PDA

View Full Version : Argh..How do I fix this?

DogLover9501
12-06-2004, 08:14 PM
I have a problem!

I finally decided to post about it, because it just happened again :rolleyes:

Jasper sometimes chases and jumps on the smaller pups and the cats.

Whenever he does it, I make him sit and I tell him no or put him into another room for a little bit, but it's obviously not working.

I know he's trying to play with them, but they are alot smaller than him and I don't want him to seriously hurt them someday :(

Any suggestions?

aly
12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Be consistent and don't ever let him get away with it. Keep redirecting him to a sit or another activity.

Do you know anyone with a big dog he could play with a few times a week? That might help him get rid of some energy and he might be less likely to chase the cats and other dogs.

Kfamr
12-06-2004, 08:30 PM
Make a time out place for him.
A bed, a couch, or just a corner.

Teach him to go tere on command..."Go lay down" "Time out".. whatever you chose.

It may take a while for him to catch on, but hopefully he will.
Then whenever he gets to rambunctios, give him the command. If he does it, praise him, of course.

DogLover9501
12-06-2004, 08:45 PM

Kay-I never thought of a corner, that would be better than a room(as he would never like going in the room I use).

Originally posted by aly
Do you know anyone with a big dog he could play with a few times a week?

I thought about this alot, I've tried my pitbull cousins, but they were never socialized and so that wasn't going to work.

The dog park is about 45 minutes away so we only go there about once a week, but now it's too cold.

I feel bad because he does want to play with them, he's just too big :(

Thanks again

chocolatepuppy
12-06-2004, 08:47 PM
I have a problem with Mandy pawing at my kitty Missy. It's ok when Mandy head butts Missy with whatever stuffie she has in her mouth, but then she starts the pawing. Of course Missy will stand up and box on Mandys head! I just tell her to leave Missy alone and lead her away if necessary. Fortunately she doesn't jump on the kitty. Mandy weighs 90lbs,Missy weighs 12 lbs.

Kfamr
12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
*cough*JasperNeedsARottieSibling*cough*

;)

DogLover9501
12-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

;)

I think a Rottie would be the perfect size for him to play with ;)

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-06-2004, 09:37 PM
*cough*JasperNeedsARottieSibling*cough*;)

Kay, I think that's the best idea yet;)

Robyn, I wish i could help but I have the same problem with Tango and Tia. I also have no idea how to solve it.

sammy101
12-06-2004, 09:47 PM

;)

sounds like a great idea to me!;) lol
ive never experienced that problem before so i cant really help you.