PDA

View Full Version : My new fosters.

jenluckenbach
02-09-2004, 06:03 AM
I do not have them yet, but I thought I'd start with a little background on them.

Our area had a murder/suicide lately, committed by a man who shot his e-wife, his daughter, her boyfriend and them himself. But he had also been shooting cats for weeks prior to this. I am a bit sketchy on whose cats these were, but I know that right now there are supposedly around 20 cats who need to be brought into safety. They are reportedly not feral, but nice tame house cats who are now on the loose. They are hiding on the property and have some out buildings for shelter, but nothing more. I hope we can catch them all soon.

One by One will be taking in 7 to 8 of them, more if we can find the foster space. I agreed to take up to 3.

What we need now are some adoptions (leaving room for another), more foster homes, FOOD (they are reportedly VERY hungry) and just plain donations to fund their testing etc.

Such a sad world we live in. :(

Randi
02-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Oh, what a tragedy. Poor kitties. :( I hope they will be caught soon and find forever loving homes.

Best of luck. :)

moosmom
02-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Jen,

I offered before and the offer still stands for fostering!!

K & L
02-09-2004, 12:58 PM
It's so sad to hear stories like this, but wonderful that there are people like yourself to care enough to help!

jenluckenbach
02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Thank you Donna. I will see what they have to say about a long distance foster. The transport might be the draw back though.

CatDad
02-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Incidents like that are sad. At least the guy who had been doing the shooting will not be doing that anymore.

Well if the reports are true and they are not feral it will make it easier to foster them. Trying to look on the bright side of things.

Looking forward to hearing about the new fosters.:)

Still praying and keeping good thoughts for those that still need good homes.

Steffi N
02-09-2004, 08:43 PM
How very sad and tragic. I hope the cats can be caught and placed in their foster homes soon.

Felicia's Mom
02-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Best of luck in catching them, and finding them good homes.

leslie flenner
02-09-2004, 09:51 PM
ok EEEEKKK! How thorough is the whoever animal rescue that looks into these matters on day one (ie, within days of shooting -ugh, I hate to even say it but). The reason I ask if there was an animal rescue there within 1st day or 2 is because:
Revere, MA- newspaper article. older woman found laying in piles of newspapers, couldn't get up for several days- hundreds of cats removed...
And you all can imagine the rest! Well, on a fluke, jan and I drove by this little one story home, and while standing outside within the 1st 5 minutes, neighbors came up and said the the Boston Animal Rescue League had taken out a lot of cats (we were, like, yeah, we saw the photos in the paper, ouch). But then they said there was one cat inside. The house was boarded up and sprayed with insecticide. But they insisted that there was still one all black cat trapped inside. This was a week after the League had been there. We saw evidence, there were paw and claw marks on the front windows. I took pictures in case we got caught doing something illegal. We tried to pry open window, boards, you name it, no way in. Finally, we did find the cat by looking in the back kitchen window. (He was in there crying). It was probably about 11 or 12 at night and not the best of neighborhoods. We didn't want the police coming around and the neighbors, though concerned, would not approve of breaking and entering for an animal.
The only way to possibly get this poor cat would be to break down the back door. So jan knocked in a square of the back door (about 8inches by 8inches) and pushed a trap up to the hole, we put bricks all around it so there would be no way he could escape into the neighborhood. Put juicy mackerel in the trap... an hour later, he was in. The gals at the Animal Umbrella named him Bogie and he was adopted immediatly. In the meantime, I called Animal Rescue League and complained of their incompetence and also same to the local Lynn Item newspaper. Nothing came of it of course. The poor old woman was Russian, knew little to no english, and was put in a nursing home. I'm sure she remembered her cats and wondered what became of them...
ok, i digress only to mention that: Is it at all possible that there are cats inside the house? Let us know! Am I being an alarmist! (I usually am..)

jenluckenbach
02-10-2004, 05:37 AM
I am only a foster home at this point, I will not be going to the scene. I know they are heading there on Thurs. The only article about this that I was made aware of, was in a very local paper (I did not see it). I was told that it does NOT say that all the cats in the house were shot, all it said was the man reloaded several times. But I guess the first people to arrive there found the dead cats and none alive inside. But I am sure the rescuers will look in the house to make sure no one got BACK inside, because they know their job.

I am still not sure who I am getting. I was told that among the cats was an all white one that I'd be interested in. But does it REALLY matter who? NO, not really.

It won't be sooner than Friday though, so stay tuned.

Barbara
02-10-2004, 08:25 AM
What a terrible sad and mad story! I am so sorry for his poor family and these poor cats!

I am so glad you can take some in Jen, keep fingers crossed that there are people to adopt close by:)

catcrazylady
02-10-2004, 08:57 AM
What an absolutely horrible story!

Killearn Kitties
02-10-2004, 11:43 AM
What a dreadful story. I'm glad you are able to take some.

kimlovescats
02-10-2004, 12:44 PM
What a very sad, and sick story!!! :( :( :(
Good luck with your rescue efforts, Jen .... and thanks for offering your home to 3 of them! ;)

AvaJoy
02-17-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
. . . At least the guy who had been doing the shooting will not be doing that anymore . . . Trying to look on the bright side of things . . .

I agree. Amid such an awful tragedy, that is the one comforting thought.

Sending prayers that the remaining kitties will be soon under loving care and find homes.

jenluckenbach
02-18-2004, 04:45 AM
I am getting 2 today. A solid blue male and a male that has the color of a flame point Siamese (but the build of a DSH).

It seems some of the ones they are catching now are more feral and may end up as TNR.

jenluckenbach
02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
This is Moa. Looks like a Siamese in coloration but DSH in build.
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/PA02/PA02.2557163-1-pn.jpg
And this is Smokey Joe
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/PA02/PA02.2544721-1-pn.jpg
2 very nice boy kitties. Maybe Sunday will be their lucky day !

PayItForward
02-18-2004, 04:09 PM
They are just beautiful, Jen.

Fingers crossed for them on Saturday

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-18-2004, 04:19 PM
They are beautiful, Jen! Moa reminds me of Butter. :D

Good luck on Sunday! :D

CatDad
02-18-2004, 11:48 PM
They are really cute, I like the coloring on Moa. Of course I really like gray kitties too.:)

I will keep good thoughts for them on Sunday.:D

catcrazylady
02-19-2004, 10:33 AM
OMG! They are so adorable!! I bet they get adopted Sunday because they are beautiful and because of where they came from. People like a pet with an interesting story behind it. I know thats sick but we all know that its true.
Good Luck Sunday but I don't think it would be too bad to live with these beauties if they don't get adopted!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

K & L
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Beautiful cats! The first one reminds me of Catsnclays Yoshi!

jenluckenbach
02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Poor babies are stressed. Sweet Smokey has an URI and they are both kind of scared at all the changes going on in their lives. But they are going to be real sweeties once they start to feel comfortable.

but let me tell you......DON'T visist me today!!! They are recently neutered MALES and this house REEKS!!!! They still have that odor and I think we had a bit of an accident that I am still trying to locate. They are only in one room, but it carries.:eek:

Ah this is the life, NO?

rg_girlca
02-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Awww Jen, Moa and Smokey Joe are gorgeous. I'm sorry to hear they are stressed and Smokey has an URI, but being under your great care, I know they will come around in no time at all and Smokey's URI will clear up with a full and complete recovery.
Take care and hang in there Jen.:)

Killearn Kitties
02-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Aww, they're gorgeous! I hope they settle down quickly, for all your sakes!:D

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2004, 11:55 PM
They're both gorgeous.:) I sure hope that they settle down soon and that Smokey's URI will clear up soon. Please keep us updated.

kimlovescats
02-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Jen they are sooooo handsome!!! Hey, don't I KNOW about the odours that come with the territory!!! :rolleyes: You know what I have discovered and LOVE for a quick fix on the nose, especially when guests pop in???? INCENSE!!!! very cheap and smells up the room FAST! :D

AvaJoy
02-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
. . . They are recently neutered MALES and this house REEKS!!!! They still have that odor and I think we had a bit of an accident that I am still trying to locate. They are only in one room, but it carries.:eek:. . .

A black light should quickly locate the soiled areas, but with all your experience you probably already know this trick. I've been meaning to get one because of my Debra's irratic peeing tendencies.

CatDad
02-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Hopefully all will be well soon.:)

I am sure that they will calm down and be fine. Good thoughts for speedy recoveries from there surgeries.

Let us know how they do.