PDA

View Full Version : More advice needed

moosmom
09-08-2003, 08:58 PM
There are 4 feral kittens at the shelter, about 10-12 weeks old that need socializing. Unfortunately, I can only work with them on the weekends because the shelter closes at 5 pm Monday throgh Friday.

My question is...should I take them all home with me and keep them in a cage in my spare room and work with them every night when I get home or just work with them on the weekends?

The way I figure it, the more time I spent with them and handle them, the faster they will become socialized and ready for furrrever homes.

What do you guys think????

Fuzzy317
09-08-2003, 09:22 PM
If you can handle them at home, bringing them home will quicken their socialization. Keep in mind their being there, may bring up both good and bad emotions in your other pets.

My fiancee used to foster cats, but she got too attached to let some go.

sqwelch
09-09-2003, 08:54 AM
I'm no expert but I think bringing them home would be better as you could dedicate more spare time to them and they would be also be getting used to being in a home at the same time !!
:)
Good luck !!!!!

Randi
09-09-2003, 10:48 AM
I think it's a good idea to bring them home to socialize, unless the cage is very small. I bet they're active and want to run around a bit. Will it be possible to let them out in one room now and again for some exercise? Or that was perhaps the idea? Then, do it! :) Enjoy! :D

kimlovescats
09-09-2003, 05:58 PM
I just don't see how only weekend contact could possibly be enough... unless there are others at the shelter doing it during the week. So... you know my answer... bring them home! ;)

moosmom
09-20-2003, 12:23 PM
Believe it or not, they weren't that feral because I went to the shelter last Saturday and they were all adopted out!!!

On a sad note, the one feral cat I was working with, a beautiful silver gray maine coon kitten, had to be euthanized because she had Feline Leukemia. I found out about it when I went to pick up a trap on Monday :(