PDA

View Full Version : merlin ate the bed!!! HELP!

LorraineO
10-01-2004, 09:14 AM
I could kill my rotten dog people,,, lol lol,,, put him in his crate for bed and what did we wake up to???? Two lil brown eyes peering out from the MOUNDS and MOUNDS of foam from his now destroyed mattress I had just made for him..... I had to laugh once I stopped swearing tho,,,, so now what do I do??? What if he keeps eating his bedding?? do I put him in it for a night without bedding to try and teach him to not eat the bed????

senorita02
10-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Oh that is cute , you have to admit it, haha
Rita used to eat her bed ALL the time , then she would go eat Faces bed too!
After a while i stopped buying her beds, then i reintroduced beds for her again and so far she hasnt eaten it yet.
I think it was a puppy thing even tho she did it up to 1.5 years.

bsherman
10-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Yep, Tawny used to rip up the foam from her bed so she got blankets folded up. The yard used to be filled with little bits of foam. As she matured and realized the foam is more comfy she stopped. I bought those mattress covers and cut and folded them in half, sewed some old pillow case together and presto, new bed. She now has beds in three rooms. A little spoiled. She's getting old so we have to give in a little. It must have been a sight, you get upset and then laugh. Can't be helped. Did you get a picture?

pitc9
10-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Sierra has separation anxiety, and will destroy anything and everything that is left in her crate with her. She never has bedding in her crate, she has even gone so far as to pull Buddy's blanket into her crate, from his....and shread it!

It was pretty funny to leave home in the morning and Sierra has no blanket, and Buddy has a blanket. Then to come home and see Sierra sitting in her crate, on top of a pile of shreadings that used to be a blanket!:rolleyes:

PJ's Mom
10-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
I had to laugh once I stopped swearing tho,,,, so now what do I do???

Take a picture, because we wanna see. :D

aly
10-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by LorraineO
What if he keeps eating his bedding?? do I put him in it for a night without bedding to try and teach him to not eat the bed????

Don't do that because he won't make the connection at all. I'd try to figure out WHY he did it first. It could be many things. Maybe he didn't get enough exercise yesterday? Or it could be just puppy antics. Or it might be seperation anxiety, although I doubt that is what it is because you would have seen other signs already. Next time you leave him in his crate with a bed, be sure to give him plenty of exercise before he goes in. You can also leave a non-desctructable toy in there with him - stuffed kong, Booda bone, etc.

LorraineO
10-01-2004, 12:01 PM
didnt get pics,, sorry,, but I do have 2 shopping bags full of spare foam if anyone is interested!!?? :D

We do put him to bed with a nyla bone and kong ball...both Lucy and Merlin each have 2 toys that stay in thier beds all the time....

K9soul
10-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Tasha did the same thing, I bought two of those nice crate foam pads before I gave up. For her, she did it because she discovered that she loved pulling stuffing/foam apart. She did it with stuffed animals, the sofa cushions, and the comforter on our bed too. David put her in her crate once when we were going out to eat, but ended up not really latching the door all the way shut. We came home and both of the large sofa cushions (the actual sofa seats) were on the floor along with TONS of white stuffing all over the living room. She was very happy and elated :p

Anyway, I just stopped putting any bedding in her crate then for awhile, while still providing chew toys. After a while I tried a towel in there and she chewed it some but it wasn't as fun because it had no stuffing.

She eventually grew out of her destructive phase, though it took awhile..

Jods
10-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Mercedes has done our old couch, our new couch and the one we got used... I"ll have to take pics of it :rolleyes:

4 Dog Mother
10-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Our dogs have carpet pieces that have a little tougher backing on them. Oreo the 15 year old is the only one who has actually destroyed one totally!

guster girl
10-01-2004, 07:54 PM
I just fill Finn's crates with towels and/or sheets. Not quite ready to buy a bed for a chewer. ;)

KYS
10-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Sheba is not a chewer and her toys last forever.
I will never forget the time I took her to Dog Camp.
She had to be left in the crate for about an hour,
while we had a human meeting.
Sheba loves her crate but NEVER WITH the DOOR CLOSED!
She suffered anxiety and chewed up her crate bed and
drooled all over.

I felt so bad, I Never closed the crate door again.

Feel good that he is not suffering separation anxiety and he should grow out of it. I would give him cheap beds for now
or even an old blanket for his crate. :)

The_Duck
10-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Ah yes, the bed eating. And we thought bed wetting was a problem, HA! ;) :p My Malamute/Husky, Julie, was a terror in her crate when we first got her. She'd paw at the floor and scream for hours before finally settling in to chew the living daylights out of mat. We sewed it and sewed it and finally just took it out. It isn't really necassary to have one if the chewing becomes a major problem, but I know they're nice to have. Perhaps it's just the puppy stages? Julie no longer has problems with being in her crate, as a matter-of-fact, she loves it in there and she doesn't bother with any type of matting we lay down for her anymore. Sometimes its just the puppy mentality..."When you're bored...CHEW!!!!"....

LorraineO
10-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Well so far,, lil monsterface hasnt chewed the blanket we replaced his foamy with,,,, thanks so much for your stories and suggestions,, it really helps!!!:D

Jods... *3* couches?????? wow,,,,, :rolleyes: you must have the patience of a saint!!!:D

Amos
10-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Our male dobe and terrier mix (Killian and Buddy) chewd up my new recliner after only having it one month!!!!! got it recovered and 3 months later I came home to foam, foam, and more foam!!!!! That's when we decided to keep them in one room during the day and blocked them in with a baby gate. That didn't last long because we came home to DRYWALL all over and they learned to go potty on the drywall like it was a great idea!!!!! so, we finally got crates (killian passed away in march) and Buddy has no problem with chewing anymore. he doesn't even fuss about going in there. Our new puppies like to chew and we put wet rolled up wash cloths in the freezer for about an hour or so and they go bonkers over them. Must feel good on their teefers!!!!