PDA

View Full Version : Cat names

Layka3000
05-06-2003, 09:27 PM
What is your cats name and what do you think is the most popular cat name?

BastetsMum
05-07-2003, 12:28 AM
Argyle Princess Bastet Desertsands is her show name

Bastet is her real life name

Most popular cat's name - mmmmmmm

In Australia it would have to be *Puss*

Uabassoon
05-07-2003, 12:42 AM
My cats names are Tibby and Corkscrew. I think Kitty is a pretty popular name. That's the name of my mom's cat.

Fuzzy317
05-07-2003, 01:54 AM
When we adopted Jackson his name was Alan Jackson.
Rosie came into our life with her name Rosie O'Grady.
We named Ashton and Twidgit.

Felix, Sylvester, Boots, & Socks are very common names for cats.

jenluckenbach
05-07-2003, 06:06 AM
My cats names are in my signature. As for the most popular name, I don't really know. I do not like to use "popular" names. I always try to use a name that has not been over-used. ;)

neko1
05-07-2003, 06:49 AM
My cats names are Neko, Cookie, Pumpkin and Tama.:)

HayleyRosie
05-07-2003, 07:46 AM
My cat's names are Hayley and Mandy.

Layka3000
05-07-2003, 02:23 PM
My BFF has 4 cats named, Leo, Chloey, Tinsel and Meko. BTW my BFF is actually typing this so the person who owns the cats is actually typing this.

Denyce
05-07-2003, 07:18 PM
My cats names are Deirdre, Brianna, Katiebug and Kaliban. The nicknames are just endless. My mom has two...their names are Tribble and Mickey.

Randy_K
05-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Bubbles, Mango & Peaches. Bubbles was first and named so because she was as small as a bubble which was fine until someone asked why she "had a stripper's name." It then became a theme. "Mango" was influenced by the mango color of his undercoat and the Saturday Night Live character ("You can't have the Mango!"). Then there was Peaches...

die4dawn
05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
My cats name is "Mixie" cause she is all mixed up.

Common name, How about Tigger.

The Cat Factory
05-09-2003, 12:47 AM
My kitty's names are

Peppurr,

Vader (names after Darth Vader),

Mimi (Her real name is Goku, from Dragonball Z),

Twinkles,

Majesty,

Hercules (Maximus is his other name)

Rascal

Felix

Xena

Mischief

Isis

Choas

Zeus

I think Max is a pretty popular name???

todd
05-09-2003, 02:04 AM
my cats name is angel

Layka3000
05-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Those are some really cute names!;)

Prairie Purrs
05-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Kacey, Kiri, Katie, Cricket, Oz, Gatsby, Bob, Hagrid, Lily, and Angelus (a/k/a Angel).

Not sure whether any of those would show up on a popular names list, although someone once told me that Cricket was her favorite cat name.

catland
05-09-2003, 02:59 PM
My gang's names are Sidney, Jan, and Joxer.

My RB kitties include:
Quincy, Gus, Crystal, Lucy, Suds, Who Cat, and Puff.

wolflady
05-09-2003, 03:17 PM
My cats names are Scooter, Marius and Sergei

I think popular cat names include: Sam, Tiger, Tigger

Randy_K
05-09-2003, 04:40 PM
Sometimes I'm surprised at how many cats answer to the name "Cat".

bluekat
05-11-2003, 02:05 PM
My Blueberry is the only cat I have, the others(my grandmother's, but partly mine) are listed in my sig.
As for a most popular name, I don't know.

Felicia's Mom
05-11-2003, 04:13 PM
My cat's names are Felicia and Beau.

RB cats are Inky, Shadow and Cleo (short for Cleophus).

Layka3000
05-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Cute, a lot of cats in my neighborhood have cats named Cleo, Clhoe, or Fluffy, and Angel!~!~!~!~!~!~!:rolleyes:

Desert Arabian
05-14-2003, 09:47 PM
My kitten's name is Sammy, and my Mom's cat is Dudley.

I think Boots, Socks, Garfield, and Felix are some popular names for kitties.

Layka3000
05-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Cutie, I like those names!:D

L. Wayne
05-18-2003, 03:50 AM
Fawn
Amy
Tiger
Tiara
Otis
Happy (Snow Cat)
Chris (tmas cat)
Pepper (bunglebutt)
Blue Czarina
Puma
Mopsy

New Kitten Additions:

Callie
Jumper
Tabbie
Tippee
Sammy
Midnight
Fluffy
Solstice
Summer

IttyBittyKitty
05-19-2003, 06:49 AM
The two who live with Mum are named Milo and Whiskey. We used to name all our cats after beverages. The furrbaby who looks like KAK's storm (a dead ringer) named Twirling lives with my ex-Stepdad. He was named after our racehorse who died during an electrical storm. Finally, my resident furbaby, is named Pixel after Heinlein's cat who could walk through walls.

The most popular names in Australia (after Puss lol Bastet's Mum) would have to be Snowy, Ginger and Fluffy.

The coolest names I know I would have to attribute to my ex-house mate. He had a tubby kitty who he named Minestrone, Mini for short. He had a little skinny boy kitty who he named Maximus. Mini and Maxi! LOL!

Layka3000
05-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Why is Puss so popular in Australia?

Randi
05-22-2003, 01:21 PM
Our cat is called Fister, John started calling him that one day! I think it came from a cartoon (Snoopy).

One popular name is Felix I guess, and also Timmy (in England).

BastetsMum
05-22-2003, 03:37 PM
Puss is popular in Australia because that is how everyone calls their cats home for dinner ...

*Here puss puss puss puss puss* :D

Mercles
06-12-2003, 03:03 PM
My cats are named Quigley, Thomas Gregory,Spot, Benjamin, and Clare. I named all but two. I tend to let the cat be in the house at least a few days, sometimes as long as two weeks, so I can see what their purrsonality is like, and that way I can usually pick a name that suites them. As most of the cats I have lived with came to me as kittens, I have not had any that were already named. As far as common names, Morris, Tiger and any that are color associated, like Snowball for a white cat, or Ebony for a black cat.......

Fluffy'sMom
06-25-2003, 12:12 PM
My kitty is nnamed Fluffy. :)

NoahsMommy
07-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Noah James
Noel Joy
Basil Nathaniel
Olivia Eve (her first name might be popular cause its a "people name")
Micah Jacob
Hermoine Abigail(it might be popular cause of Harry Potter)

We/I don't choose names if they are popular, I like much more unique names. :)

Kristal
07-01-2003, 09:26 PM
I have had alot of cats my cats i had a while back were named Kitty, tom, gizmo, tabby, milo, garfild, L man, tiger, tigger, poooh bear, puss, baby, nickkie, twisler, katie, brandon, and i know there were a lot more. (My cat Gabrielle has had a lot of litters of kittens. She will be fixed July 14th) My babys I have right now are Gabrielle, Demon, and Angel.
I think Tiger, tiger, socks,kitty, tom, and Boots are pretty common names.
~Kristal~

Lorraine
07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
My cats name's are Sammy and Romeo.

Past cats I have had include:
Nutmeg
Bingo
Snowball
Pumpkin
Domino
Fluffy
Socksy
Midnight
Frosty
Zeus
Apollo
Mystic aka "Don Knots" because the poor little boy was a neglected Flame point Himmy who was full of knots! Of course, I prettied him up, and it was truly "mystical" how well he cleaned up!
:D

Layka3000
07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Wow that is alot of cute kitty names!

smokey0807
07-25-2003, 09:47 AM
My kitty's name is SMOKEY!! I LOVE MY CAT!!!

Van10
07-26-2003, 09:01 PM
I named my cat Tux, for obvious reasons. :p
He also goes by the nicknames: Tuxie, Tuxie-boy, Mista' Tux, Inspector Tux (b/c he insists on examining every grocery/gym/school bag brought into our apartment :cool: ), King Tux and last but not least, Buddy Tux.

I think Kitty (FYI:my sister's cat!) :D, Smokey and Boots are popular cat names in Canada.

Van10 - Meowmy to a Tuxedo kitty

carole
07-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Most of you know my cat's name's Ash and Lexie.

Past kitties:
Sooti 1
Sooti 2
Kelly
Tammy
Susie
Cindy
Astra

In_love_with_cats
07-27-2003, 03:09 PM
I have three cats and there names are Joey, Sabrina and Toby. I wouldn't know what is the popular names for cats. I think mind are pretty popular names. At my shelter where I volunteer, these names are popular. I met alot of cats that had the name Joey and Sabrina.

Layka3000
07-28-2003, 03:18 PM
Aww those are cute names!

denver83tet
07-29-2003, 12:17 AM
My cats names are Tigger & Starr. I think Tigger is a pretty popular name. I see it a lot.

sheltielover
07-29-2003, 07:56 AM
My kitty's name is Mee Mee. When we got her from the SPCA she was already named that...but we loved the name so we didn't change it!

I kind of think she looks like a Mee Mee anyway, don't you?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/p46c59ca5abe2f25c79c6e14380315514/fb9a0838.jpg

denver83tet
07-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Definitely a Mee Mee which kinda rhymes with cutie! :)

sheltielover
07-29-2003, 02:34 PM
LOL, that's right! :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2003, 12:28 AM
My cats names are Storm, Sunny, Cirrus, and Sky. My RB cats name was Pepper. Common cat names are Tiger, Tigger, Kitty, Fluffy,and Socks. I also found out that Pepper was a common name too. :)

Layka3000
02-20-2004, 06:55 PM
My friend had a cat named Mimi (you can see that it is spelled diofferently). But sadly she got run over by a car and the worst part is that the person fled from the scean... if he would have stayed and helped the cat she would have survived by some chance. And the worst, worst part is that she was carring kittens in side her. I hope that, that person has to live with what he/ she did FOREVER!!!

halliecat
02-21-2004, 12:23 PM
My cat's name is Hallie (short for Halloween Cat).

I have also had:
Blackjack
Dusty
Boots
I think they are pretty common names but they seemed to fit the
cats.

A friend has the following cats:
Tuxedo
Preg (a found cat. yep that was her "condition")
Stinker:)

AvaJoy
02-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
My cats names are in my signature. As for the most popular name, I don't really know. I do not like to use "popular" names. I always try to use a name that has not been over-used. ;)

Same goes for me, too. Sometimes I end up naming one a common name, simply because it is the name that first comes to mind when I see the cat. Or, it is a TNR that I named (I always do because every cat deserves a name) and end up keeping, and also keeping the original name because it seems to fit.

I have always been interested in creative, unusual and imaginative names, and for decades "Schuyler" has been my hands-down favorite. I finally have the exceptional cat upon which I could bestow that name. :)

Issy
02-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this site....all the kitty photo's posted are just wonderful ...well and dogs too, can't forget them

I just thought I'd add my names to the list. Stormy & Breezy, they are 3 yrs old, brother & sis out of same litter, and are wonderful Flame Point Siamese.

We got them when they were 11 wks. old, and I named them Stormy & Breezy, because when he would come into a room, he was like a little stormtrooper...just Mr. Tough Guy. Breezy, would come in like a sweet gentle Breeze. NOW they are all grown up, they both enter like tornado's :)

Issy
02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
See, I am new to this board ...gotta figure out about the photos...besides, I posted the one without their names.

http://home.comcast.net/~stormybreez/sbottomanhugs.jpg

Issy...the scatter brain!

guster girl
03-16-2004, 11:07 AM
My kitten's name is Lock. My RB cat's names are Dusty and Justin, and, Justin's mom's name is Vella. :) I think names like Cleo and Samantha are pretty popular. Names like Fluffy, too. Dusty's a pretty common name. I had a cat named Bootsie once as well.

Mandy10yrs
03-18-2004, 08:17 PM
My kitty's name is Max or Maxxy. What is you're cat's name??????????

artemis
03-19-2004, 05:57 PM
OMG Halliecat, I also have a cat named Hallie (short for Halloween, since she is a tortie). Everyone thinks her name is actually "Halle" after Halle Berry - kind of drives me crazy, but what the heck, my Hallie is just as gorgeous as the other Halle.

I also have a Kitty - very common and unoriginal, I know. But, he was an adult stray we found, and I always felt funny calling him by a name - since I knew he must have had a name already. So, I always just called him Kitty, and it stuck.

My other cat is named Lucky, again very common and unoriginal. But, I found him as a stray in a busy traffic neighborhood, so he is very "Lucky" and it fits him.

Diane

crazyscootercat
03-21-2004, 12:51 AM
I saw an article with the most popular cat and dog names. One of the few names I remember is Buddy. One of my cats came with that name so it's no wonder I remembered. Another name is Frisky.

BrigitteMunich
03-21-2004, 04:15 AM
My cat's names in the breed papers are:
Tora = Dandenong Tora Rhianne
Berry = Ciara's Bahari Marhaba Inshallah
I always forget these names and call them Tora and Berry!

Pizzigatto
04-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Mine is Billie... yaaa, I'm a Billie Holiday fan! :p

The others (strays) are:

Tico (Tom cat in Portuguese)
Maki (umm... sushi) :D
Pitchu
Dolly
Dooby
and Mini

Have no idea which are the most popular names for cats, but "Frisky" did also come to my mind. I used to have a cat named "Snoopy" many years ago... still like that name alot.

chocolatepuppy
04-09-2004, 09:20 PM
My cats names are Sassy and Missy. Sassy I found on the street and she was determined to own me and believe me that name fits her! Missy I got from a friend at three months and her children had already named her Missy so I left it at that as it seems to fit her too.

QueenScoopalot
04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
I tend to pick offbeat names like "Rupert", "Nigel", "Cole", "Aurora"...orange cat names..."Colby", "Julius", "Grady", "Gracie" for greys....etc. BUT someday, I'm going to name some kittens the all time favorites (It will be hard) Smokey, Fluffy, Patches, Tiger, Blacky, Lucky..........:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I'm telling ya'll it'll be hard!

Varga
04-13-2004, 10:10 AM
I tend to choose unusual names for my cats…or the cats tend to be unusual cats who need unusual names, such as Le Homer and Ivar Fressin

Now I only have one cat (and I hope it stays that way). His name was at first Sokrates.. then Leonardo Da Vinci..
But somehow he just wasn’t the philosophical nor artistic type.. So now his name is just Leo.. Leo Scoop..yup..

-Varga

rpcathouse
05-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Well, some how I missed this one don't know how, (must be the fur in my eyes).

I will go down the list from oldest to youngest.
Registered names Call names
Kitwilo Jezabelle R.P. Cathouse Jez
Kitwilo G. Louise R.P. Cathouse Weeze
Pretty Paws Dixie Blaze Dixie
Stacalone's Mason R.P. Cathouse Mas
Stacalone's Chino R.P. Cathouse Chino
CloverLea S. S. Tyler R.P. Cathouse Tyler
Stacalone's Penny Lane Penny
Stacalone's Moses R.P. Cathouse Moses
Stacalone's Rio Grande Rio
Stacalone's Eleanor Rigby Ele`
R.P. Cathouse's Jaxon Jaxon
R.P. Cathouse's Smokey Jo Mokey Mokey Jo
R.P. Cathouse Angel's Baby P.B.
Wrevenik Charlie Parker Charlie
Stacalone's Suzee Q R.P. Cathouse "Q"
R.P. Cathouse Big Red Red
Moosecoon's Sanuye R.P. Cathoue Sanuye
Wrevenik Cathan R.P. Cathouse Catie or Catie bug
Stacalone's River of Dreams Missy Miss

That is it. the most popular call name for a cat is: Here kitty kitty.

This is our newest addition to our breeding program.
Missy Miss

Stella
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid114/pc23daf358bc17f2a40c3e778ea24ce77/f8d1d0ff.jpg

sammy101
05-31-2004, 04:02 PM
My cats name is Bear.
i think the most popualr name has to be like Boots & Socks. i hear those alot!

joanofark
05-31-2004, 04:03 PM
My cats name is Kally.

PJSZOO
06-01-2004, 08:31 PM
All of my cats have first names as well as middle names, and most have "nicknames" also.
here we go:
Oliver Tate McTavish (Ollie, orange man, Lollipop)
Sebastian Montgomery (Schmee)

PJSZOO
06-01-2004, 08:57 PM
All of my cats have first names as well as middle names, and most have "nicknames" also.
here we go:
Oliver Tate McTavish (Ollie, orange man, Lollipop); Tigger Renee (Gee); Tiger Michelle (the queen);Twister Nicole (Cole); Whitey Eulala; Diva Dawn; Jasper Dale (Yappy); Gracie Diana; Whiskers Larue; Spice Romeo; Zoe Charmichael (Schmooey, Owey); Sunshine Elizabeth; Coalie Antoinette Maria (Mimi); K.C. (kitty-cat) Jane; Katie Noel; Minx Mikayla (Stinx); Moe (Mosephine Josephine); Tiffany Camille; Tabitha Rose; Momma Cat; Boo kitty; Batman James (Bratman); Gizmo Gabrielle; Sebastian Montgomery (Schmee); Willow Madeline Grace (Wewow); Bailey Scott Thomas-and then there are many kittens to name as the neighborhood strays have arrived at my house with their babies (and to be spayed-though they don't know it yet) Talk about a full house-we have 22 inside plus the neighborhood strays. And we love them all!!!

princessofjade
06-13-2004, 05:30 PM
:) My only kitty name is Kitana, she named after the warrior princess Kitana in Mortal Combat electronic game.

I think Buffy is a popular kitty name for Arab because my in-law named 2 or 3 of their kitties Buffy.

luvdemabys
06-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Coming in a little late here, but we have done this before so many of you already know. All our Abys have had names from Tolkien (as had our beautiful grey generic cats, Gandalf and Gimli.)
They were/are Arwen Evenstar, Glorfindel ("Glorf"...a great name!)
Thingol, Luthien Tinuviel ("Luthie") all now frolicking at the Rainbow Bridge, and the current crop: Eowyn, Warrior Princess of Rohan (aka "Winkie"); Thane Peregrin Took ("Pippin"), and Legolas ("L'il Guy.) I have noticed Tolkien names on cat name lists, especially Bilbo and Frodo.

csanchezveloso
08-04-2004, 12:14 PM
My little girl is named BIELI
My little boy is named ANTENITA

Bili in Urdu means Cat so i did a little twist with it. Antenita in Spanish means antena (duh) so i felt it matched his ears.. always perked up!

Petluvr013
08-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Mine is SOX (like socks but with an X {Not Like the Red Sox Though})

Jods
08-17-2004, 01:11 PM
HI
My cats name is Pixie my other cat who lives with my parents is named Fifa...
bye...
My grandma has 6 cats they are:
Catcha
lucky
Snowball
Taz
Chip
Hagar
Bye for now Jodie

LaRana
09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
My cat's name is Loki. He's a bengal. Loki is the name of the Norse Mythology god of Mischief - and believe me this cat lives up to his name. He's a cleptomaniac, and he's very naughty and sneaky!

I think the most popular cat name is Socks. After the Clinton's cat name got out there, I think everyone named their white-pawed cat Socks.

groomsy
09-11-2004, 02:21 AM
My Cats name is Mischevous, well his full name, i call him Mischief and his nickname is Stoops, not that he's stupid just because hes funny

lovingisliving76
09-11-2004, 08:57 AM
My cats name is Schatzi, which is German for Sweetheart/baby.

I think a very common name is fluffy, and Mystic.

I attached her picture.

catnip
10-04-2004, 10:56 PM
Twinkie Capone (Orange tabby)
Shermie Le Plumd (DLH White)
Sweet Pea (Tortie)
Tyler Brown (Brown Tabby)
Marvin Buddy love (Tuxedo)

I also foster and love to named my foster cats:

1. Professor Seymor
2. Bella
3. Domino (black and white)
4. Mandrin / Mandy (Orange tabby-Female)
5. Tangelo (Orange tabby-Male)
6. Minnie (Petite cat)
7. Ivan
8. Nigel
9. Mia
7. Count Chocula
8. Baxter
9. Lilly (white female)
10. Magic (black cat)

Hope this helps!

manda_moo87
10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
My cats names are Squeekers (named by previous owners) and Misty.

I used to have a cat named Perksin (RB :() I LOVE that name! :)

bootsysmommy
10-29-2004, 02:44 PM
my kitty's name is boots

probably pretty popular

guster girl
11-02-2004, 04:11 AM
My RB cat's name was Dusty. I was ten when we got him, and, I don't think I picked the name. :) I did, however, name Vella, Justin McCloud, and, Lock. Vella is with my ex husband's family, Justin went to the RB much too early (he was Vella's son), and, Lock is the kitty that lives with my ex boyfriend (Finn and I moved out in May). I like unusual names, as well. As for most popular, I'm not sure!

Chilli
11-02-2004, 09:25 PM
My current cats are Khaith and Melani, though some of my cats that are passed on were: Rum, Sake, and Mourn.

I was expected to get a new kitten in a few weeks, but my friend's (whom I was to get the kitten from) 5 week of cocker puppies got a hold of all 5 kittens (the mother had been hit by a car around 3 days earlier) and they all went to the Rainbow Bridge. I had already met the kittens several times and had gotten attached to them. Anyhow, I had already named my future kitty Monte Carlo, after a 1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo ^_^ I love those things!

And the most popular name around here is either Fluffy, Snowball, or Midnight. I always like to stick with more unusual names (like Khaith :D )

stephanie0122
11-12-2004, 11:15 AM
My beige tabby's name is : TEDDY
My white DSH name is: MISSY
My gray DLH name is: SYDNEY
My himalayan's name is: CHELSEY
My Other whie DSH name is : ELVIS

Becki
11-15-2004, 11:03 PM
We have:
Pork Chop
Velcro
Maggie

JaJa is our bridge kitty.

ShannaPatrick
11-28-2004, 09:27 PM
My cat is named Han

He is a flame point siamese and Han is Siamese/Thai for "audacious" :D

LittleOrangeKitten
12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
I am owned by an orange tabby by the name of Naranj Matata. Naranj is Arabic for orange and matata is Swahili for troublemaker. Believe me, he lives up to his name! LOL

thawks120
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Mine are named ...
Pj
Kiwi
Gizmo
Mongo
Bandit
James
Whiskers (aka Boo Boo)
Ming &
Sammy
:p

BigCharles
12-28-2004, 04:54 PM
The boy cat is Lamoni.
http://www.charleskincaid.com/lamoni2.jpg

The name comes from Lamoni the king from scripture as he was an honest ruler. Actually Cindy had a cat with similar coloring when she lived in Lamoni, Iowa. The town got it's name from the king so I'm just "cutting out the middle man".

Fifi is our girl cat
http://www.charleskincaid.com/fifi.jpg

She was given to us by a former co-worker. She had so many disruptions in her life that we just did not have the heart to change her name.

A friend had 5 cats in the house: Sunny, Oscar, Felix, Cinnamon (RB), and Lady. Lady is actually Lady Le Phew due to the fact that she is a tux with a whit stripe right down the back. :eek:

Popular: OK hold on for this one. I'm told that practically all of the narcotics users and dealers have a cat named S*** Head :rolleyes: But then, what would you expect?

No matter what the name, they are all cute and I want to pet them all.

LilFireTiger
01-02-2005, 10:27 AM
Oreo is kinda of popular(I have a cat named Oreo)

catnapper
01-02-2005, 10:45 AM
How'd I never reply to this thread?

I have Allen, Pouncer, Harry and Abby. I know Pouncer isn't exactly common, but there are several variations on Abby.

Mad Mags Moo
01-06-2005, 05:43 AM
My puss cats are:
Bubble...quite a shy wee female dark tortie but she has her moments of tortie madness!
Squeak: Rather tubby ginger female but a very loveable and friendly cat...unless she is coming out in sympathy with me on PMT mode!!!

Common names for cats???
Harry, Pusscat, Jess and Shadow i think....I work in a cattery and I have a few same name cats!

lynnestankard
01-06-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi Mags and Welcome to Pet Talk!!

My cats are - Bagel, Ketchum and Dan.

catnapper
01-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Mad Mags Moo

Common names for cats???
Harry, Pusscat, Jess and Shadow i think....I work in a cattery and I have a few same name cats!
Oh no! My Harry has a common name! :eek: Maybe over in England its common because its the only Harry I knoiw of in the area.

By the way... WELCOME Mags! You'll love it here!

Cosmicat
01-31-2005, 04:47 PM
My Cats Name is Katie and her nick names are cheeks, monkey, cheeky monkey, monk, miss kate, baby kate, and Katie Doll. She does respond to all those names. lol

I think the most common name would be Kitty.

lisalee
02-06-2005, 09:15 PM
My boy is named Sash. I don't believe it's too common. My rainbow bridge kitties were named, Kit Blackie and Lucki which are all pretty popular names. :)

Jayna78
02-08-2005, 04:47 AM
We named 2 of our 4 cats.

In late October 2002, when we adopted our first, Bailey, he was a 4-6-week-old stray (1.5 lbs and sickly, but beautiful!), and we couldn't figure out a name for him - we didn't know he was a he at first, but we assumed he was. I was looking at our Bailey's Irish Cream collector's tin, and thought Bailey would be a good name, and it stuck. His middle name is Copland (after Aaron Copland, the composer), since my husband and I are both musicians.

We adopted our second cat while still living in Louisiana - May 1, 2003 - she was a feisty, sweet, 5-month-old tabby girl who we thought would complement our Bailey nicely. The rescue group who had her at PetSmart had already named her - Leila. We thought that was cute, and we gave her the middle name Martini, in keeping with the musical/alcoholic naming scheme (Leila isn't actually the same spelling, but we thought the musical reference could be Eric Clapton's "Layla," which is a great song. She turned out to be quite the crazy girl, but also quite loving - she loves to play, fight, chase, etc., but then also loves to be petted and loved on her own terms and snuggle with us at night.

Our 3rd cat came to our attention in April 2004 in St. Louis, MO. We were thinking we might eventually adopt a 3rd and 4th, but we weren't sure when or where. We were at PetSmart, and this wonderful, big, orange tabby boy (1-2 years old) was out of the cages in the cat room, roaming around, making great noises and rubbing against us. His name was Red Baron at the time, b/c of his reddish orange fur, but we changed it to Leo, b/c we thought it was cute. We had to adopt him - he sat on our laps at our first meeting and was sweet the couple of times we visited after that. We didn't quite make his middle name official, but his full name is something to the extent of Leopold Garfield or Leopold Garfield Anheuser (for St. Louis - Anheuser-Busch). He looks a lot like Garfield from the 2004 movie.

Our 4th cat came along sooner than expected - Leo was just starting to get used to his siblings and vice versa (Leila is the bully/queen in the house - she shows everyone who's boss), when we were at PetSmart and met the most beautiful little snowshoe mix baby girl (they estimated her at 1 year at the time, but I'm still not sure - she's so small and sweet, she's always going to look young to me) - this was late June 2004. Her name was Claudia and she started purring as soon as we laid eyes on her. We were talking to the rescue group coordinator, who I started communicating with after adopting Leo from them, and they were putting Claudia in the adoption area that day - she was so beautiful and friendly, we couldn't pass her up - we visited her that week one more time and then the next time was the time we took her home - we decided that if she had been there the next weekend, someone would've gotten to her before us, so we're lucky we saw her when we did. She's just wonderful - playful, cuddly, purrs louder than any kitty - she's also the most loyal thing, following us around the house, etc. Ironically, we haven't settled on a middle name for her either - like Leo - they all end up having many nicknames, so it doesn't seem to matter that much what the official name is. I keep calling her "Claudia Jean" for Allison Janney's character, "CJ Craig" on The West Wing, but I have also called her "Claudia Jane" and Smiley before. They all have countless names.

I'm rather attached to the cats my husband and I have, as you can see. In fall of 2003, my mom and dad were adopted by a beautiful Birman/Himalayan stray that came to my dad's auto dealership/shop - he was tiny and sickly at the time, but he came to the right place. They called him Smoky b/c of his grey paws and face (he's a polydactyl, too, which is cute and unusual). In December 2004, I adopted a 3rd cat from the same place Leo & Claudia came from - a beauty of a girl - unusual looking - probably a strange mix of shorthair breeds - white with a little bit of black and tall ears - her name is Belle, and she's close to Smoky's age - they're both about a year and a half or so. I adopted this cat as a X'mas present to my mom, who wanted a friend for Smoky. Mom & Dad now say that the name the rescue group gave her - Belle - is perfect b/c she runs into the room anytime any toy with a Belle is lifted or moved! :) It's kind of amazing how the names work out, and how the cats eventually do seem to sort of respond to or know their names (in my experience, anyway).

=^..^=

rockstarcharmer
02-10-2005, 05:48 PM
I have two inside girl cats names Lola and Toni. I also feed a stray outside cat. He won't let me near him but will let me watch him through the glass of my front door. He looks sick so I named him Gunner after the famous hollywood trainer so maybe the healthy name would make him healthy.

lildemon72
02-14-2005, 01:18 PM
I named all of mine after their personalities.

Goobie - he is such a goober

Georgie - full name curious george

Mamma Cat - that's what she is

Bartox - after the bat on Annastasia

Satan - full name Son of Satan (his brothers were "The Devil Himself, and Hell's Spawn)

No I am not anti christ or anything, I just name them by personalities when they are little, and the last three were Hell on four paws. So the names stuck.

Juniors Mom
02-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow. Looking over the pages of posts on this subject brought back memories of the many many cats I have had the pleasure of being owned by over the years.

Boots (first family cat, that I ever recall)
Simon ( was actually a girl)
Amber
Alpha Centari ( a White Persian I rescued from a horrible fate , of being tied to the underworkings of a car)
Cosmo
Moon Unit (reference to Frank Zappa's daughter)
Carrie (yes, I am a Stephen King fan)
Cujo ( so named because she loved to help me do dishes and was forever coming up covered in suds)
Oreo ( a foster care situation while he was healing)
Shadow ( another foster Child)
Pip and Squeak ( two little ones, brother and sister, that I took in as a Foster care situation , while they gained needed weight and much needed vet visits. )
Gizmo
Salem
Junior

bonnie52
02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I have two cats- a 2yr. old manx named Minxie & a domestic short hair thats amber colored with darker smudges through it named Zoe- I'm not sure what the most popular names are but I really like my cats names!!!! :p

SANDY FROST
02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Layka3000
What is your cats name and what do you think is the most popular cat name?
Cats Name -Tigger
Most popular is Tigger.
Sandy Frost

hootchlid
03-07-2005, 02:17 AM
Hank and Polly!
look at my sig,
MY favorite name is what fits for the kitty!

not what we name him/her

hank below is Harley Hank H... lastnight
Triple H
He answers only to Hank tried harley for 2 weeks he just wouldnt come,soon as i said hank come here he came a running and been by my side ever since

bonnie52
03-07-2005, 04:56 PM
Hank does seem to fit him allthough I think Walker is cool he looks very laid back- but where did the name Carl come from?My Manx cats name is Minxie( & she is a minx!!) LOL I have a short haired amber colored cat with matching eyes named Zoe --she is a definite cuddler!