PDA

View Full Version : New Kitty Suggestions?!?

cocker_luva
04-07-2003, 03:49 PM
I have decided to get a kitty or 2 within the next 5 years. Does anyone have any suggestions what cat breeds I should consider getting? I'm thinking maybe the Australian (Spotted) Mist.

BastetsMum
04-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Get a Rescue Kitty!

Or if you wnat to go for a breed thats great an ABY!

The Australian Mist (there is another colour variation so its no longer just spotted) are really lovely cats.

For me personally, I can't go past the aby though :D

kimlovescats
04-07-2003, 04:20 PM
All of my kitties are rescues.... but if I were to purchase a purebred, it would be a Maine Coon or an Aby!

jenluckenbach
04-07-2003, 05:48 PM
rescue an unwanted kitty and your life will be enriched for it.

bluekat
04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
I agree, get a rescue cat! Mine are all Persians- they're my favourite breed:D If you like longhaired cats, you should get a Persian. They are said to be lap cats;) :rolleyes: not mine though.....well, sometimes. Like the others said, Abys are great too. I like Abys, I think they're beautiful.

NoahsMommy
04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
You can actually rescue most breeds through breed specific rescues.

I love our new Aby....but all our other cats are amazing as well. I think that your decision should be based on personality...

When you are ready for a cat, go to a shelter and sit with the cats. You'll know which to take home.

The same goes if you are looking for a pure bred cat. Sit and play with them. :)

Prairie Purrs
04-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

When you are ready for a cat, go to a shelter and sit with the cats. You'll know which to take home.

I'll second that! :) When I had some kittens who needed permanent homes, a friend of mine decided to take one. She came over to visit--within a few minutes Riley had jumped into her lap, and there he stayed until she was ready to leave! Needless to say, she adopted Riley, and he absolutely adores her. :D

carole
04-07-2003, 09:55 PM
yes go to a shelter for a moggie, there are so many cute ones out there, but if you really want a pedigree the burmese are lovely, the main coone, munchkin, russian blue, turkish van, i could go on and on love them all

neko1
04-08-2003, 05:29 AM
I agree with everyone else, either get a shelter cat:) or an Aby:D

Barbara
04-08-2003, 08:09 AM
The people here who have been adopted by an Aby are all addicts now. However I must say most people who come in my home prefer Tigris because he's less nervous than Filou. Abys want lots of attention and can have interesting sounds if they don't get it and they are not always close to other cats.
So don't let fool yourself by their innocent and sweet faces.
They are dominant kitties:D :D :D

cocker_luva
04-08-2003, 03:14 PM
To bluekat, I also love Persians, mostly the newer ones who's faces aren't to smushed in, but I love them all. The only cat I had was half Persian and half Siamese, he was a longhaired grey tabby. SOOOOO beautiful!!

BastetsMum
04-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Aby's dominant!!!!

Oh wait ... Bastet is making that funny mrrrrrp sound and scratching the carpet ... better check her food ... hang on ...

ScantyNebula
04-10-2003, 08:46 AM
ROFL @ BastetsMum! mrrrrrp sound? You mean the one where they sound like a ferret or something? Toby makes a funny sound like that all the time ...

04-10-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

exactly my opinion! we did this with Maya, and look what a lovely sweet cat she is now!!!

cocker_luva
04-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Does anyone have any other suggestions other then Abys? I would like a variety of options to look at. Thanx

Prairie Purrs
04-10-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by cocker_luva
Does anyone have any other suggestions other then Abys? I would like a variety of options to look at. Thanx

Sorry, but the only options I've ever considered are the ones available at the shelter or the ones who showed up at my house in need of a home. And who knows what breed they are (except for Bob--pretty sure he's a Maine Coon mix).

You may want to search for breed information on the Internet or in the library and talk to local breeders.

neko1
04-10-2003, 06:52 PM
Hey don't diss the abys, they're wonderful cats!!!

BastetsMum
04-10-2003, 10:07 PM
YAH! Aby's ROCK!

But if you want another suggestion I would reccommend that you sit down and decide what you want in a cat. Do you want a lap cat or a cat with spunk or a cat with blue eyes or green eyes - colour - pattern or whole?

Or you could just walk int oa shelter and let kitty choose you!

Lots of other people here have beautiful rescue cats and beautiful purebreds as well. But to ask what everyone thinks - well of course we are all a little biased.

:D :D :D

PayItForward
04-11-2003, 04:58 AM
Go for a rescue cat. We adopted both of ours from a shelter (or maybe they adopted us !!!)

Some shelters do have pure breeds. Noah'sMommy got an Aby at hers.

I definately think your local shelter is worth a look.

Maybe you'll end of with two cats:D

cocker_luva
04-11-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't diss any animal. I just like to research an animal before I bring it home with me. I would hate for the animal to not be the right one for my homestyle and then have to give it away for a mistake that I could have prevented.

The Cat Factory
04-11-2003, 05:01 PM
I have 3 Snowshoes's and they are very friendly cats. And Bengals are nice, too :)

carole
04-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Well there is nothing wrong with you deciding on a bred, its good to take your time and not make a mistake,as u mentioned,i am sure u will find the right kitty be it a purebreed or rescue kitty, they are all beautiful . good luck

cocker_luva
04-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Thank you carole, the 7 breeds I'm looking at are

-australian mist
-snowshoe
-somali
-oriental longhair
-nebelung
-javanese
-singapura
any opinions on those breeds?

carole
04-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Sorry u are asking the wrong person here, i have not heard of seen some of those breeds in nz.
Personally i like the burmese, the turkish van, the munchkin, and the devon rex, but only from what i have read, oh and the Russian blue and main coone, but i have never had a pedigree, so cant help u much, but i am certain u will make the right choice, once again good luck

BastetsMum
04-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Hi CockaLuvr,

The Somali is the long haired version of the Abysinnian. They have the same temperament and everything. They are a high maintenance cat since you have to brush their fur on a daily basis. Definately a single owner cat but loves other cats.

The Australian Mist is a recent breed recognised by the international community. It is a predominantly *cute* cat. A lap cat. They are fairly rare still and will cost you a small fortune plus at present they are asking female cats not to be neutered to help perpuate the breed. They are extremely gentle. Great family cats. Highly Tolerant.

The snowshoes are a cross between a siamese and a american shorthair. They have the temperament of both. So its dependent on the family history of the cat. These cats *in their pure form* are rare as well. Highly demanding single person cats but will tolerate other cats.

The Singapura are affectionate one owner cats and will tolerate other people. They are also a rare breed. Seldom found outside of the United States. There is controvosy about how the Singapura came about.

Oriental longhairs are single person and single cat only. They are extremely demanding.

The nebelung is a long haired form of the russian blue. But unlike the shorthaired blue it is lazy *retiring* and very affectionate. Good with families.

I can't find any information on the Javanese but I do have some infromation on the Balinese variety.

Hope this helps.

bluekat
04-12-2003, 09:54 AM
the Singapura is a very small cat, and also very rare. I want one of those, but they're very hard to find. They are friendly, and make excellent pets. But they do take some time to adjust to new homes and owners.
the Snowshoe is also a rare breed. They are a shorthaired Birman type i think. I don't know much about them.
the Somali is a longhaired Aby. I love Somalis, it is a gentle and amiable breed. They do need occasional grooming too.
the Nebelung is like a longhaired Russian Blue, by its appearance. Its body is long, lithe, and slender with a fluffy tail. They are said to be robust and vigorous, needing only moderate grooming.
the Javanese is like the Balinese. It does not like being left alone. It has the same body type, coat and disposition as the Balinese.

That's all the information I know, hope it helps. Tell us what breed you decide to get!

Bastet27
04-12-2003, 11:07 PM
I posted a thread like this one a while ago, but i still haven't gotten my puss yet. I reccomend an abyssinian! I've heard about them. Also, bengals look pretty good too. :) I hope ya choose a good pussie to be your new pet:D

cocker_luva
04-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks everyone for the info, some of the stuff I knew but some I didn't. Again thanks.

cocker_luva
04-13-2003, 07:08 PM
If you have seen or would think any cat mixes look cute post them at my other thread in Cat Breeds called Amazing Cat Mixes.

rosethecopycat
04-13-2003, 09:17 PM
SIAMESE!

What characters they are!

And they TALK!

I often wonder what it would be like to put an ABY with my Siamese, what fun would brew there.

Abys and Meezers and Bengals are active, needy cats. They need contact, more like children than some other breeds.

Is this the type you may be interested in? Or do you like the more relaxed varieties?

tikeyas_mom
04-13-2003, 10:22 PM
Adopt, or goto a shelter at least and look around :). they have alot of availible kittens I bet.

If I were to get a pure bred I would get a persian :D, I love their pushed in faces :).;)

julijul
04-15-2003, 01:44 PM
What type of temperment are you looking for? How high/low maintenence do you want your kitty to be? How talkative? All these things you want to take into consideration before chosing a breed that you're apt to spend 100s (even 1000s) of dollars on!

Myself, I chose Bengals! I was first attracted by their beauty, then I learned of their temperment, everything I wanted in a cat! Social, playful, affectionate, curious, highly adaptable, love water, even have "dog-like" characteristics!

Here's what I got with my two:
Very loving (when they want to be!) They sleep snuggled next to me at night. They don't really enjoy being picked up, but they frequently "catnap" with me while I'm watching TV. But they ONLY love me. No one else!!! They're pretty nervous and skiddish around strangers (especially Jonah), unless of course you have food, a toy, or something that smells interesting.

Playful - VERY playful! Very high attention needs for play! And they DESTROY toys!! But they're so much fun and VERY acrobatic!!

Curious - meaning, they are into EVERYTHING!! I do mean everything!

Love water - not really, except they are FASCINATED by a flushing toilet!

Dog like - VERY! They have to sniff everything new that comes into the house (including people - if it's only one person..more then one, they become zoom kitties!). Finn fetches. I think it's the cutest thing ever (but with one, and only one, toy). Jonah chews ANYTHING that's plastic (hard or soft) and wood. Everything wood and plastic I own has Jonah bite marks on it!

And the one thing no one told me and drives me batty? Jonah's voice - he YOWLS!! He's the loudest cat I've ever heard. For no reason at all!! Especially at 6am when I'm still trying to get the last valuable minutes of sleep! I think this is the one (and only) bad quality about Bengals - I prefer quiet cats. Luckily - Finn has a very quiet, petit meow.

And the one thing no one told me that I absolutely love? They hardly shed at all! (only when they're nervous).

I know you didn't say you were interested in Bengals - but these are some of the things you need to consider when choosing a particular breed of cat - talk to breeders, talk to owners.

And don't forget about your local animal rescue/humane society! Kittens are super cute, but if you adopt an older kitten or adult, you're likely to know better about what sort of temperment they'll have.

Some day when I'm able to have a 3rd cat, I'd like to get involved in showing - so I've though alot about what my 3rd cat should be - I really like Pixie-Bobs (much like bengals in temperment but not as talkative), I thought about Balinese/Javanese (I just love their long profiles and tubular bodies) but then thought of the "talkative" factor, Singapuras sure are cute! The breeder I got my two from also breeds (and shows) Singapuras - they are kind of like Bengals on speed!! And super affectionate!

Phew - ok, I guess that was kind of a lot!
Check out my photo album if you'd like to see pics of my two!

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-16-2003, 07:31 AM
IMHO YOU do not choose a cat - a CAT chooses you!

I also echo the advice re a rescue cat or kitten - and you will probably find a wide choice of breeds available. It might help to enquire at your local rescue / shelter and also your vet - they may be aware of an unwanted cat or kitten or litter of the breed you eventually choose.;)

Best of luck - hope you are chosen by a real special kittie!

cocker_luva
04-16-2003, 03:11 PM
even if it was from a shelter or not, i would like some background info on a cat first!!!!!!!!!

carole
04-16-2003, 07:28 PM
i know what u are saying , i was scared i would get another one with the same temperament as Ash, and i nearly took one at the shelter, i was stroking this female grey cat, and she seemed happy, then all of a sudden she bit my finger, blood everywhere, it hurt too, that was a close call for me, they said she was stressed being in a shopping mall, but i reckon that was half the truth, i think it was her nature, thank goodness i took lexie next door to her and i am blessed with a lovely natured kitty, so take your time as i said before, be in no hurry, and make a wise choice, you will find the right kitty as i did if you do.:)

cocker_luva
04-17-2003, 03:31 PM
thank u carole, i don't wanna be in a hurry. i'm gonna take my time researching and eliminating the breeds that aren't right for me.

carole
04-17-2003, 04:12 PM
good for u, let me know when u get your new kitty
cheers

slick
04-17-2003, 05:02 PM
I, too encourage you to get a rescue cat, preferrably an adult as opposed to a kitten. The kittens are always the first to go because of the "cutness factor" and the adults always get overlooked. There are so many advantages to getting an adult and they are just as loving as kittens. Good luck.

bluekat
04-18-2003, 10:10 AM
I agree with slick, adult cats from a shelter could be very affectionate too. Once I went and saw this cat i fell in love with. He was an adult, and once I walked over to him, he immediately got up from sleeping and started purring and rubbing himself against me as best as he could. The people said that if you hold him, he'll do whatever he can to stay on you as long as he can. I was soooo sad when my parents said we couldn't get him.
So go to a shelter, and look for a cat, and you'll know right away if its the right cat for you.

cocker_luva
04-19-2003, 03:26 PM
I am really thinking about getting the Australian Mist. they're good with kids, very affectionate and lap cats, from what i read.

kath00
04-30-2003, 06:34 AM
You should think about getting a Ragdoll...

Ragdoll cats are affectionate, dependant, big fluffy cats that do not shed too much and do not need grooming, despite their beautiful, medium long fur. Ragdoll are "colorpointed" cats that will follow you around the house like a dog and it will flop into your arms like a rag doll (children will enjoy it as much as you!). ;)

kath00
04-30-2003, 06:35 AM
here's a good website if you're interested in Ragdolls :
http://www.ragdoll-cats.com

carole
04-30-2003, 08:40 PM
gosh is that right about the ragdolls, they dont shed, are they not long haired, and dont need grooming, i never knew that about this breed, i would love to own a ragdoll oneday, do you think they would be ok for someone with cat allergy, remembering i have two cats right now. but i thought being long-haired would be an absolute no no., just wondering if you know thanks

PayItForward
05-01-2003, 05:05 AM
The Ragdoll breed must be kept inside at all times. Because of their natures they don't see danger. ie. Sit in the middle of the road and will go home with anyone.

As I know you have inside/outside cats, a Ragdoll wouldn't be the right cat for you.

kath00
05-01-2003, 07:10 AM
Their coat is like that of a rabbits’ and sheds considerably less than other medium-long haired cats. Ragdolls' coat do not mat, so grooming is not absolutely essential, but a weekly grooming is really benefic to the beauty of the fur. :)

Because Ragdolls lack undercoat and shed little, it is sometimes claimed that they donīt cause allergic reactions. It however isnīt the hair which causes allergy, but the dander :eek: . Therefore Ragdolls are just as bad to people with an allergy as any other breed.

Ragdoll facts
:) The male can weight up to 20 pounds, the female usually weight 10-15 pounds;
:) Ragdolls are very affectionate and love to sit beside their owner;
:) Ragdoll are gentle and limp into trusting arms;
:) Ragdolls follow their owner everywhere and are very people-oriented;
:) Ragdolls get purrfectly along with other pets and children;
:) Ragdolls are known to be quick learners.

Here's a good text about ragdoll cats :
"Ragdolls truly deserve their name. The name implies to Ragdollsī tendency to relax all their muscles and go limp in oneīs arms like big beanie babies, but they have other characteristics that could be connected to a rag doll: they are friendly, sweet, loving, docile, gentle and serene. Although they have many good qualities, it is the personality which has made people call Ragdolls addictive!

Ragdolls are "people-oriented" cats who love to be with humans and attach strongly to their owners. Many Ragdoll owners tell how their cats wait for them at the door when they come home and follow them everywhere like shadows! Ragdoll owners are rarely alone; Ragdolls want to take part of everything that happens in the house and "help" their owners on whatever they do. Because Ragdolls want to be close to their humans, they are always on danger to be stepped on! Luckily they also forgive easily. Because Ragdolls are very social, you should get at least two cats if you are a lot of time away from home.

Ragdolls are calm, yet moderately active and like to play. With their easy-going attitude, they get along well with other animals and children and rarely use their claws while playing with someone. Ragdolls can also adapt to live in a small apartment and they are happy living indoors, as long as you play with them and provide them cat toys and a climbing tree. In fact Ragdolls should never be let go outside alone, because they are very trusting and tend to think of everyone as a friend. Their trusting nature also shows in the way they let people handle them: you can put Ragdolls on their backs and carry them like babies, and unlike most cats, they actually often enjoy tummy rubs!

Ragdolls are usually not very "talkative" and they have a quiet voice. Yet they have a large vocabulary and often Ragdoll owners tell how they cats "chirp", "squeak" and "growl"!

Ragdolls are less stubborn than most cats tend to be and they can be easily trained. They usually learn the same tricks as dogs, like retriving toys, rolling and begging. They are also easy to teach how to walk on a leash and how to use a scratching post. Ragdolls are generally not destructive at home, because they are calm and usually prefer the floor-level to climbing. Due their lack of undercoat, Ragdolls shed relatively little.

Donīt forget that these are only common qualities in Ragdolls and just like in any other breed, they donīt apply to all of them. Every Ragdoll is an individual!"

PayItForward
05-01-2003, 07:28 AM
In fact Ragdolls should never be let go outside alone, because they are very trusting and tend to think of everyone as a friend

This is why I'll never own a ragdoll but I love looking at their beautiful faces. Hopefully a PT member will adopt one, then I can see plenty of photos.

I think our Milo has a very small amount of ragdoll in him or to be more accurate 'ragdoll behaviour'. He goes limp when you pick him up, loves to be carried like a baby and he follows us everywhere. He always sits on our laps asking for attention. So Milo is my fake ragdoll kitty.

kath00
05-02-2003, 06:57 AM
In my opinion, a cat shouldn't be left outside all day long... so a Ragdoll is purrfect for me !!!!

What can happen to a cat outside :
:( Bad people can steal it;
:( Bad people can kill it if they really don't like cats;
:( Good people that thinks your cat is lost will "adopt" it...;
:( Poison, toxics plants, fleas, worms...;
:( Cars;
:( Dogs, wolves, coyots, bears, other cats;
:( A sick cat will go to hide itself and will probably die there.

When you let a cat go outside, you expose it to a very short lifespan. :confused: