PDA

View Full Version : still looking for kittens to adopt

weniki30
01-18-2004, 12:21 AM
I have been keeping an eye on the rescue websites and checking with the SPCA weekly. I have found a few people with kittens 3 months old or less. I plan to go see two kittens tomorrow and am emailing with one other person regarding kittens they have. Other than that, no luck. By the time I come across some they seem to already be adopted or be too old.

If anyone hears of two (preferably Siamese or Himalayan) kittens that are 3 months old (or less) ready to be adopted please let me know. My husband and I would love to bring two babies into our home.

Sincerely,
Weniki in Houston, TX

krazyaboutkatz
01-18-2004, 12:54 AM
Hi weniki30. Welcome to Pet Talk.:) I was just wondering why you have to adopt a young kitten? My last 3 cats were all between 8 months old and 1 year old when I adopted them and everything has worked out very well.
This time of year it's usually very hard to find young kittens. I know because I adopted my first cat in January and I was also looking for a kitten. I'm glad I couldn't find any though because Storm stuck his paw out of his cage and picked me to be his new mommy. He was 1 year old at the time and now he's just turned 8 years old. Good luck with your kitten hunt.:)

weniki30
01-18-2004, 01:16 AM
We have a 14 year old Himalayan that generally does not get along with any other animals at all. She has been raised from a couple of weeks old as an only pet, for the most part.

She is old now. She gets very lonlely while we are away at work. We are hoping to give her some company she will accept.

I noticed she did not seem to mind a young kitten that one of my husband's roommates had before we were married.
I had a cat that was about 8 or 9 months old when we first got married. She and Baby fought a lot.

I think Baby will be less threatened by a kitten than a cat that is a year old or older.

So, I am looking for young cats that Baby might take under her wing, rather push them out of her territory.

Wen

PayItForward
01-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by weniki30
I think Baby will be less threatened by a kitten than a cat that is a year old or older.

So, I am looking for young cats that Baby might take under her wing, rather push them out of her territory.

IMO it was harder to introduce the kittens to my house than the older cats.

Personality is more important than age to ensure good friends.

Also a proper introduction...that means placing new cats in an spare room with food, water, litter tray and toys.
Then when they are settled which for some cats will be days and for others weeks.

Slowly swap scents from the spare room to the rest of the house by swaping items from one area to the other.
Start by swaping toys, then swap soiled litter, swap cats and finally supervised playsessons.

A slow introduction will allow your cat to slowly adjust to the new cats/kittens.

As you are not set on a tiny kitten and cats are kittens up to 2 years.

I would look for a kitten between 9 months and a year old, as many unsuitable owners start to give up their kittens at this age.

All the best

jenluckenbach
01-18-2004, 05:39 AM
Welcome to pet talk.
I am glad you stated your reason for wanting young kittens because now I can advise you that this is not always right. Young kittens will be pestery to an old cat. If you DO get 2 kittens, they will have each other, and that is good, because the senior cat will more than likely NOT want to play as vigorously as a kitten.
I work with a rescue group and if you would have come to us my advise to you would be an adult who has a calm personality. One that will not challance her as alpha but will simply accept her as boss and therefore more easily becoming the friend she needs.
JMO

jenluckenbach
01-18-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by weniki30
We have a 14 year old Himalayan

Wen
p.s.
This is highly unlikely. (I know it sounds like a good idea, I used to think this too). It is just that I have seen with my own eyes over many years that this is NOT the case.

I am not trying to force you to NOT get kittens, I know how irresistable they can be, but for your reasons stated I felt the need to tell you about my experience.

rosethecopycat
01-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Siameserescue.org

has a Texas center.

Check out their site.

I'm with the Virginia center.

They can transport cats from other states, but with kittens, try and stay with the center closest to your location, because they limit how far small kittens can travel. Each center has its own policies on that.

Good Luck.

Rose

guster girl
01-27-2004, 08:40 PM
So, how is your search for kittens going? Have you found two that you like? I'm just surfing through pet talk, and, thought I'd ask how things were going! I know when my old cat, Dusty, was around other cats, he did not get along with any cats that were a year old or older. He only got along with little kittens. So, I see where you're coming from.

weniki30
01-28-2004, 05:42 PM
We are currently fostering two kittens. I have posted pics of them on other threads.

I will be posting more tonight.

They are the cutest couple. One black shorthaired boy. One white with grey tips shorthaired girl.

They have been sick, URI. They are just now starting to get better. They were running wild last night for the first time in two weeks.

My older cat is ok with their scent now. But still hisses everytime she sees them. I will not let them actually come into contact with one another until they are all over their colds and other ailments.
Hopefully that will be this weekend.

I understand about Dusty not getting along with older cats.
Baby has never really liked any other animals. Kittens or not. She tolerated the kitten my husbands roommate had several years ago. So, I am hoping the kittens will at least not be more stress for her. They are getting big fast though. I had hoped to have small kittens to place with Baby. So she would try to mother them. But these kittens are going to be almost 5 months old before they are ready for society.

Thanks for asking!

pit chic
02-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Weniki,

You mentioned earlier in your thread that you were checking the SPCA regularly for a Siamese or Himalayan. Did you try Harris County Animal Control? They usually have some kind of Siamese or Himalayans in their shelter. A lot of time they are adults, but they get in entire litters of kittens at once. You can see all of their animals on www.countypets.com when you go to this site click on "look for lost pets" then "see our shelter animals" and that will give you a bigger list of animals to look at. They have also been doing adoptions every weekend at the Willowbrook Petsmart 1960 @ 249.