PDA

View Full Version : I get to foster some kittens!!! (And...story of my first TNR stakeout)

NoahsMommy
07-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Whew....it sure was fun last night. I swear, Richard's location thing is SO right, Californian's are quite easily amused. ;)

GOAL: catch two (darkish colored) kittens and mama cat (two kittens were caught the night before)

I met Carol (the woman we got Hermoine from and helped me try and trap the work cat, Gracie) at 9:00 behind a strip mall, up against a freeway. (WHY do they like it there??) At about 10:15 we both swore we heard a trap and lots of movement in the bushes. About five minutes later, out comes a tortie kitten to get some water from the gutter. ( :( ) We stayed in the car and watched while tortie proceded to lay down on some concrete and relax! We waited 30 minutes and she was still there, so we used the light of our flashlight to pursuade her to go towards the food filled traps.

We went and checked the traps and NOTHING!!! :(

We decided to do a dumpster run...driving around, checking the area for "kitty eyes" with our flashlight. Guess what we found??
A white/orange kitten frolicing behind the Target store! Carol was upset cause the area used to be a place people would just dump their cats (WHY???? I can't imagine a more horrible place for cats to live) and was worried it was starting again...that there were more than just ONE mama cat.

Anyway, we drove back and resumed our watch. Saw ANOTHER white kitten on our end of the parking lot, chasing a fly or something. We tried to use our flashlight trick and she went the opposite way.

At about 12:30 we checked the traps and found....a TOM!!! He was gorgeous!! He's an orangie with the greenest eyes I've seen. I KNEW he wasn't a total feral by the pleading meow he gave us. Long story short, he got fixed today and is going to PetCo on Sunday to see if he can be adopted. Carol said he was really sweet this morning! :)

Now...the fostering.

The kittens she found need to be socialized and I'm going to do it. I know they are older than Hermie (at least I think so), so I think they'll be OK. We'll be using our outdoor enclosure...so our babies wont have any outdoor play time for a bit. But, it'll be OK.

They get fixed on Wednesday as well as all their tests and shots. So I assume I'll get them on Thursday morning. :)

We go back to our stake out post on Sunday night to catch more. Wish us luck! :)

jenluckenbach
07-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Fostering kittens is really rewarding. (But heartbreaking as well when they move on)
Good job, and have fun.:D

slick
07-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Good job! Sounds like a beautiful TOM! Hope he gets adopted soon.

NoahsMommy
07-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Well...

When we went back on Sunday, there were NO cats to be seen. We were there from 9:00 pm to 1:30 am. :(

I wont be fostering after all, darn it! Turns out, one of the kittens is totally friendly and will find a home quickly. The other is coming around slowly, and Carol found someone (actually, the person who initially told us about all these cats) wants to take her home and try.

Another person has Buddy, the tom, tonight for a trial run. :)

Its very good news. I'm just a little sad I didn't get to foster any. I'm here and have room in the enclosure...

jenluckenbach
07-17-2003, 04:56 AM
Hang in there. My first foster cat did not work out, she went elsewhere. And then the next set of kittens could not get trapped. But they ALWAYS need foster homes, so your turn (like mine) will come. But I know how sad it is when you are SOOOO excited.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-17-2003, 06:05 AM
AWWWW

Kelly.... you are doing such a good job. And so lucky .... Eric would never let me foster any cats.:( You are doing such a good service to the kitties out there. I hate to see them wandering around dumpsters and places with traffic. It is so sad!:(

HayleyRosie
07-17-2003, 06:29 AM
Its great to hear they will all be getting homes soon.

I'm sure you will get another chance to foster. I think it is wonderful that you are willing to do that.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-17-2003, 09:56 AM
Wow, I missed this one completely! Congratulations on your trapping succes and it's so good to hear the tom might be in his furrever home. I just don't understand, either, how people can leave their cats to a life of dumpster living, especially near busy roads and highways. :mad:

And don't worry about not being able to foster....yet. Like Jen says, your turn will come when you're most needed. :)

PayItForward
07-17-2003, 11:13 AM
How did I miss this post !?!

What will be will be. You'll foster the cats/kittens that you were meant to foster. :D

What happened about the Meezer kitten ?

Lorraine
07-17-2003, 07:59 PM
That is great that you have decided to do such a wonderful thing,
fostering homeless kitties!:) I agree that when it is the right time, you also will get your kitty's. Good luck to you!:D
I am happy however, that the others that have been trapped, are now on their way to permanet homes!

NoahsMommy
07-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
What happened about the Meezer kitten ?
I haven't been to the shelter since last Monday, I think I was annoyed more than I thought. :(

I bet she's in her new home...with the woman who didn't follow rules. I can only hope she's loved for her personality, not just her beauty. Things are meant to happen anyway, I don't think it would have worked out anyway. Oh well. :)

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :)

kimlovescats
07-18-2003, 05:36 PM
Great job!!! It's wonderful for you to offer your Enclosure for fostering, just be careful you don't bring in any illness and start an epidemic like I did!!! :rolleyes:

:)