PDA

View Full Version : back to the Iditarod

NaokoAri
01-30-2002, 09:49 PM
sorry for my disruptive introduction to this board but it's kinda hard to keep your cool when people are talking falsely about an event you wish to participate in when you're older. i've been discussing the Iditarod with some friends on another board. i posted the whole Iditarod discussion that's from here onto their board. they don't quite agree with some of you on this. before i add some of the posts from their board, i have to add something about the dogs on the chains from the picture. in some parts where snow gets deep, they have to have their dogs on chains. if they were to be in a kennel, they would (1) either jump over the kennel because the snow was so deep or (2) have the kennel cave in and crush the dog.
anyways, here's what my friends said:

*the people who posted will remain anonymous*

1) Oh dear, the postings on the Iditarod were very painful to read. I feel very mixed up. I can understand the passion behind the desire to eliminate animal cruelty and abuse, and I can also understand the passion behind the running of the Iditarod race. There are many endurance races that we as humans participate in with the cooperation of animals. I know that there a several varieties of endurance races with horses, camels, and dogs. The Iditarod is not unique. Neither do I think that the exploitation of the animals to achieve a race's goal is unique. Throughout man's association with animals, he has exploited the skills and abilities of his companion animals in competitions and displays. When abuse occurs it should be noted and stopped. Reporting such abuse is informative, but the other side of the coin should also be represented and I find that the media often does not report the 'good' side of a contentious situation because it doesn't provide 'news interest'. The photo showing the 'musher' being pulled 'comfortably seated in his sled' while a dog is down is, in my opionion, misleading. It doesn't show how the dog fell, whether the sled was stopped, or whether the dog managed to regain his feet. It only shows a very small moment in time. I have read about dogs being hurt in the Iditarod, I have read about horses being injured in Pony Express relays, I have seen horses and riders being thrown in hox hunts and steeplechases. All of which I deplore and agonize over, but to single out one particular event because of 'reported abuse and cruelty', and to become so incensed that no rational discussion can be held is also deplorable. There are horrendous wrongs existing in this world and one's ability to address those wrongs are often times so limited that I personally feel one ought to confine one's passions to those things one CAN do something about. In other words, it's one thing to spout off about dogs being killed in the Iditarod and ban the race etc., but unless you put your money where your mouth is, keep those inflammable opinions on simmer. This way we can learn from each other and perhaps develop insights we never knew we would entertain. Anyway, this is my thoughts on this very troubling dialogue, and I hope that everyone takes it in the way it was meant----thought provoking, enlightening, but not accusatory.

2) i apologize for how mad and disruptive i was but like Spencer said "how would you feel if you had just read six long posts virtually saying you were a dog killer?" i still stand where i've been - the Iditarod is not cruel. there are bad mushers out there, but does that mean the majority of us are bad?

3) Acutally, I do understand why you would feel mad. And, I feel your anger is justified. But I don't think accusations were made directly at you even though you feel that they were. Personally, I don't think you would be a participant on a 'Pets and Animal' chat board if even 1 iota of those accusations were true of you.

4) http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:8-ep5gSe4-cC:sunhusky.com/Facts/+iditarod&hl=en
This link is to a seemingly well researched article on the Iditarod. It is a pro article and lists almost all negative stances on the subject and addresses them. Whether your feelings are pro or con, it seemed a good place to start your research and learn. I hope the link gets you there, if not, try www.sunhusky.com

5) Naoko Ari, I can understand your frustration over people believing the worst of sledding because of some "news" stories. One poster said "these are real news paper articles, real research" as if that makes it all true. Pfui! News papers and TV news shows are in competition for readers/viewers and frequently slant their articles and add out-of-context details to get people emotional about it so they'll come back for more. No, it isn't just the tabloids that create lurid out of ordinary. Sad but true that people fall for it.

6) The thing that puts a burr in my saddle is the idea that since there are some bad mushers, let's ditch the sport. I know nothing of sled dog racing and have never really given it much thought. However, I can't stand by that logic re some bad mushers. I mean, there are some people who choose to drive drunk, or recklessly. Should we outlaw cars? There are some bad doctors... let's just ban medical practice altogether and let nature weed us out naturally. There are some bad apples in any sport, or job, or just about anywhere. Am I the only person who gets alarmed when people want to legislate everything to death? This whole mindset of, "I don't like it, therefore, it should be illegal" really bothers me. I don't know enough about sled dog racing to form an opinion either way, but I sure as hell don't think the fate of anything should rest in the hands of one particular group of folks who seem narrow minded and not willing to look a little further. When people make up their minds that they believe something, it's often impossible for them to open up to something that might just conflict with what they believe. I can live with that. I just can't live with these same folks thinking that the rest of us should abide by the same beliefs that they have. I, personally, detest celery and could probably find a way to make a lot of people think it's baaaad news in an effort to get rid of it... all it takes is the power of suggestion... "Did you hear... some reporters [now it sounds official] did some research and found out that celery has been proven to cause cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, poor credit ratings, erectile dysfuntion and miscarriages..." BAM! There are those that would be willing to just believe it because it sounds official, regardless of how ludicrous it really is. My God, I've gone off on a rant. The long and short of it is, it bothers me to see people who want everything legislated to death. Too many people up in other peoples' bid'ness. Also, too many people willing to take anything the media throws at them as gospel. Another whole issue entirely, I'm sure, but this topic just kind of made me think of it.

Go get 'em, Naoko.

Carry on...

there it is. have fun!

zippy-kat
01-30-2002, 10:10 PM
I'm not saying I'm for but I'm not saying I'm against...I would like more facts before I decide.

One question: Is this temporary or 'permanent' housing?
http://www.helpsleddogs.org/Images/image3.jpg

Also, what is the coffee can used for? (the thing that's tacked to the front of the house) a food dish? water? a 'storage compartment'? I noticed not all the houses have them...

Though, I'm still refusing to take sides just yet, I will agree that---in just about everything---there are rotten eggs who give the rest of the group a bad name.

NaokoAri
01-30-2002, 10:16 PM
i don't know what other people do in their kennel. who knows. this could've been another bad musher. i doubt that those dogs stay in the same spot. i bet this owner rotates his dogs so they can use the dog-run in the back.

zippy-kat
01-30-2002, 10:51 PM
As you stated earlier, there is not any (visible) poop in the photo. Also, there aren't any holes--so either the dogs aren't 'diggers' or they haven't been there long. With the possible exception of the fenced in area, it looks as though every dog has his/her own house. The houses don't seem to be in too bad of condition (ie no (visible) holes, no broken boards, etc) Can't tell if the water dishes are filled, though.

It would be interesting to see the musher's lodging at this particular site.

ramanth
01-31-2002, 12:44 PM
I just wanted to make a couple points....

First off this link was shared in the last post and again in Naoko's new post..

Sun Husky (http://www.geocities.com/sunhusky/)

This is lengthy BUT A VERY GOOD READ!!

I suggest everyone read it to get both sides of the issue before responding.

My second point is a comment made by someone on the other board..

Naoko Ari, I can understand your frustration over people believing the worst of sledding because of some "news" stories. One poster said "these are real news paper articles, real research" as if that makes it all true. Pfui! News papers and TV news shows are in competition for readers/viewers and frequently slant their articles and add out-of-context details to get people emotional about it so they'll come back for more. No, it isn't just the tabloids that create lurid out of ordinary. Sad but true that people fall for it.

I feel the same way. And I don't think I could word it better.

The last point I'll make is on the picture where the dog has fallen.
Pictures can be SOO misleading. If you really look at those other dogs. They are not running. In fact some are just standing there. Let's say for the sake of argument, the dog did trip. And SNAP.. it's caught on camera. Who is to say the musher didn't get out of his sled and help his dog up if it was having trouble? We weren't there. Or the dog got up on it's own and they began trotting on their merry way. But I can say for certain that dog is not being dragged. Those dogs are barely moving.

We have to look at all the facts.

Yes, it has been admitted there are bad mushers. But we should single them out.

mkgwolf
01-31-2002, 07:28 PM
Alot of mushers have summer and winter kennels. Some of the Iditarod mushers go more south for the summer and open up thier kennels for tours and cart rides. Mushing isnt just a winter sport they train the dogs all year so they dont get lazy. In that one picture theres a thing that looks like a merry-go-round that is like a treadmill for dogs they can run around and pull it and when anyone get gets tired they can jump up into their doghouse and enjoy the ride. The bowls on the side of the houses are probably for water so it stays clean.
http://www.helpsleddogs.org/Images/image3.jpg
My aunt went to Jeff King's kennel and she really likes animals and she had only positive things to say. She was suprized because she was also expecting it to be a little harsh. One of the major critics of the Iditarod lives in Miami and bases all her facts on a 90 minute tour thorugh Jeff King's Kennel, which is one of the really nice ones with heated dog barns...., theres a section on that at Sunhusky.com too. I got the chance to go to a musher's summer kennel in Alaska last year. there was maybe 35 dogs including the litter of puppies. It was cleaner and smelled better than many peoples backyards. Remember these dogs get the best food and medical care because the dogs ARE the most important part of mushing.

That www.sunhusky.com site is good, it explains all the critics claims. Go there you'll learn alot.

What most people dont know is that "culling" doesnt mean to kill unwanted dogs it means they dont breed them beacause of a unwanted trait like low endurance or thin coat. These dogs are kept as pets around the kennel or given to other people who just do mushing as a weekend hobby.

What i'm trying to say is you shouldnt make up your mind and sterotype something you have never tried or know little about.

yorkster
01-31-2002, 07:32 PM
Thanks Ramanth, you just made the exact points I was thinking of!

It is not just the tabloids that sensationalize things.
:mad:

I also noticed in that picture that the dogs were walking......not running at the time.

One of the things I hate the most is cruelty to animals of ANY kind. Therefore, if there any truth to any of this, it needs to be dealt with, but with the individual mushers thenselves.

zippy-kat
01-31-2002, 09:02 PM
I noticed the dog 'treadmill'---thought it comparable to a 'hot walker' for horses (think that's what it's called)

I have no doubt that the dogs must be in tip-top shape to run....

I think that the word 'cull' has bad connotations--most people instantly think kill (myself included, even though I know there are other ways to cull) Maybe a 'career change' is a better term :D

purrfectpaws
01-31-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi NaokoAri,
I know this is off the path of your post but I don't think that I know you and I was just wondering about your name and what it means and how you came of it?/
Thanks a bunch,
CArla
purrfectpaws

aly
02-03-2002, 11:06 PM
I won't state my opinion on the matter, but I will say that picture of the dogs' "kennel" situation made my stomach drop and brought tears to my eyes. That is a bad, bad picture.

I would also like to say that Angie was just trying to inform us of something a lot of us weren't aware of. I'm sure she had no intentions of starting a war with anyone or pointing fingers at anyone.

I also see NaokoAri's point of view. But no one is accusing you of any of that. We all share one thing in common here, and that is to promote the love and care of animals and prevent the cruelty to animals. There are good mushers, there are bad mushers, there are good pet owners, there are bad pet owners. Some people keep their dogs chained in yards, not even able to reach food, water or shelter. This doesn't make all pet owners bad though.

I agree we all need to educate ourselves and be aware of both the good and the bad. Hopefully someday the bad will stop.

Thank you for briniging this subject up Angie.

zippy-kat
02-04-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by aly
I won't state my opinion on the matter, but I will say that picture of the dogs' "kennel" situation made my stomach drop and brought tears to my eyes. That is a bad, bad picture.

Aly that was my first reaction too! But as I thought more about it, (in my humble opinion) those dogs do not look neglected. I've seen pooches look far worse by 'owners' who have them chained to a fence or tree...abandoned in the backyard...fur constantly in mats..flees, ticks, you-name-it, crawling over them... GRRR

While I don't know much about the husky breed, I do know that not all dogs are comfortable inside. (My grandmother's border collie for instance. Chester would rather sleep on the porch--even in snow and below freezing temps--than inside by the heat.) Yes, I would LOVE to see a picture of these pups all curled up by the fire. But, these dogs were originally bred to withstand cold temperatures...I wonder how happy they would be inside?

I would not keep my pups housed in that manner but this is FAR FROM the worst case of 'backyard abuse' I've seen/heard of/etc.

Corinna
05-14-2002, 10:11 AM
I have to weigh in on this topic , I mean to hurt no ones feelings . Now with that out of the way , I haven't seen the earler posts. I have several friends whom have businesses and race sleds. On has over 70 dogs in the winter and cuts it to 70 in the summer. He rescues dogs from people and the pound trains then (obed.and pulling) them after the summer he places the "culls" from his crew, with appoved homes. I living in town would not be allowed one even though he knows me and my abilites. This picture is not the best showing of the kennels,but the dogs are not usually on the tie outs except at night cuz they are training or in my freinds case pulling sleds all year long . Jeff my freind (not Jeff King) has 2.5 hour rides and all the dogs go out at least once a day.
I have spent time at his place at least once a month for 3 years and I have NEVER seen any poop or abuse, in fact I saw my freind fire a guy who took a swing at one of the dogs. He had only been there training as a musher for a week . Jeff had him off the property in 2 hours. I have no idea where the photo came from but it is not totally accrate.
I too would love to run dogs some day, but I don't have the time to devote to it. So i enjoy it by watching and taking rides. It is a totally awesome experance for those who have never tried it you should so you understand the whole sport and industry.
Hope I didnt upset any one too bad. But I agree find out more before you form an opinion.

Corinna
05-15-2002, 05:24 PM
I forgot to include a web site for tons of info for all www.iditarod.com

lizbud
05-15-2002, 07:14 PM
"I found an anti-Iditarod link: http://www.helpsleddogs.org/

The official Iditarod site is : http://www.iditarod.com/

This was a heated topic when it was started. I just hit a site and decided to drop a pro and a con site."

I have a question: Spence, Why did you revive a months old
topic ; a HEATED one at that ?

Are there any new Pro & Cons that have not already been
read & discussed? Don't think you will ever get people to
agree on THIS subject. Did someone else ask for it to be
brought up again? Thanks, Liz.

lizbud
05-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Thanks Chuck,

I thought this topic had "already been chewed", but if
you think there's value in going over everyone's views
again. Go for it. Liz.