PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on getting new cat in a household where there's another cat

CameozMom
06-20-2003, 06:24 PM
Hey guys...I was just checking out video that Tubby & Peanut's Mom had of Eduardo. Cameo did the weirdest thing...she was laying on my bed, and when she heard the sound of Eduardo meowing, she jolted up and started meowing herself...not in a "territorial" kind of way...just in a curious kind of way. She kept meowing when I played the clip over and over, just so she could hear the meow. Her eyes got big and her ears stood up...but she didn't hiss...it was just like she was listening. Does this mean that she might accept another cat? I want to get one soo soo bad...but I am afraid that she won't like it. Do you guys have any help you could give me on if this is an indication that she might accept another cat? And if so, what would be the best way to introduce another cat to her, without making it seem like I am getting a "replacement" instead of a companion?

Thanks guys!
Susie

L. Wayne
06-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Cameozmom; Getting another furkid to add to the one you already have can be a "hit and miss" affair. Most shelters understand this and if you adopt a pet that is incompatible with yours, they will usually, or should, take it back in exchange for another. Before taking any pet from a shelter, be sure to check this factor with the keepers.

There are ways to determine how affable a new furkid can be with yours. First, determine how friendly your already-cat is with people outside of your household. When you pick her up, does she relax or become tense with fear.

This same "exam" can be applied to a shelter animal. First, pick her up out of her cage. See how friendly she is with you, If she begins to meow and tenses up, and becomes fearful, best leave her alone. Be careful of any cat who cowers in her cage's corner, or is in any way un-expressive. Remembering one cat at our local shelter who, I thought, was extra nice, but was in fact terrified at the other cats in the adjacent cages. The next thing I knew is that I was scratched up and bleeding on my head and hand! Next, caress her paws. This is a very important step. If she does not like to have her paws touched, she may not get along with you or your already-cat. Finally, walk her by the other cages of cats, and watch her reaction. If she becomes fearful, tense, and begins to growl, then I would not take her. Lately I am coming to the conclusion that cats who have a dark "eye-liner" around their eyes is a desirable trait. Generally, I am beginning to believe that this is an indication of a playful and affectionate cat. You may want to verify this idea with your own experiences.

These are just some thoughts. Whenever I review a pet for additon to my menagerie, this is the "exam" that I give the prospective furkid. So far, it hasn't failed me in choosing a compatible pet.

Always be on the lookout for a furkid that demands to come home with you. What they do is begin to meow, rub against the cage bars, and especially when they try to grab you with their paws as you walk by. This is one of the signs that I use to determine if a cat would be compatible with me. Sometimes THEY make the choice. :) Puma, Midnight, and Solstice all reacted toward me this way when I went by their cage. So far, I have absolutely no regrets about adopting any of them.

When you bring home your new furkid, keep her/him in the pet carrier for about an hour in order to see how your already-cat reacts. After running mine through the "exam", generally I can let them out side into the room with my other cats within an hour, and they may hiss at each other, aside from an actual attack-fight, they should be getting along before a week is up, but generally they begin to melt into the pride very quickly.

rosethecopycat
06-20-2003, 09:15 PM
When you find your newcomer, ask if you ca brush it. Collect the fur and take it to your cat. Let the cat smell it. If they react with curiosity, rub on it drool on it, I think it's a good sign. Be careful if they hiss or spit or go crazy over it.

Then follow all the things that Wayne said.

When you've got your newbie, do an 10 -14 day isolation. (no kidding)
For health sake as well as getting them accustomed to their environment, then put your cat away briefly and let the new cat out in the resident's territory. Do this a couple afternoons, you'll know when they are ready to see each other.

If you follow integration procedures, you will most likely have happy cats. There are some though that strictly need to be only cats, and no one can predict this well, only be trial and error.

Good Luck.

Cataholic
06-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Now, I am going to throw all the scientific stuff aside. I have introduced six cats to one another, not counting my mom's cats. I have had very little problem. I do a slow introduction, with the new cat in a room by itself. By the tenth or so day, things are just fine.

I don't pay any attention to how they act, how they cower, what they look like, how they react with their paws, etc. I think animals react to one another than they do to people. So, a cat that cowers at the shelter may be the opposite at home. I have four fairly outgoing cats, two timid girls, one alpha alpha male (he is one of the outgoing ones), and there is a distinct pecking order. For me, it just all worked out.

carole
06-20-2003, 10:19 PM
Im sure Cameo will adapt to a new furkid, my old Ash is the grumpiest cat ever and he has now tolerated two new cats, at separate times, he does not love them by any means, but life is ok, they get by, good luck , hope you can get another one.

Uabassoon
06-20-2003, 11:07 PM
I don't know about the shelters there, but in Tucson we have a no cage shelter. The reason why I really like no cage shelters is because you can see how the cat acts when it is at home. It's hard to see a cats personality when they are in a cage, but when they are running lose in a house with lots of other cats you can really see their personality. That's how I chose Tibby, and the lady at the shelter was very understanding about the fact I had another cat and wanted to make sure they got along. She said if they hated each other we could try another cat because she would rather I bring back the cat if everyone was unhappy then let the new cat live in an unhappy enviornment. Thankfully things worked out great between Tibby and Corkscrew. I kept Tibby separated for a day then let them meet. I had maybe 10 minutes of hissing, but after that they were inseperable.

PayItForward
06-21-2003, 06:14 AM
I think it is very difficult to see the 'true' personality of a cat in a shelter.

Our 4 shelter cats were all VERY friendly at the shelter but once they are home and settled, things sometimes changes.

Milly changed the most from being very timid and friendly to being very confident and aloof (Still likes affection on her terms).

In some ways the changes are good. Treacle spent the first two weeks being very needy and affectionate. Now he feels loved & secure, he is less clingy and behaves more like a happy cat which is much better for him. (And we still get plenty of cuddles)

Bear in mind as you try to introduce the new cat, it can take a while for cats to co-exist and even longer to become friends (Though there can be instant friendships if you are lucky)

The best advice I was given from this site. Let the cats deal with other, don't interfer with fights or hissing (unless blood is spilt) the quicker they decide who is boss the better for them.

All the best with finding your new cat and we want to see photos :D

Gabrielle
07-13-2003, 08:55 AM
hi, I dont think that , that means she will like a knew cat in the house , because my cats benjie and princess do the same think all the time. First benjie will meow really loud and then princess will stop what she is doing and run in the room thats he is in and sometime she will meow too. But that does not mean you cant have a knew cat/kittens, All you need to do if you plan to get a new kitten is just to make your cats get use to the new comer.for example you can put the new baby in side a differnt room and make your cats get use to the smell from under the door , and soon you will be able to put them in the same room.