PDA

View Full Version : Emaciated dog

jesse_3
05-26-2005, 11:25 PM
There is a emaciated dog that lives by me grandma and grandpa's who is just the sweetest thing! He is playful and so cute! I believe that he is a Husky-Lab mix. I've been trying to figure out a way to feed him and get him heavier again, Rachel (rizzy) and I have called the cops and they took him and his brother away, only to give one back:( When I get old enough, I will buy him and keep him. That will be a while though:( Any suggestions on what to do?

daisyshuman8
05-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi Jesse!

I encountered the same problem somewhat awhile back (read my story about Shelby that is somewhere in this rescue forum LOL). I knew where she lived but her "owner" really didnt care if she came and went. If she was at home, that was fine, but if she was out roaming the streets that was fine also--he didn't care (he's a loser anyways..different story lol). He lived on the street behind me and his yard backed against my backyard, so I knew who Shelby was and what she looked like. She got loose NUMEROUS times,whether it was on my street, in the yard next to her owner, heck I even saw her goign through garbage at a Mc Donald's a few blocks away.

I assumed she was hungry, after I saw her always out, so here's what I did. I put some dog food on a plate as well as some water and placed it in the yard behind me, the place where Shelby often hung around at. I saw her eat it so that was reassuring to know she was being fed at least by me. If I saw her on my street, I put some dog food/water out on my driveway and let her eat it. She was very shy/skittish so I had a hard time getting her to come to me. I just put the food on a plate and let her come to it.

I eventually bought a cheap feeder at Wal-Mart so I started to feed her out of that.

That's what I did--do you have a dog as a pet where you can use some of its food for this dog? I have a beagle who is jealous when she sees Shelby and didn't like it when I shared her food but she'll have to live LOL. You can place the food on a plate and maybe find an old bowl or bucket for water and place it at a location where you see the dog the most. Or you can ask your parents, grandparents,etc to take you to a discount store near your town (Wal-Mart,Target, a grocery, a dollar store) and get a cheap bag of dog food and a cheap feeder/bowl and use that for the dog. We were lucky enough to let the owner give Shelby up and give her to a loving home. I wish I could help you out more, but that's what I did when I saw a dog roam around.

Hope that helps!!

melrose95
05-30-2005, 11:44 AM
M

jesse_3
05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Thank you very much daisyshuman8 (sorry, I don't know your name!) That does help, luckily he's not shy, if you say hey you!-he'll run right to you! Yes I do have a dog, Jesse, but, I don't think my parents would appreciate it if they found out I am trying to feed this dog! Soon I will be able to drive, but, until then, I can only give him love and attention! I have to come up with a name for him, but, I can't think of any! He is A really light colored off-white with ears down. His face looks like a lab but the rest of him looks like a husky. Any suggestions? I've thought of Kasio, Tucker, Charlie..