PDA

View Full Version : litter issues

truthwax
10-12-2000, 11:51 AM
We have 2 cats, both less than 7 months, and both seem to have a problem with covering their poo. They seem bothered with the uncovered poo, but all they do is scrape the litter pan and the floor around the litter pan, as if more litter will magically appear. If someone has some advice, please let me know b/c our house is getting stinky...

dogncatluvr
10-12-2000, 07:06 PM
Were your kittens taken from their mom really young? She usually shows them what to do. I have 1 cat that was a stray kitten and she does not cover up after herself. The 3 other cats always cover up. She has not learned from them, even after 13 years of my oldest cat being an example to her. I just clean the litter box ASAP after she goes.

EileenKay
10-14-2000, 06:57 PM
What dogncatluvr says is true, this can occur not only in cats taken from mom too early, it can occur in cats whose mothers had the same habit whether the cat was with mother or not!

Additionally this practice can occur because the cats don't like the way your particular brand of litter feels on their paws. Since your cats seem uncomfortable and seem to perform the proper actions (in the wrong place), that may be the case in your situation.

[This message has been edited by EileenKay (edited October 14, 2000).]

Doris
10-20-2000, 09:53 AM
No wonder my Persian cat doesn't cover up her litter as does my older cat does. I guess she must has been separated from her mother at a young age. I bought her when she was 3 months old from a pet shop.
Although she insists that the litter box must have sand for her to do business unlike the other cat.

paula
10-21-2000, 03:40 AM
Be grateful that your cat actually uses the litter tray. I have had my own and many foster kittens/cats go to the toilet beside their tray/s. Cats are unique animals that need lots of understanding.

lhg0962
10-22-2000, 03:41 PM
My cat rarely uses the litter box, preferring to run outside to do her business and then back in. But, on the occasions that she does, she scratches all around, including the wallpaper, floor, etc., but rarely covers her mess! I rented a house several years ago and she had shredded one section of the wallpaper in the bathroom where her litter box was. My hateful landlords charged me too! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif

BassetHound08
11-11-2000, 09:45 AM
If your cat isn't covering her poop try getting a bigger litter pan,and/or put more litter in the pan. because it comes natural for cats to cover their poop, even if they're
stray they try to cover it with soil.
:rolleyes