PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Story From The Point of View of a Dog

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-21-2001, 05:49 AM
From Petwaremers. I thought you guys would enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------

GOOD SMELLS

Boy, does it smell good around here!
Hi! My name is Teddy and it is Thanksgiving time in our house. The humans are happy and smiling, and so am I!

I am a rescued dog. Actually, I thought I was just a Keeshond. Us long-haired dogs hardly ever get 'dopted, cause folks think we shed too much. I got taken to the Pound Place when my old owner lost his home. I
try not to think about those old times -- they were not the "good ole days"
that humans talk about. I had to be in a cage at the Pound Place with all these other rude, noisy dogs. They barked or snarled when the humans came.

As it was, I was not a little puppy like some of the others -- I was all grown up so I didn't think anyone would look at me at all. We were all so scared. I didn't think I'd ever be 'dopted.

A lady came and looked at me and my card and called me by my name. I felt shy but I came up to her and she told me how pretty I was. I came and licked her hand. Another man was checking out the other dogs and she left
to talk to him. Oh, well, I thought, and I went back and sat down. I was SO sad!

The lady came back with the man and their two human pups and my nice volunteer lady, Carol. They took me out and we went to a green field. I ran and jumped and frolicked with the human pups. I laid on my back with
my legs in the air to show the humans they could scratch my tummy whenever
they wanted. Miss Carol said, "Here's your dog!"

Everyone smiled -- even me! The lady had wet eyes. She does that a lot I found out.

We got in a moving cage, called a car, and we stopped and got food and bowls and a bed and toys and a blanket and a walking string and a collar and a yard chain and a brush and all kinds of cool stuff and it was all for me! No one else's!

I also had to go to the vet place and I was afraid I would have to go back to the Pound Place, 'cause they searched and poked and looked in every opening I had. Would I have whatever they were looking for? Anyway, it
was OK. I got some shots and a bath and a shiny tag. There were more smiles and away we went to my new home.

I was nervous at first, 'cause the lady did not ever have a dog before and she did not like it when I did doggy things. I growled at her oldest pup 'cause he was afraid of me (not anymore 'cause I lick his toes and he
giggles). I marked the dining room to let everyone know it was one of my favorite places, but she didn't understand that it was so everyone could smell me as well as all that great food.

I heard the word "jealous" a lot when that black Kat sat on lady's lap. Blackie (not her real name - she'd get mad at me if I said it was Oreo) swatted at me once, so I steer clear of her. However, I knew lady
loved me when she stuck up for me with that ole black cat and didn't allow her to hurt me.

Speaking of Kats, they are very spoiled. hey get to do their business in a box in the house and the man has to scoop it all out everyday. They don't have to go out in the rain and snow and cold. They try to sneak and eat my food, when they have their own perfectly great food -- I know 'cause I've eaten, er, uh, smelled it.

Anyway, this is Thanksgiving and I am thankful for many things -- my romps in the yard with the human pups, where there is grass or snow to nibble on, toys and daily playtime with my family, my own place and bed to protect me from thunderstorms, my own Halloween costume (except they make me wear it and take pictures -- how embarrassing!) I have my own Christmas stocking and I've watched Santa fill it, too!

I try to show how grateful I am by doing stuff like cleaning the meat pans (lady just smiles and pats me) and helping my people get their exercise and meet new people. My owners talk of church and soup kitchens
and go to those places.

I wish for all canines around the world a warm house, tasty food, a cozy bed, a loving pat, a snuggle, good smells, and happy playtime.

Now about those meat pans...

lbaker
11-21-2001, 06:25 AM
heartwarming and makes me feel good about finally getting back to cooking Thanksgiving dinner again :)It was too emotional for me last year, my husband had died exactly one year before :( :( and it didn't occur to me my dogs would miss it as much as I did :D Thanks Souraya :)
laurie

Golden Smiles
11-21-2001, 07:21 AM
:D Awww, that was so nice. I guess it's okay to give out some scraps right?? LOL Thanks for sharing!

mugsy
11-21-2001, 07:23 AM
Laurie, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, my sympathies...obviously a little late. My thoughts will be with you this Thanksgiving, and your pooches will appreciate the holiday too. Enjoy each other.

11-21-2001, 08:36 AM
That is a great story. I sure didn't want to get teary eyed today but couldn't help it. I love reading things from the dog's perspectives.

Laurie, I too am very sorry about your husband. Thanksgiving was my dad's favorite holiday and I lost him 7 years ago. My mom was a widow at 40. So, this time of year is not easy so I completely understand. Take care and best wishes to you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

RachelJ
11-21-2001, 08:56 AM
I get the Petwarmers stories emailed to me and when I read this one I thought to myself, this person should join us at Pet Talk, she is definitely one of us. :)

Laurie, I too am so sorry for your loss. Please know that you have friends here who will be thinking of you as you try to re-establish the joy of the Thanksgiving tradition. God bless you.

sammi
11-21-2001, 09:07 AM
Thank you for sharing that story! Happy Thanksgiving to you.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-21-2001, 10:41 AM
That was a heartwarming story, now it makes me wish I made Thanksgiving dinner one more time, I hate leaving Perry and Daisy even if it is for only a couple of hours.
Laurie, I am also sorry for your loss, I know it must be difficult during the holidays. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.
Jackie

Daisy's Mom
11-21-2001, 08:33 PM
What a great story! Thanks for sharing it!

lbaker
11-21-2001, 08:46 PM
Well Dog bless and thank ya'll I guess I'll be OK but right now I just need to read what the rest of you guy's are saying. I'm gonna hafta be off for awhile because my eyes are leakin and my husband would have loved ya' as much as I do
laurie
jackie, i'll be in touch