PDA

View Full Version : The Iditarod

Shantidog
03-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Hello everyone....I know that the Iditarod race has begun in Alaska....and my heart goes out to these poor dogs who must run their hearts out because of their owners greed. I have been to a couple and watching those dogs come in over the finish line is not a pretty sight...some of them just literally drag themselves over! Please click on this link to get more information about this infamous race.www.helpsleddogs.org

rebeccarichardson
03-19-2005, 10:00 AM
As a lifelong animal lover with one rescue dog [Aussie Cattle Dog] and three cats, I just don't understand how people can think the Iditarod is a humane sport..........
I agree that it is tortuous for dogs and driven by greed and ego by uncaring humans.

Hooray for you for speaking out about this--I couldn't agree more.

Jasmine's mom

Corinna
03-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Didn't we go though this on my thread you and your bogus info on your page . Having nnever gone at the inviatation of many mushers. How can you make thes claims on your site. Stop being an inposter admit just who you are Shanti dog!!!!

sammy101
03-19-2005, 11:00 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73178

agree'd with you Corinna!

Corinna
03-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks Sammy your faster at finding it than I was.

rebeccarichardson
03-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Someone inform me of what's going on here, please?
I genuinely think the iditorad can push dogs beyond their limit in the mushers quest to win?
Is this incorrect?

I'd like to know if i'm misinformed or naive?

Rebecca

Corinna
03-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Read the thread in sammy1's post pay close attention to Glaciers post. she has over 20 sled dogs.

Shantidog
03-19-2005, 03:29 PM
No Rebecca...you are not misinformed...the Iditarod or more commonly known as "I killed a dog" where mushers who are out for the money alone...will push their dogs until death. They can always go out and buy another dog team can't they. I have been there at the finish line. I lived in the Yukon for many years, and have seen a lot of dog abuse at the hand of mushers.. Anyone who says it is normal ofr a dog to run that far, and at that speed for that long...should be made to run at the end of a whip like these dogs do. The picture of the sled dog who lies dead. and which has been dragged along for many miles. is a real picture. This is my own personal opinion, and based on what I have heard first hand. My brother-in-law was in the 1992 race, and he saw things in that race that were not right. There are two sides to every story, and unless you get your facts straight everyone...do not say that this is a fun thing for the dogs to do!! How ridiculous!!

rebeccarichardson
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm a newcomer to this forum, and I may not know what I'm talking about because I don't have sled dogs, live in Alaska or other places where sledding is possible, nor have I ever attended the Iditarod.........but it seems to me that just coming from a point of view of human's track record when it comes to using animals to do things that they wouldn't do naturally like rodeos, circuses, dog racing in a track, and maybe even the Iditarod, isn't it possible that they CAN be abused in the name of $$$$ and entertainment???

Isn't the check points for the dogs in the Iditarod race usually so quick that health problems could be missed?

When the mushers aren't racing their dogs [or training] aren't the dogs chained to their dog houses and ignored??

I'm not trying to sound like an idiot here. "Tell me there are NO dog abuses in the Iditarod and you won't here another peep from me. All I care about is the welfare and treatment of ALL animals--whether it's a house dog like mine or a dog who is strapped to a harness and raced.

Cincy'sMom
03-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I am very uneduated about the Iditarod, dog racing, etc., but I have a few thoughts...

First, I'm sure there are some dogs that are mistreated. It is true if the dogs are pets, show dogs, or athletes. I don't think in any situation, anyone can say, that every dog owner is the perfect dog owner, and treats their dogs perfectly....but I hope, and want to believe it is the exception, not the rule.

I also don't believe that mushers tie their dogs up and ignore them if they aren't racing. Do a seach for Glacier's posts, and check out her sled dogs. See if they aren't some of the happiest, well cared for dogs around....laying on the couch, enjoying arun, whatever...they ALWAYS seem to be enjoying life.

All of us here care about the welfare of animals, or we wouldn't be here....I just think it is better not to make genrealiations, positive or negative. There will always be exceptions.

Glacier
03-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by rebeccarichardson
I'm a newcomer to this forum, and I may not know what I'm talking about because I don't have sled dogs, live in Alaska or other places where sledding is possible, nor have I ever attended the Iditarod.........but it seems to me that just coming from a point of view of human's track record when it comes to using animals to do things that they wouldn't do naturally like rodeos, circuses, dog racing in a track, and maybe even the Iditarod, isn't it possible that they CAN be abused in the name of $$$$ and entertainment???

Isn't the check points for the dogs in the Iditarod race usually so quick that health problems could be missed?

When the mushers aren't racing their dogs [or training] aren't the dogs chained to their dog houses and ignored??

I'm not trying to sound like an idiot here. "Tell me there are NO dog abuses in the Iditarod and you won't here another peep from me. All I care about is the welfare and treatment of ALL animals--whether it's a house dog like mine or a dog who is strapped to a harness and raced.

I'll try to answer some of your questions. I do live in the Far North--not Alaska, but I could drive to Alaska in under 2 hours! I do keep a dog sled team and I have plans to race someday (not long distance, but shorter, close to home races)

It is absolutely possible that some sled dogs are abused. I'll guarentee it. Several of my sled dogs orginally lived in bad situations. I know far more good, kind, mushers than I do bad, abusive ones. Look close enough at any sport--horse racing, equistrian events, flyball, agility, whatever, and you'll find abusive owners who have no right to own goldfish! Same thing with dog sledding. But like any sport that involves animals, I believe that's the exception to the rule.

However, there is no way to force a dog to run and pull. If a dog doesn't want to run, it simply won't! There have been days when my dogs have been tired or bored or just in a bad mood and we have spent hours sitting on the side of a trail, waiting until they felt like running again. A scared dog won't work for the person it's afraid of.

Check points in the Iditarod can be very quick, but at every stop, every time each dog is inspected by a vet. A musher can not leave the check point until the vet says it's ok. Any musher who disobeys a vet's order is immediately disqualified. Any dog showing signs of distress must be dropped. Unfortunately, dogs are dang good at hiding illness and pain so sometimes things might be missed. Yes, dogs die in the Iditarod. In this year's race three dogs died, all of natural causes, not through any abuse by their musher. 80 teams started the race with 16 dogs per team. That's over 1200 dogs. Put 1200 pet dogs together for ten days, I'll guarentee you at least three of them will die for one reason or another.

Yes, most sled dogs are kept on chains, but no they are not ignored when they aren't racing. They get regular time loose. Most mushers have a play yard or an exercise pen where the dogs go just to goof off every day. To do any kind of racing, but especially the big ones, takes hours of training, dog care, ect EVERY DAY ALL YEAR. Most sled dogs see far more of their owner than lots of pet dogs do. It's much easier to throw a single pet dog into the back yard and ignore it for ten years. If you want a dog team to take 1000 miles in ten days, you better have an amazing bond with those dogs.

Additionally, there is no money in dog sled racing! Even for the guy who won the I-rod this year, he didn't make much. The prize is a substantial sum, but consider what it costs him to keep a dog team for a year. Most big racing mushers have 50 dogs or more in their kennel. I don't know any musher who doesn't feed a top end kibble and supplements with meat. I have 21 dogs in my kennel and my food bill is thousands of dollars a year. Then add in vet bills :eek: , harnesses, equipement repairs ( a basic sled new is worth 1200$), travel, dog truck, houses, bowls, ect, ect. In the end, Robert Sorlie (this year's winner) probably made next to nothing! Most mushers have day jobs to keep their teams. I know I have to work full time to pay their bills!

Sled dogs are trained their whole lives to run. There are thousands of years of breeding behind that urge to pull. To ask an untrained dog to race would be creul. To ask a sled dog not to pull, would be equally creul! This is what they were born to do, what they love and what they do best.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/dogs%2005/lets_go.jpg
This is my team getting ready to take a customer out for a tour. Do they look unhappy to you?

For more information, please check out
www.sunhusky.com/facts
I hope that was helpful.

rebeccarichardson
03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks "Glacier" that was very insightful. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the life of a dog sledding. It sounds like you are very compassionate and caring towards your dogs.

I guess I have a clearer picture. But as far as S.Husky's[is that the breed?] being "born to run"........ one must still be careful...
My dog is an Australian Cattle Dog who is hard wired to herd and chase balls and frisbee's. She loves the frisbee so much she'd retrieve it to the point of exhausion or worse if she had her way.......does that mean I should allow her to get to that point just because she loves it so....?
In fact, last year she tore a cruiate ligament from landing on her knee after a vigorous session of frisbee. I have felt devastated over this....
Frisbee and ball chasing is now a thing of the past for her........dogs do NOT know their limits...that's OUR job....and somehow I think that may get missed in the heat of a race such as the Iditarod?

Three dogs losing their life during/because of a race is three too many in my book. How about the other ones that were injured and "near death" because they were pushed too hard. ?

I know I'm sounding ignorant and judgemental. I don't mean to be. I'm just a dog lover like you.

Glacier
03-19-2005, 08:12 PM

I guess I have a clearer picture. But as far as S.Husky's[is that the breed?] being "born to run"........ one must still be careful...
.dogs do NOT know their limits...that's OUR job....and somehow I think that may get missed in the heat of a race such as the Iditarod?

Three dogs losing their life during/because of a race is three too many in my book. How about the other ones that were injured and "near death" because they were pushed too hard. ?

I know I'm sounding ignorant and judgemental. I don't mean to be. I'm just a dog lover like you.

It's absolutely our job! Huskies would run til they dropped if they were allowed to. The musher has to recognize when their dogs need a break or a ride. Dogs can and do ride in the sled bag if they need a rest. The vets are there to try and ensure that if the musher misses it, the dog is still helped. I don't think many mushers miss things due to the heat of competition, but I expect some miss things due to their own exhaustion. The race is demanding on it's human competitors too and there are no doctors along the trail!

Three dogs is too many, but there is also no guarentee that those dog wouldn't have died if they were left behind in their dog yard. One died of a previously undiagnosed birth defect, one died of cardiac myeopathy--the same thing that happens to extremely fit humans sometimes. You've heard of runners suffering fatal heart attacks? It happens to sled dogs too. I haven't heard what happened to the last one, but I know that her musher had already dropped her as he said she seemed "off". She was under vet care when she died.

There's no way to tell when a dog's time is up. Last winter I lost a dog who was a mere four years old and up until the day he died, I thought he was perfectly healthy. Literally, he went from healthy to dead in under four hours due to a massive stroke. Just like us, there's no way to know!

NO dogs died in the last two years of the Yukon Quest--I'm a Yukon resident so I'm a bigger fan of the Quest!

Mushing is a way of life for me. It's what I do, it's what my dogs do, it's a large part of how I define myself. I moved here in large part so I could do this. There's alot of bad press out there about mushing. It's easier and gets way better ratings to show the crappy, sensational side of things. The musher who is toiling trying to make end meet and take care of their dogs, well, that's not a news story.

I don't think you sound judgemental. Sounds like you have a fairly open mind about the whole thing. Not everyone is going to agree with any kind of sport that involves animals. or humans for that matter! I'd prefer my husband didnt' play hockey cuz he gets hurt all the time!

Oh, and very few sled dogs are actually Siberian Huskies anymore. Most are crosses mixed with tons of other breeds. The only purebred team in the I-rod this year was my friend, Karen Ramstead. She scratched as her dogs were not handling the warm temperatures very well. This is her website:
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/musher/
She rocks and is everything a really great musher should be!

rebeccarichardson
03-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the websites Glacier. I'm glad we could have this exchange without becoming overly defensive or on the attack.

This forum is a great place to learn from others even if we don't always see eye to eye.

I will try to keep up with what's going on w/the Iditorad and other "sports" that involve dogs to make sure that they are being treated humanely and will speak out if I should learn differently.

This is my last comment[s] on this subject.

Jasmine's "Mom".

Shantidog
03-20-2005, 05:09 AM
There whould be no ifs....ands or buts........we should not be supporting the exceptions....if you support any sport where a dog or animal is hurt maimend or killed...YOU.....YOU are suppporting animal abuse...I am sorry but there are no exceptions, they are either abused or they are not....and these animals are abused. I wish you people would stop comparing the Iditarod to one little group of pets that are not abused.....please take them out of this we are not talking about them....we are talking about the Iditarod,,,and anyone who watches, supports, and cheers on the mushers in this cruel race...are supporting dog abuse!!!!!
WE NEED TO STOP THESE GENRES THAT SUPPORT ANIMAL ABUSE....AND THESE ARE THE IDITAROD, PIT BULL FIGHTING, BULL FIGHTS GREYHOUND RACING ELEPHANTS IN THE CIRCUS, DANCING BEARS. sO PLEASE PEOPLE GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE, AND LOOK AT THE REAL PICTURE, READ THE STORIES, LOOK AT THE PICTURES, AND PULL YOU HEADS OUT OF THE SAND.....DO YOUR HOMEWORK THEN COME BACK, AND TELL US THAT THERE IS NO ABUSE IN THE IDITAROD....AND STOP BRINGING YOUR LITTLE LAP HUSKYS INTO THE PICTURE THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!!!!!

Shantidog
03-20-2005, 05:19 AM
I HAVE LIVED IN MANY DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, INCLUDING MEXICO, SOUTH AMERICA, AND AFRICA, AND I HAVE SEEN MANY HORRENDOUS FORMS OF ANIMAL ABUSE. I AM SOOOOO TIRED OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN OUTSIDE THEIR BACKYARD, AND WALKING AROUND WITH BLINDERS ON, ACTING AS THEY ARE THEY ONLY ONES WHO COULD HAVE A CORRECT OPINION. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BLOOD SPILLED, AND STOP SUPPORTING ANIMAL ABUSE...I AM SURE THAT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE YOUR DOGS RUNNING IN THE IDITAROD......GET OFF YOUR SELF RIGHTIOUS FANNIES AND LOOK AT IT FROM THE DOG'S POINT OF VIEW

rebeccarichardson
03-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Amen !!!!!!!

Jodie9
03-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Shantidog
I HAVE LIVED IN MANY DIFFERENT COUNTRIES, INCLUDING MEXICO, SOUTH AMERICA, AND AFRICA, AND I HAVE SEEN MANY HORRENDOUS FORMS OF ANIMAL ABUSE. I AM SOOOOO TIRED OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN BEEN OUTSIDE THEIR BACKYARD, AND WALKING AROUND WITH BLINDERS ON, ACTING AS THEY ARE THEY ONLY ONES WHO COULD HAVE A CORRECT OPINION. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BLOOD SPILLED, AND STOP SUPPORTING ANIMAL ABUSE...I AM SURE THAT YOU WOULD NOT HAVE YOUR DOGS RUNNING IN THE IDITAROD......GET OFF YOUR SELF RIGHTIOUS FANNIES AND LOOK AT IT FROM THE DOG'S POINT OF VIEW

Okay, well I highly doubt there is mushing going on in those countries. Have you EVER watched a race, or even seen a sled dog? Obviously not. I am certainly not supporting animal abuse, however, I am telling you that there are only rare cases in whihc sled dogs are actually abused. They love doing what they do. Its their life! I wouldnt have my Collie running in the Iditarod. Why? Because unlike sled dogs she is not bred to race. However, I certainly use her for herding sheep ect. Is this abusing her?

Shantidog
03-21-2005, 12:57 AM
If you have been reading my posts....you will note that I lived in the Yukon before coming to Austrlia. I have been to two Iditarods...my brother in Law reaced in ther 1992 Iditarod.., i have been at the finish line of the iditarod. My partner and i raised huskies, . Please do not say I have never been around a sled dog or a sled dog race. We are talking about the dogs in the Iditarod...not whether you would put your collie in a sled dog race...If people do not wish to read these posts...please click at the top of the page. All we are trying to do here is educate people about the abuse in the Idiarod!! nothing more nothine less.

Jodie9
03-21-2005, 07:57 AM
If you have been reading my posts....you will note that I lived in the Yukon before coming to Austrlia. I have been to two Iditarods...my brother in Law reaced in ther 1992 Iditarod.., i have been at the finish line of the iditarod. My partner and i raised huskies, . Please do not say I have never been around a sled dog or a sled dog race. We are talking about the dogs in the Iditarod...not whether you would put your collie in a sled dog race...If people do not wish to read these posts...please click at the top of the page. All we are trying to do here is educate people about the abuse in the Idiarod!! nothing more nothine less.

If YOU were reading YOUR previous posts you said " Would you put your dog in race" so I answered that and told you why..

You are educating people with the wrong facts.

Sorry I didnt read all of your previous posts. I find them to be very repitive.

Denyce
03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
I not only find them to be repetitive but offensive and annoying. I do not appreciate being screamed at on the internet nor called names. Shantidog you are coming across as a screaming out of control activist which does NOT do your cause one bit of good. I just picture you at your computer with your face all red and sweating. Calm yourself down and speak rationally and with facts. Real facts spoken coherently not accusations thrown about willy nilly. I understand your passion however, attacking people the way you are doesn't gain many supporters.

I had posted on this topic before and don't intend on wasting my time doing so again. I read the webpage on the Iditerod every day. I was both enlightened and enthralled. I was saddened at the deaths of the three dogs but was comforted by the fact that the deaths were not caused by the race but by other reasons. From what I could see online most of the mushers seemed to truly care for their dogs. I know I am not there in person and I know that in some of the animal industries I have worked in I have seen animal abuse. However, what I read about this year I think there are far greater abuses going on in other areas than what I "saw" in this years Iditerod.

I have bigger "fish to fry now" so to speak

Denyce

bckrazy
03-25-2005, 02:08 AM

My dog is an Australian Cattle Dog who is hard wired to herd and chase balls and frisbee's. She loves the frisbee so much she'd retrieve it to the point of exhausion or worse if she had her way.......does that mean I should allow her to get to that point just because she loves it so....?
In fact, last year she tore a cruiate ligament from landing on her knee after a vigorous session of frisbee. I have felt devastated over this....
Frisbee and ball chasing is now a thing of the past for her........dogs do NOT know their limits...that's OUR job....and somehow I think that may get missed in the heat of a race such as the Iditarod?

First off, I don't think you are much of a fair, educated judge of all this, being that you don't know what a Siberian Husky is (:p ). Glacier rescued all of her dogs, they are dogs that live to run and most would probably be very unhappy if they were forced to live without it (just like most herding-bred Australian Cattle Dogs/Border Collies/etc are very unhappy without work)! There are crappy people everywhere, in every dog sport, from dog shows to sledding dogs to herding dogs. I have been to a dog show when, because the handlers wanted a win, they had their Boxer out in 90-100 degree heat all day and the dog died of heatstroke right in the middle of the show.

Next, I think it's very very sad that you would deprive your dog of Frisbee and Ball play because of a previous injury. Yes, it is your responsbility to monitor your dog during play and make sure she doesn't hurt herself. Just like you should prevent her from over-heating by offering her water, you should prevent her from being injured by taking precautions. I've taken a lot of professional disc dog classes, which teach you NOT to overthrow, encouraging the dog not to jump vertically and therefore run a much lower risk of injuring themselves, and to give your dog plenty of breaks in between. You should try to only send your dog out for far, low throws - which provides the most exercise and the least trauma to ligaments, joints, hips, etc. I have never heard of a dog being injured from ball playing.... unless they'd try to catch the ball in mid-air? My dog gets (at lEAST) 1 hour-long Frisbee and ball sessions every day, he has great hips, knees and hasn't torn or traumatized anything in the 3 years he has been doing this.

bckrazy
03-25-2005, 02:25 AM
There whould be no ifs....ands or buts........we should not be supporting the exceptions....if you support any sport where a dog or animal is hurt maimend or killed...YOU.....YOU are suppporting animal abuse...I am sorry but there are no exceptions, they are either abused or they are not....and these animals are abused. I wish you people would stop comparing the Iditarod to one little group of pets that are not abused.....please take them out of this we are not talking about them....we are talking about the Iditarod,,,and anyone who watches, supports, and cheers on the mushers in this cruel race...are supporting dog abuse!!!!!
WE NEED TO STOP THESE GENRES THAT SUPPORT ANIMAL ABUSE....AND THESE ARE THE IDITAROD, PIT BULL FIGHTING, BULL FIGHTS GREYHOUND RACING ELEPHANTS IN THE CIRCUS, DANCING BEARS. sO PLEASE PEOPLE GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE, AND LOOK AT THE REAL PICTURE, READ THE STORIES, LOOK AT THE PICTURES, AND PULL YOU HEADS OUT OF THE SAND.....DO YOUR HOMEWORK THEN COME BACK, AND TELL US THAT THERE IS NO ABUSE IN THE IDITAROD....AND STOP BRINGING YOUR LITTLE LAP HUSKYS INTO THE PICTURE THEY HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS!!!!!

wow, LOL... you need to get out, or something. I think the vast vast majority of animal abuse occurs behind closed doors, not in the public eye in dog sports. Most people that participate in sports with their dogs (dog shows, sledding, agility, flyball, obedience) are well bonded and loving toward their dogs, and if anything spoil them MUCH more than the average "pet" home. You should be much more angry at the millions of americans STARVING their dogs, or leaving them in a pen/chained up for all of their life alone, or puppy mills overbreeding and then abandoning their dogs. There will be horrible people everywhere in this world, if anything dog sports are an activity that people do because they love their dogs and want to do as much with them as possible. I think that almost any working sledding dog is a lot happier than the millions of dogs who spend their entire life isolated, unexercised, and unstimulated (ie, a huge number of pet dogs).

I think you should try to volunteer at animal shelters, or do something, instead of coming on here and ranting senselessly. TRUST US, we of all people are 100% for outlawing and locking up all dog fighting and animal exploitation rings, along with prosecuting the average neglectful dog owner.

Shantidog
03-29-2005, 11:02 PM
By the way I am very active with animals....I DO volunteer at the aminal shelter!! I also have 6 rescue dogs of my own that I am trying to take care of....Please do not attempt to tell me what I should, and should not be doing!!

Jodie9
03-30-2005, 12:59 PM
By the way I am very active with animals....I DO volunteer at the aminal shelter!! I also have 6 rescue dogs of my own that I am trying to take care of....Please do not attempt to tell me what I should, and should not be doing!!

Thats surprising. :rolleyes:

bckrazy
03-30-2005, 06:20 PM

:rolleyes: I didn't tell you to do anything. I only suggested that you, maybe, stop screaming at people because that gets you no where, and direct your efforts to the millions of less informed dog owners compared to PT people.

By all means, continue to "try" to take care of your 6 rescues. Most of us here have our own loved and spoiled rescue dogs, including me.

wolfsoul
04-01-2005, 02:01 AM
if you support any sport where a dog or animal is hurt maimend or killed...YOU.....YOU are suppporting animal abuse...
A dog can be hurt, maimed, or killed in ANY dog sport. The Iditarod is only the tip of the iceburg. Way more dogs are injured or killed while hunting, working cattle or hogs, etc. I once heard about a dog going over a jump in agility, tripping, landing on his head and breaking his neck, killing himself. I've heard about dogs turning awkwardly in flyball and spraining/breaking a leg. I saw a dog on TV injure himself while doing frisbee. I suppose this means that we should discontinue every single dog sport there is? No matter WHAT a dog is doing, whether it's running in a race or running around the backyard, it is susceptible to injury. I guess that because I love dog sports, I'm supporting animal abuse.

You can't force a dog to run. There's absolutely no way on earth. They don't listen to whips or any means of physical abuse. If a dog wants to stop, they dog will stop. The owner in no way at all "makes" the dog run.

I think you should do some research on the breeds involved in the Iditarod. Alaskan huskies, Siberian huskies, etc. Sibes were originally bred to run alot longer and in alot rougher terrain than what the Iditarod has in mind. And unlike the dogs nowadays, they weren't fed all the time either. Alot of times they had to find their own food, their own shelter, and tend to their own needs until they would continue to run once again. That is what has shaped it into such an independant, lively, and energetic breed. It lives to run. I would never dream of asking a dog not bred for or not capable of such rough work to run the Iditarod. That would be incredibly cruel; but a husky knows what he's doing and can set his own pace. It's in their blood.

Personally, I've heard of and seen more dogs killed in their own backyard than out doing sports.

elizabethann
04-01-2005, 08:21 AM
As an FYI, I just saw a t.v. spot last night for an upcoming show on the Iditarod. I THINK it was either on the Outdoor Channel or the Travel Channel (honestly, I can't remember). Anyhow, they're doing a show on the dogs of the Iditarod. I think it's this weekend. I'm not sure the exact day or the exact time but if you did a search on the NET perhaps you could find it? I'll try to do a search myself to see if I can find anything. If I find anything, I'll post it. Anyhow, if anybody was interested in seeing what it's all about you could watch it. Just a thought.

elizabethann
04-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I just found something. It is on the OUTDOOR CHANNEL:

OLN® adds another best-in-class event to its roster with the 2005 Iditarod Sled Dog Race, presented by Cabela’s. The event begins in Anchorage, AK, and OLN’s telecast will provide comprehensive, end-to-end coverage, across 1,150 miles of the roughest, most beautiful terrain Mother Nature has to offer. From jagged mountain ranges, frozen rivers, desolate tundra and miles of wind-swept coastline, OLN will be there firsthand to document what has been called "The Last Great Race on Earth."

It's on April 2-3 at 10PM Eastern time and
April 4-6 8PM Eastern time.

I'll probably watch it too see what it's all about.

Just thought I'd let everybody know. Don't kill the messenger.

:)

wolfsoul
04-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I wish I had that channel! I'll see if I can get someone to tape it for me. It's one of my favourite channels because it has Top Dogs, but unfortunatly we are missing a whole bunch of channels and that is one of them.

lbaker
04-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Shantidog, I think you are a fool and a trouble maker whose only purpose in coming to this site is to try (unsucessfully) to stir things up and get attention. You are a waste of time and energy and have no clue just who we are and what we stand for.

Bonny
04-04-2005, 08:21 PM
The Iditorod started many years ago as an emergency serum run to save peoples lives. I look forward every year watching the race unfold on the internet. What I understand there are check points where veterinaries check each dog over. There are rest periods for the dogs, where they have to stop. The mushers take care of their dogs needs before all else. The dogs wear boots on their feet to protect them while racing. They sleep in straw & are feed a high protein warm meals. If I could be a husky dog I would bark my head off & run like mad. But I am a darn old human.:(

Shantidog
04-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Please do your research before you post here.....if you have not got the correct information do not even bother to air your viewpopints. do Your reading, and take off your blinders. First of all not all the dogs wear booties....They do not always stop for the requiered check poiints...or take the mandatory rest periods. It is not run like the original run...where there were relay teams...these dogs are forced to run the entire trip, and a a much faster spped!! DUH! NOT ALL THE DOGS ARE SIBERIAN HUSKIES...WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR INFORMATION? SOME OF THEM ARE MIXED BREEDS, AND SOME OF THEM ARE JUST POOR MUTTS1 i HAVE SEEN THEM...HAVE YOU? AND YES A DOG WILL NOT RUN ANYMORE EVEN IF IT IS WHIPPED....BECAUSE IT IS DEAD....PLEASE READ THE LINK AND THEN RESPOND......

wolfsoul
04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
It's not the Iditarod's fault if they don't stop at the required checkpoints. That's against the clearly stated rules. If they don't stop, they are disqualified. Big whoop for them. I doubt people actually decide to go against the rules and lose on a bunch of cash and fun.

If you read MY post, I stated not all of the dogs were sibes. I said "Alaskan huskies, Siberian huskies, etc." I saw on TV that most of the dogs aren't Sibes, but Alaskan huskies. Other people mentioned other breeds as well...

How do you know the only dogs that get whipped are the dead ones? Seems a little bit pointless...Not to mention whips aren't legal and are not used...Also, a person would be stupid not to rest their dogs. An unrested dog WON'T run. If a dog doesn't want to run, it won't run. ESECIALLY a Northern breed. Maybe you've seen Northern breeds, but if you had any experience with them you'd know how difficult it can be to get them to listen to you. If they don't want to, they won't do it. They are bred to run -- but they are also bred to be smart about running.

You keep saying you've SEEN it. So, you actually did the Itidarod? You watched every single person do it? And every single person used whips...every single person had their dogs die...Every person abused their dogs...they didn't feed them or rest them. Not to say I've run it either...But I've heard a great deal from people who have...People who are very good to their dogs. If I had a good team of dogs -- I would sure as heck run the Iditarod. I guess that means I'd have to whip them, shock them, scream at them...Pass right by the checkpoints just so that my dogs don't get veterinary care (out of spite, you know)...I wouldn't rest them and just throw their dead bodies aside when they are through with...Because that's what everyone does right? :rolleyes: Or I could follow the rules so that I'm not disqualified and actually have a CHANCE of winning. Give my dogs care...rest when they've had enough...And urge them on with shouts of excitement and nothing else.

bckrazy
04-25-2005, 09:14 PM
OMG. Shantiedog, just let this thread rest!! You have been proven wrong, you've gotten some attention for your "cause" (although my GAWD your attention would SO much better be spent helping the REAL abused and neglected dogs dying in shelters everysingleday!!), so please get on with your life :)

Bonny
04-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Lets get into the race & the people. My favorite Mushers are Aliy Zirkle & Dee Dee Jonrowe. These ladies are my heros. They are great examples of two ladies that give it there all & take the best care of there dogs huskeys, muttskeys whatever. You can read about the 2005 race on Iditrod.com. It is a great site & it covers the trail they all took, pictures of them feeding their dogs. ;)" Mush on my friends of the North" :p

Lexi_Lover
04-26-2005, 05:22 PM
One question, when did this race start, and when does it end? :confused: LOL! I don't see anything wrong with it, but shantidog, you seem to be trying to cause trouble and conflict here.

Bonny
04-26-2005, 09:38 PM
In 1925 in Nome, Alaska there was a diptheria epidemic. They could not fly the serum in by plane because of a blizzard & the Bering Sea was frozen. The Alaska Railroad rushed the serum to Nenana. From there Native Alaskans with their dogs, huskies, malamutes, mutt crosses from the lower 48, & wolves & wolve crosses, you name it, there were 20 some mushers in this RELAY for life,they raced 700 miles & it took approximately 6 days to get to Nome with the serum. They went over a mail & supply trail in a -60 degree blizzard with high winds. Dogs were used to hail gold out of Nome, along with mail etc. Dogs were a life line to the survival of humans in this harsh environment. They were a major part of the Alaskan economy & life of its people.
Today the Iditrod starts in Anchorage & there are two routes the northern & southern. They average from 1,112 miles to 1,161 miles. They start with an average of 16 in a team. :)

Bonny
04-26-2005, 09:42 PM
The team of 16 is dogs. This year they had 70 some human entries with their sled dog teams. ;)

jcsperson
05-03-2005, 08:16 PM
I find it amazing that a person who has seen a few sled dog races is suddenly an expert and knows how everyone in the sport treats their dogs.

You mushers out there, I can comiserate. I'm a racing greyhound owner and the stupidity and wretched ignorance I deal with on a daily basis is appalling. Nobody gets into these labor-intensive sports because they hate or want to abuse animals. Nobody stays up 'til all hours of the night helping a bitch whelp pups for the "glory" of winning or the "money." I haven't made a dime, but I'm madly, madly in love with my dogs, this breed and this sport.

Most Anti-Racing "experts" have never been to a track, seen a kennel or been on a farm. They are nothing more than internet busybodies who read web sites created by other ignorant internet busybodies. The furor created these past few days by an outfit that knew nothing of the circumstances of the Plainfield closing alarmed thousands of people for no reason. They didn't have a single one of their facts right.

My guess is that the AI (anti-Iditarod) activists know as little as AR (anti-racing) activists.

Suki Wingy
05-03-2005, 10:17 PM
A Dalmatian has to run 12.5 miles for a Road Dog title and 25 for a RDexelence, so it this too abuse? and from one of the posts on the 1st or 2nd page, PLEASE don't compare dog fighting with dog sledding:(

cocker_luva
05-05-2005, 10:30 PM
i smell a troll... a close minded troll.

GreyhoundDaddy
05-09-2005, 04:25 AM
I own a retired racing greyhound and a puppy who is on the farm right now waiting to go to training. She'll be racing in a year or so and you can bet yer hiney I'll be backing her all the way :)

Funny that both jcsperson and I should come over and have a 'looksee' here :)

He's much more eloquent than I.. so with that said... Shanti, you're an idiot. A typical know-nothing nobody with nothing to do with their time but spew vitriolic hatred... over an INTERNET MESSAGEBOARD!

Anyone wanna take some action that this guy/chick is full of it?

cyber-sibes
05-12-2005, 10:56 PM
:eek: This is quite a thread! I don't think I've ever seen things get so heated. Being the proud, loving, concerned owner of three beautiful Siberians (IMO one of the most wonderful breeds on this planet) all I can say is: MUSH ON!
You truly cannot make one of these dogs do anything they don't want to because they choose whether or not to listen to you (famous husky selective hearing). You can actually see them thinking it over! And they're truly happiest when they're on the move.
As many have pointed out, there are far more dogs that suffer cruelty at the hands of their "owners" right in their own backyards.
(just had to add my 2 cents in)

kuhio98
05-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by cyber-sibes
:eek: This is quite a thread! I don't think I've ever seen things get so heated. Being the proud, loving, concerned owner of three beautiful Siberians (IMO one of the most wonderful breeds on this planet) all I can say is: MUSH ON!
You truly cannot make one of these dogs do anything they don't want to because they choose whether or not to listen to you (famous husky selective hearing). You can actually see them thinking it over! And they're truly happiest when they're on the move.
As many have pointed out, there are far more dogs that suffer cruelty at the hands of their "owners" right in their own backyards.
(just had to add my 2 cents in)

AMEN!
I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I support the Iditarod and the mushers. Are there cruel mushers? Yes, just as there are cruel people everywhere. But the majority of us are good people. The cruel people always get payback at some point.

Last year we had an incident where an animal rights group "freed" some sled dogs. It was one of the cruelest things I've ever seen. A musher had brought his dogs into Anchorage. They were bedded down in their truck all warm and cozy. This group "freed" them into downtown Anchorage traffic!! Luckily none of them were hit by cars and locals helped round up the poor, frightened dogs.

If that's this groups idea of kindness, I don't know what to say.

Mazie
05-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Alright, I'm new to the forum and I'm probably jumping in with both feet by starting with this thread...but I had to stick my two cents in because after reading through this I was dumbfounded. First of all, I love the dog races, sports, herding etc. Anytime I see a dog doing what it was born to do - man, it's so impressive. As for dogs getting "hurt, killed, abused" in the races or sports, that's not an entirely true statement. Yes, it is possible for dogs to sustain injuries doing high-impact activities, but then again, my two dogs could run down the stairs too fast and break a leg - dogs and people, can get hurt doing just about anything. I am not involved in mushing (don't think my little peke/poodleX and rat terrier would get me too far;))but my dogs do participate in competive obedience, rally and agility, so I see how handlers treat their dogs on the courses and behind the scenes and from everything I"ve seen, if a dog is not bonded with their owners - it's not going to work. No matter what. I also know that yes, people train their dogs to win at these sports, and in order to do that, the dogs get the best. On agility days, my dog is often outdoors for long periods of time waiting for our run. during that time he's in his crate drinking cool water, has a crate fan and one of those heat resistant covers on his crate. And when it's his turn to run, he's spinning circles at the start line waiting to run - there's no stopping him, he's gonna run! I see the same look on the mushing dogs faces when they get their harnesses on and line up at the start line. I've seen the races on t.v. and I've seen dogs that have had sore pads (not cracked, not bledding or torn, just sore) sent back to the start by helicopter because the checkpoint vet said they need to rest. To me, that says this race (even though it's not run in the original way) is well planned, organized and has the dogs best interest in mind.

To all you mushers out there - be proud that you are letting your dog do what his heart wants to do.

Oh, and I have a question for the huskie owners - what's a good outlet for city huskies? There is a husky owner in my beginner class at the dog school and she is looking for a "job" for her dog. I told her I would poke around for her.

cyber-sibes
05-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Welcome to Pettalk, Mazie. I got a real kick out of imagining your two little furrys all harnessed up to a sled! Sounds like you have a great time with them at the obedience trials -- maybe you can post some pictures sometime, we'd all love to see your pups. As you can see by my logo, I am Mom to three siberians. We lived in the city with our first girl, Star, for 6 years. She busied her days with chasing squirrels in the trees in our yard for hours on end. We played fetch and took lots of walks. Once my kids were gone, we got another dog to keep her company. Huskies really need company. Their pack instinct is really strong and they get very lonely when left alone. We're out of the city now but I take my three almost daily to our local dogpark so they can run their little hearts out (which they do) and my extra-energetic little guy also gets as much fetching as he's willing to do.
One good thing to do is to be sure they "work" for whatever they get. They have to follow a command before they get treats, meals, attention, toys, you get the picture. It helps you keep your place as the head of the pack, which is important with this breed. I'm sure you'll get lots of other info from other husky owners on this site, there's quite a few.

lbaker
06-01-2005, 06:53 AM
Welcome Mazie, welcome to Pet Talk and thank you for your very astute views. You are among the majority, yet, other viewpoints are listened to with respect so again, thank you for a very welcome response :cool: I'm sure I can speak for others when I say I hope we hear more from you :)