vast majority of show Aussies have no or little working experience OR instinct. The original Aussies were much more compact than the AKC has made them.

I LOVEEE Miniature Australian Shepherds! You should research them a little more, they're really nice dogs with an awesome breed club and breeders behind them. I'm STOKED that they arent recognized with ACK, because they have ruined sooo many herding breeds already (especially Aussies and BC's)! Best of all, the North American Miniature Shepherd Club is super active in herding and herding instinct/skill is in the standard. At the place I take Gonzo for Agility, there are many more awesome Mini Aussies herding out there than there are Aussies, actually. Basically, they're a down-sized (instead of 65 lbs, 35 lbs) less watered down (as far as herding drive) version of Aussies, and they're definitely a breed all their own... I haven't found that they're AT ALL a 'trendy' version of Australian Shepherds. And, Mini Aussies are eligible to compete with the ASCA in all activites except for showing.

bleh... anyway, back to PICT's post! You know you're awesome for helping out that little guy!! OMG, he sounds so adorable. If I lived anywhere near Ohio, I would totally steal him from you! :) wow, I really do hope he finds a good home... and I hope his owners *dont* reply if they haven't taken good care of him. I've actually met a few ACD's that were working dogs and weighed around 25-30 lbs, but those were females. They were bred to be stout little dogs, though.. is it possible that he's part Corgi, or even Mini Aussie? Good luck with him!

lv4dogs
08-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by bckrazy
hm... show Aussies (IMHO) are not always the best example of what a good working Aussie or the original Aussies should look like. For one, a show Aussies coat is drastically different from any working Aussie... its fluffed up, teased, and poofy (NOT practical for a dog working livestock in the Southwestern prairies/plains). Like Border Collies and GSDs and all of the other herding breeds, the vast majority of show Aussies have no or little working experience OR instinct. The original Aussies were much more compact than the AKC has made them.

I LOVEEE Miniature Australian Shepherds! You should research them a little more, they're really nice dogs with an awesome breed club and breeders behind them. I'm STOKED that they arent recognized with ACK, because they have ruined sooo many herding breeds already (especially Aussies and BC's)! Best of all, the North American Miniature Shepherd Club is super active in herding and herding instinct/skill is in the standard. At the place I take Gonzo for Agility, there are many more awesome Mini Aussies herding out there than there are Aussies, actually. Basically, they're a down-sized (instead of 65 lbs, 35 lbs) less watered down (as far as herding drive) version of Aussies, and they're definitely a breed all their own... I haven't found that they're AT ALL a 'trendy' version of Australian Shepherds. And, Mini Aussies are eligible to compete with the ASCA in all activites except for showing.

bleh... anyway, back to PICT's post! You know you're awesome for helping out that little guy!! OMG, he sounds so adorable. If I lived anywhere near Ohio, I would totally steal him from you! :) wow, I really do hope he finds a good home... and I hope his owners *dont* reply if they haven't taken good care of him. I've actually met a few ACD's that were working dogs and weighed around 25-30 lbs, but those were females. They were bred to be stout little dogs, though.. is it possible that he's part Corgi, or even Mini Aussie? Good luck with him!

Thanks for the info, but I knew all of that already. lol.
I was just stating that I didn't know they made the mini aussies before the standard ones, and come to find out I was right anyways.
Heck, ANY working dog, they could care less what the "breed standard" is, as long as they are sound & can work good. And I couldn't agree more!

Karen
08-15-2005, 09:25 AM
There is a beauty in the neighborhood where I work who is half Aussie, half JRT.

She looks like a smooth-coated Aussie, shrunk! She's got those pretty blue eyes, a blue-ticked coat, and a JRT personality. She's no more than shin-high, but wants to take on GSDs, huge Labs, anyone bigger. And I haven't actually petted her - she's a nipper! And quick about it - fortunately, I'm faster, and explained to her owner, it's okay, I've been nipped by bigger!

pitc9
08-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Well... good and bad news....
The little guy is back with his owner (that is both good and bad news) I was not home when he came looking around looking for him :mad: so I couldn't ask him why he wasn't neutered, or wearing tags.... but at least he's back home and not running loose. My neighbor (who was keeping him at her house) told my hubby that he lives near by.

buttercup132
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM
thats good to hear you didnt get any pictures? i dont have my dog nutered...and hes a mutt but he always has tags on and dosent run away my dog is gay (seriously) so we dont need to get him fixed plus hes now like 10 so i dont wanna put him under stress

pitc9
08-15-2005, 01:32 PM
No... I never got any pictures of him.. but since he lives near by... I'm going to be keeping a VERY close eye on him!!
;)

buttercup132
08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
good lol