PDA

View Full Version : Good Collars..

sammy101
07-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know any good collars at PetsMart?Were going to get Kodie a new collar and most collars we get are like at Target or some place like that.and most of them BROKE! so we need a strong one thats reliable! any suggestions welcome!!:)

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
I really like leather collars, and the ones with the metal buckels
instead of the plastic snaps. I just do not trust the plastic snaps.

Toller 42
07-19-2004, 08:57 PM
The PetSmart I go to has mostly buckle collars but they are extremely strong. I bought a collar for my Rotti and it has a silver buckle on it and she can pull as hard as she wants and it still wouldn't break. My other dogs tug on it all the time (even though they aren't supposed to) and it's still held together, the manager at PetSmart said that is the best collar for all large dogs. NEVER buy a choke chain many people say it's good but it actually can ruin the trachea in a dogs throat!

here is a pic of her.

binka_nugget
07-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Leather collars and Hemp collars are great for strong dogs. I'd also go with a metal buckle. Plastic buckles seem flimsy. I don't even trust them with my 23 lb Sheltie.

MariaM
07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmm...well right now Major has an old belt that was cut off...we didn't have anything for him when we got him. We have a red nylon color, with a ...well I think it's a buckle...it's not the ones you snap in place. He still has to grow into that one though. Right now I can't really afford to get him a real collar, and the other one is doing pretty good for him.

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 10:42 PM
I've always used safety collars on my dogs and have never had a problem.

stacwase
07-20-2004, 09:43 AM
I like leather buckle collars too. They're very strong and durable, and actually look better the older they get.

anna_66
07-20-2004, 09:55 AM
This is the kind both of the girls have
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/z010349_14f19.jpg
They are the Rolled Bridle Leather Dog Collars (available at PetsMart for around $10). They look good and last. Roxey's had hers for 3 years and it still looks like new.

cloverfdx
07-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Elvis has the same collar as Roxey and Honey :D I love them they dont wear away at the dogs coat and they look great.

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v155/cloverfdx/AAElvisCollar1.jpg
Elvies nice rolled leather Collar. :D

And just for fun at the moment Clover wears a black spiked Collar when we go out but for suppervised wear only. :)

http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v155/cloverfdx/AACloverCollar1.jpg
Clovers collar with cute Cow bell attached. :D

I dont trust the plastic clip collars either.

Cincy'sMom
07-20-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't believe you can buy thema t Petsmart, but we have Premier collars. They are sort of lke a choke, but made of nylon and will only tighten so far. The dog can not back out of them. they also make a Chinook variety that has a safety break away feature. I think they are great collars.

prechrswife
07-20-2004, 02:05 PM
We usually have the nylon collars with metal buckles. (Something we learned at our vet's office--If a nylon collar gets dirty and yucky-looking, you can wash it in the washing machine. When Oscar had to spend the night at the vet's and we went to pick him up the next morning, the kennel worker started to put his collar back on. We said, "That's not our collar." Then she told us that she had washed it with some of the blankets and stuff. It looked like new.)

When we had RB Gus, we had to use leather collars because he was terrible about getting out of the nylon collars and taking off Max's collar, as well.