PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo

elizabethann
05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
I just received my Hartz free stuff kit. Fenway didn't like the biscuit and I'm not going to use the shampoo because of all the controversy about it. I'll just use the free case to put his stuff in it for when he goes over-night somewhere.

Anyhow, I was thinking "what do people use for shampoo on their dogs?" I went and bought DEODERIZING SHAMPOO BY CARDINAL the other day because Fenway smells like a rotting fish. But normally I use PRO PET (I think it's the gentle formula).

What does everybody else use?

I'm just curious. Nosey, I guess.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 01:06 PM
My aunt buys Timber this really expensive natural orange stuff. It's made with real oranges. It's $15 a bottle! :eek: I keep telling her that you can buy the exact same stuff at Liquidation World for $3 lol.

For the pup I'm getting next year, I have looked at different shampoos. I am thinking about either that dark colour shampoo (to enrich his colour) or this yummy apple stuff. I have to do a little bit more research on ingredients first though -- I want to make sure that I'll be getting something both safe and effective. :)

wolf_Q
05-31-2005, 01:08 PM
I work at a grooming salon so I can use the shampoo there to bath my dogs. I normally use Tomlyn milk shampoo on Nebo...makes him very soft and the smell is nice. I use whitening shampoo on the white parts of him too, and tearless shampoo (Tomlyn Pro35) on his face. He also gets a cream rinse/conditioner on him afterwards...bathing Nebo is a complicated task lol.

I usually just use the Pro35 on Reggie and Sydney. Oh, and I did get that free kit from Hartz and used the shampoo on Reggie and Sydney once too....worked fine for them. I've heard of problems with Hartz flea and tick products but hadn't heard any shampoo problems?

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I've heard of problems with Hartz flea and tick products but hadn't heard any shampoo problems?
Yeah, I haven't heard of any problems with their shampoo either. I've heard bad things about the flea shampoo, but regular shampoo might be fine?

cali
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
I use diluted dish soap lol no fancy shampoo here :p

elizabethann
05-31-2005, 01:15 PM
What kind of ingredients do you look for? What are bad ingredients? How do I know?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 01:21 PM
I found these sites..

Synthetic ingredients to avoid (http://www.damascusroad.ca/skin-coat-bathing.htm)
Ingredients to Avoid (http://www.barknbath.com/ingredients%20to%20avoid.htm)

elizabethann
05-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the sites. I printed them out. I'll check to see if any of those nasty ingredients are in the shampoo I bought.

bckrazy
05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
I also use Tomlyn Milk Bath :) its awesome! I use Soft n Clean cream rinse too, and it smells sooo good... I dont know if the shampoo is that bad, but I just prefer not to support Hartz.

LuckiLab03
05-31-2005, 02:41 PM
We used to bathe Riley with Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo when she was a puppy, but now we use Fresh 'n' Clean because it keeps her smelling nice for a few days.

beeniesmom
05-31-2005, 03:35 PM
What's wrong with Hartz shampoo? I've been using the green one (anti flea) on Beenie. She gets it once a month. I've never had any problems with it. It seems to work....
?

elizabethann
05-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Someone had a thread about the dangers of Hartz shampoo (I guess it was the flea/tick one?). If you go to the search module on this website and type in Hartz, you'll find it. There is also a website that talks about the Hartz controversy. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try to find it for you. I'm leaving for the day in about 15 minutes so if you can't find, I'll find it for you tomorrow.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by beeniesmom
What's wrong with Hartz shampoo? I've been using the green one (anti flea) on Beenie.
All of their parasite preventatives (shampoo, medication, etc) have alot of bad chemicals in them. There have been many deaths and illnesses due to Hartz. :(

Kfamr
05-31-2005, 03:51 PM
We have used Lambert Kay's Fresh 'n' Clean Shampoo and Conditioner for quite a while now. It smells GREAT and makes them soooooo soft. My mom and I have teased about using it on our hair, might as well.. it's sooo expensive!

beeniesmom
05-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Wow, I just read the threads about the dangers of some of the hartz products. I didn't know some of them were so dangerous. I did recieve that makeover kit several months ago and used almost all the products in it. :(
Beenie didn't seen to have any adverse reaction to anything... but to be on the safe side, I'll use the other shampoo I have that the vet gave me.... i don't remember the name of it though. It's very mild and has no odor. Thx for the info.

binka_nugget
05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
I use Mane n tail on myself and the dogs. It makes them feel really soft and it's convenient since I like using it on my hair too.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I use Mane n tail on myself and the dogs. It makes them feel really soft and it's convenient since I like using it on my hair too.
It that stuff expensive? I always see it and wonder about getting some.

Vette
05-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Where do you guys buy your shampoos? all we got here is
Walmart and a very crappy petstore to get pet suppiles from. :(

our Walmart only carries Hartz shampoos...
i had bought a new bottle of that blue stuff(whitening shappmoo) but am afraid to use it on my dog after hearing about the deadly flea shampoo.

i really do not want to buy ANYTHING out of a damn pet store.
is the regular HARTZ shampoo okay to use?

wolf_Q
05-31-2005, 09:49 PM
Vette, check out www.petedge.com great place to order shampoos and pet supplies if you don't want to get it from wal-mart or a pet store.

wolfsoul
05-31-2005, 09:51 PM
The shampoo I'm considering is sold at Petcetera, but I guess you don't have a Petcetera where you live. Personally I check out all of the discount stores before I buy anything. Liquidation World is a great place to look for pet stuff. :)

Kfamr
05-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Petedge.com is definetly a nice place to get anything. Our Shampoo & Conditioner is usually around $10 a bottle - Petedge has it for around $3!

sammy101
05-31-2005, 10:09 PM
We use 'Top Paw' shampoo.It's good stuff,for a decent price,my parents dont want to spend $10 on a bottle of shampoo that will last about 4-5 baths.:p
But right now i used the Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for fleas,works quite good:)

binka_nugget
06-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
It that stuff expensive? I always see it and wonder about getting some.

Nope, not too expensive considering it lasts me a really long time. For a big bottle, it's around 10 (I think.. I spend money like there's no tomorrow so I'm not too certain). :p

bckrazy
06-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
We have used Lambert Kay's Fresh 'n' Clean Shampoo and Conditioner for quite a while now. It smells GREAT and makes them soooooo soft. My mom and I have teased about using it on our hair, might as well.. it's sooo expensive!

LMAO. erm, thats what I meant. I called it Soft n Clean.. oh well :p

Is it that expensive?? My shampoo is really really expensive compared to that.... I use BedHead, and I buy ginormous bottles but it still costs a lot.

elizabethann
06-01-2005, 07:39 AM
It's great we're talking about shampoo because Fenway just rolled in a pile of animal guts so off to the kitchen sink we go.

He's so gross.

:D

Thanks for everybody's replies re: shampoo. There are so many out there and we all use different ones.

beeniesmom
06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
What about the Sargents Skip flea and Tick?
Is that dangerous too?

Kater
06-09-2005, 04:09 AM
Earthbath (http://www.earthbath.com) makes GREAT shampoo. I learned about this line of products because the sanctuary director (at the sanctuary where I interned) uses it on Kela, her rottie. She uses the puppy shampoo on Kela's very sensitive skin (she has rather severe allergies) and it smells DIVINE. The puppy shampoo's fragrance is not like cough drop cherry but truly smells like cherries because they use cherry ESSENCE. The other products have different fragrances and I personally loved the Mango Tango shampoo/conditioner that I unabashedly sniffed at the pet store last week. :o

Earthbath makes a very high quality and very natural product with a short ingredient list anyone can understand. I saw 16 fl. oz. bottles retailing for $9.99 at my local pet store. They also make shampoo bars if you prefer bar soap to liquid. Prices should be lower elsewhere since Hawaii tends to be relatively expensive.

TRY IT OUT! :D

Bigyummydog
06-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Suave Naturals~tropical coconut...Pressley and MAXIMUS use it. It's Pressley's job to give Maximus a shower. He uses tons of shampoo on him. And they both condition too. Suave is not at all expensive, so they use all they want. It's kinda funny, the way they are about the shower. Press chases him around for a while. Then they both dissapear into the bathroom(they lock the door too), and 45min., and lots of noise later. Out pop two clean boys.

cassieknipp1987
06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
We use Mane n Tail on ourselves and pets as well, sometimes I add a little people shampoo for a nice fresh smell, like V05 or something. Not sure about that, just like how it leaves a nice odor on my pup for awhile. As for mane n tail, walmart sells it in the pet section, it is not expensive, well, at least not what I would consider expensive. When I was a kid I remember the linen closet always had a bottle of it in there and one in the shower as my mom used that on us and herself. Well, just thought I would comment. LA
Cassie and Lilly

mruffruff
06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
I've been using the Sargent's Flea Shampoo for over 10 years without any problems. I use it because it's inexpensive, easy to find and smells good.

I do use a whitener on Scruffy sometimes.

Mary