PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to give weekly baths??

DogLover9501
07-19-2004, 07:24 PM
Since Jasper has bad skin, he really stinks alot, and now, so does my room, the furniture..basically the HOUSE!

My mom is getting really mad, and is always on my case about it.

I think a weekly bath might help alot, because right now he has one monthly. But will this make him more itchy? I think I heard that too many baths can give him dry skin.

And also should I use his regular shampoo(oatmeal shampoo) once a month, and then something less strong like baby shampoo for the other baths?

Any other suggestions about making the house or Jasper smell better??

Thanks

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Personally, because he has such bad skin, I wouldn't bathe him that often. It can cause skin irritations. :rolleyes: But, if you HAVE to bathe him, I'd recommend getting a presrciption shampoo from your vet for skin problems. If you can't get a prescription shampoo, go with the mildest oatmeal shampoo you can find. Don't use anything with colours or fragrances and don't use cologne or anything like that. If you can, try not to bathe him more than twice a month. You don't want to take a chance of irritating his skin more. :) I was a groomer for several years, and have seen more dogs with bad skin because people were bathing too much and using harsh shampoos n stuff...

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Oh, do NOT use any kind of human shampoo, baby or otherwise. Dogs have a different Ph balance and that can cause problems too. Stick to oatmeal, just oatmeal.

DogLover9501
07-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Ack, okay thanks.

Well are there any oder sprays/powders for the house/furniture that actually work?

heinz57_79
07-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Febreeze! :) We have a constant supply around the house just cuz sometimes daily cleaning doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

Kfamr
07-19-2004, 07:48 PM
YES! It's okay to give him a bath once a week.

I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but Valerie uses some sort of Tea Tree shampoo on Duke. He has itchy skin and is miserable without the shampoo! I believe she gives him a bath once a week as well. My dogs get all itchy If I don't bathe them once a week. I use an Oatmeal/Baking soda shampoo on my mutts.

I also use a (human) Tea Tree shampoo for me, because I have a dry/itchy scalp, and it's made it sooo much better since i've started using it!

DogLover9501
07-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by heinz57_79
Febreeze! :) We have a constant supply around the house just cuz sometimes daily cleaning doesn't cut it. :rolleyes:

That's what my dad kept telling my mom, and mom kept saying "None of that stuff ever works, we'll never get the smell out of our house..etc..etc..etc" :rolleyes:

DogLover9501
07-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
YES! It's okay to give him a bath once a week.

I'm not sure what it's called exactly, but Valerie uses some sort of Tea Tree shampoo on Duke. He has itchy skin and is miserable without the shampoo! I believe she gives him a bath once a week as well. My dogs get all itchy If I don't bathe them once a week. I use an Oatmeal/Baking soda shampoo.

Hmm, I seen "Tea Tree shampoo" when I was out shopping, maybe I could try that!