PDA

View Full Version : Yellow labs: Why are most of then dumb and like to beg?

danny
07-23-2004, 12:36 AM
Why is my dog dumb and likes to beg i mean she acts stupid lol do yours too??

Kfamr
07-23-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm a firm believer in it's all how you train them. :)

DogLover9501
07-23-2004, 12:41 AM
No dogs are "stupid/dumb" and they have to be taught good manners, you can't just expect them to know what they are suposed to do.

danny
07-23-2004, 12:42 AM
lol yes but we have taught her and she acts innormal not like a normal dog.lol kinda dumb lol but y does she beg i mean we tell her no and spank her but not hard.plz click (http://torax.outwar.com/page.php?x=19029)

DogLover9501
07-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Maybe you should try more positive reinforcement instead

danny
07-23-2004, 12:45 AM
how? lol

Aspen and Misty
07-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Not to be rude, but this isn't a dateing service.

Also, I ditto Kay.

Ashley

danny
07-23-2004, 12:47 AM
lmao yes i know i just got it on there to embaress my sis and to let everyone know wat i look like i just like it on there lol

DogLover9501
07-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Well things like, when she is laying in her bed/rug..somewhere, then you could get a snack or just anything at all, and praise her and maybe give her a treat for laying there while your eating a snack

And if you do it enough, she should know that she'll get a treat if she stays there while your eating

Tonya
07-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Labs are one of the smartest breeds, she must need more attention and training. Spanking doesn't help much. Positive reinforcement means that you give her treats and/or praise when she does the right thing.

GoldenRetrLuver
07-23-2004, 12:50 AM
Don't hit her. Hitting her will only make her fearful of you; and it doesn't help her learn anything. Use positive reinforcement.

danny
07-23-2004, 12:51 AM
duh lol i know that but shes dumb cause she doesnt understand wat we mean when we praise her weve tried praising but fur some reason it dont help much lol we give her tasty little dog treats when we praise. p.s. dont ask how i know they are tasty. lmao

danny
07-23-2004, 12:51 AM
i dont hit her i spank her when shes bad im not a cruel person.

binka_nugget
07-23-2004, 01:11 AM
Some dogs tend to be a bit more slower than others but (generally), I believe that a well behaved dog reflects on how well of a trainer the owner is.

My dogs know not to bother us when we're eating. When I initially trained them to not beg, I would stand up and would eat my meal. I wouldn't pay any attention to them what so ever... not even eye contact. Then at the end of the meal, the alpha (me) would then give all the other pack members (the two dogs) their meal (treats or their own kibble). I only gave it at the end of the meal if they weren't jumping up. They got used to it pretty quickly.

Edit: The link in your sig led to a page that asked to install a program. Instincts told me it may have been a virus... just a warning to others.

danny
07-23-2004, 01:13 AM
o ok ty fur the tip hopefully it comes in handy :)

MariaM
07-23-2004, 01:32 AM
Maybe she can't understand you because you aren't being clear in your training. I would try reading some books, or looking up positive reinforcement training on the internet. There are alot of great sites. If you need some help finding the links/books, PM me.

rg_girlca
07-23-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by danny

I would like to know, how do you spank a dog, without hitting it:confused:

Aspen and Misty
07-23-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
I would like to know, how do you spank a dog, without hitting it:confused:

It's like how do you spank a child without hitting it??

Ash

danny
07-23-2004, 06:48 AM
ok now if i hit the dog than im hitting it fur no reason if i spank it its because of decipline and i have already said that my dog doesnt understand positive reinforcement training.

binka_nugget
07-23-2004, 07:11 AM
ok now if i hit the dog than im hitting it fur no reason if i spank it its because of decipline and i have already said that my dog doesnt understand positive reinforcement training.

Now.. that can't be totally true. Part of positive reinforcement is finding out what your dog wants. I could offer toys all day to Kaedyn, he wouldn't do a darn thing for me. If I offered treats, he'd be right by me waiting for the next command. You just need to find out what your dog likes.. play? Praise from you? Food [sometimes dogs get bored of the same treats..try mixing it up a little]?

One of my dogs, Kai, switches to different moods. Sometimes he isn't in the mood to work for food. Sometimes he isn't in the mood to work for physical praise. But because I found the one thing that he can't resist, it made training him to come so much easier (hide and seek).

Barbara
07-23-2004, 07:17 AM
Don't get yourself involved too much with this person. He -and some others- are already trying to mix up the cat side. They're just trolls.
(In this case a pretty baby troll;) but nevertheless a troll).

dukedogsmom
07-23-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't consider any trolls pretty and I agree Barbara. In this case, it's definately not the dog, it's the owner. I feel sorry for the dog, if there is one.

Samantha Puppy
07-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
Don't get yourself involved too much with this person. He -and some others- are already trying to mix up the cat side. They're just trolls.
(In this case a pretty baby troll;) but nevertheless a troll). Took the words right out of my mouth.

If you ignore them, they don't get the reactions they're hoping for, and they'll go away.

Chalk it up to immaturity... and do not respond to this post anymore (or any other post the baby troll may make)!

Smilla
07-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Holy cow, are all teenagers today exactly the same? Why do they all try to dress/speak like hip urban kids? Were we as homogeneous? Probably, I suppose, but I'd sure hate to be a teenager these days. Boooooring!

Logan
07-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Smilla
Holy cow, are all teenagers today exactly the same? Why do they all try to dress/speak like hip urban kids? Were we as homogeneous? Probably, I suppose, but I'd sure hate to be a teenager these days. Boooooring!

They are NOT all the same, Smilla, I promise. We have some really good ones right here on Pet Talk, and I have a "good" one living under my roof too!!!! :D

Smilla
07-23-2004, 08:13 AM
Oops, you're right--I should know better than to make blanket statements. ;)

Kfamr
07-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Probably, I suppose, but I'd sure hate to be a teenager these days. Boooooring!

You've got that right! That's why I DREAD going back to school. I cannot stand the kids in my school!

As for this person, whom doesn't know the difference between hitting and spanking, :rolleyes: , I believe we shouldn't even waste our time. Isn't this the same person as the kitten person?

swimma253
07-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
Not to be rude, but this isn't a dateing service.

Also, I ditto Kay.

Ashley

^^^I agree with everything you just said... first of all this is not a PERSON talk... it is a PET talk... I mean Im not going to tell you what to have in your signature.... but most people have it of their PETS... it just seems kind of abnormal....

and secondly I agree with Kfamr. No dogs are stupid(at least thats what I think) and their intelligence will come mostly from their training.

swimma253
07-23-2004, 08:32 AM
o ok ty fur the tip hopefully it comes in handy :)

What does TY mean? And the point in typing FUR instead of FOR would be? I mean its not like you are saving time.... it is the same amount of letters!!! To anwser some peoples questions... Not all teenagers talk like that! I am 13 and I try my best NOT to talk like that. ( I dont think I do)

bluekat
07-23-2004, 09:46 AM
You've got that right! That's why I DREAD going back to school. I cannot stand the kids in my school!

LOL I agree, most of the kids around here are very immature:rolleyes:

And I ditto what Barbara said...I'm getting so sick of all these Trolls around here!

BitsyNaceyDog
07-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by swimma253
What does TY mean? And the point in typing FUR instead of FOR would be? I mean its not like you are saving time.... it is the same amount of letters!!! To anwser some peoples questions... Not all teenagers talk like that! I am 14 and I try my best NOT to talk like that. ( I dont think I do)

Yeah, it's no fun to have to try to figure out what someone is saying. He wrote ty for thank you. I don't care for teenage "children" either. However we do have wonderful mature teenagers here at pet talk.

When my dogs misbehave I simply give them a stern "NO" and that does the trick. No spanking necessary.

*LabLoverKEB*
07-23-2004, 01:29 PM

Hitting is the same thing as spanking! And that is so cruel! And Labs are soooo far from dumb!

Samantha Puppy
07-23-2004, 01:37 PM
He's a troll! He probably doesn't even have a dog, he's only saying things like this to get a reaction out of you guys on here. Don't reply anymore to this post or any other he makes, and he will go away. Trust me.

Just chalk it up to an immature kid with too much time on his hands.

tatsxxx11
07-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I doubt Labs would be the breed of choice for therapy dogs, sight assistance dogs, etc. if they were so dumb and untrainable. My Lab's smarter than everyone in my family, that's for sure!:D Please don't hit your dog. No matter what word you choose to label it as, it's physical abuse and teaches her only to fear you and fear can easily lead to aggression. After all, you'd try and defend yourself is someone hit you, wouldn't you?

dukedogsmom
07-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Ignore him, and he'll leave. Read the troll story in the dog house.

Toller 42
07-23-2004, 02:07 PM
I can't stand people like him!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :rolleyes: :mad:

cocker_luva
07-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Holy cow, are all teenagers today exactly the same? Why do they all try to dress/speak like hip urban kids?

no, not all of us are! ;) each of us have our identities, some just like to immitate others. :rolleyes: :D

Toller 42
07-23-2004, 06:55 PM
I'm a teenager and I never talk like that!

Aspen and Misty
07-23-2004, 07:41 PM

I personally Resent this comment.

I do not speak hip unless I am kidding with my friend Brook. I like to dress modestly and not "hip or urban" as you call it. I don't think a statement like this should be made. It's not like I am saying All adults are the same - boreing and judgmental.

Ashley

Amber
07-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I personally Resent this comment.

I do not speak hip unless I am kidding with my friend Brook. I like to dress modestly and not "hip or urban" as you call it. I don't think a statement like this should be made. It's not like I am saying All adults are the same - boreing and judgmental.

Ashley

Don't worry, she alreay realized not all teens are like that.

Smilla
07-23-2004, 08:36 PM
Yes, I have already admitted my wrongdoing. I'm not afraid to admit when I've made a mistake. ;)

Toller 42
07-23-2004, 08:37 PM
sorry, I didn't see that post.

help!
07-23-2004, 09:45 PM
i agree with the positive reinforcement... we have a shepherd puppy and that seems to work better than a spank. Try when you see the dog even take a rest for one second praising it ...... "good dog good down and stay" and show it a little attention. the best thing we did was hercules does not get patted until in the sitting position! good luck!

Desert Arabian
07-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Yellow Labs are not dumb, Labradors in general are one of the smartest breeds. There are no dumb dogs, just dumb owners- WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE COUGH COUGH.

And Danny, I know you are a troll, we all know you are a troll, just leave already, if you get your kicks by coming to a pet board full of pet lovers, that is pathetic and lame. Go outside and play basketball or something that will benifit yourself (and others). Quit wasting our time.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ilovemydoggy
07-24-2004, 02:45 AM
You spank her!? :eek:

help!
07-24-2004, 01:16 PM
sorry spank was obviously the wrong word but he has gotten a tap on the nose..... did you happen to read thr rest of that b4 resonnding?

Kfamr
07-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by help!
sorry spank was obviously the wrong word but he has gotten a tap on the nose..... did you happen to read thr rest of that b4 resonnding?

Hmm.. new name?

swimma253
07-24-2004, 09:46 PM
im thinking the same thing kfamr....

swimma253
07-24-2004, 09:48 PM
haha!!! sorry if this is offending anyone but I think he got banned from the site!!!:D

Amber
07-24-2004, 10:45 PM
He did!

Serves him right!

almamee
07-24-2004, 11:34 PM

I'm a teenager and i don't speak like that because i don't want to be cool or a punk i just want to have good friends not dumd ones

MariaM
07-24-2004, 11:35 PM
How did you know he was banned? Is there a way to tell when somebody is banned?

GoldenRetrLuver
07-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
How did you know he was banned? Is there a way to tell when somebody is banned?

Look in the spot where his avatar is supposed to be. It says "banned".

Thanks Karen! :D

almamee
07-24-2004, 11:40 PM
well I saw next to his name like yours is Major i think well his said banned

MariaM
07-24-2004, 11:40 PM
Look in the spot where his avatar is supposed to be. It says "banned".

Oh:o I must be getting tired. Thanks!

dukedogsmom
07-25-2004, 06:25 AM
His mom was hosting his site. I did some research to find that out. I wrote to her and this is her reply. She didn't get the point that he was being a complete pest, however.
Just to let you know this is my son. I have spoken with him, the outwar.com link he put in the post does not contain a virus there is nothing there to even download. It is just a game site and he gets points for people clicking his link. However, I explained to him that he is NOT to post the link to non-related sites. That the petoftheday.com website is not the type of website that knows anything about outwar.com and that it is totally wrong to do. He said the link was his signature tag and would remove it and didn't realize that and was very sorry. Also again please note there was absolutely no virus!

Thank you so very very much for emailing and bringing this to my attention.