PDA

View Full Version : Diego attacked Cali...

Queen of Poop
08-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Diego went on a rampage this morning. He went after Cali and wouldn't stop. Her screaming is still ringing in my ears. He scratched her left eye area. I rushed her to the emergency vet while still in my pj's as her eye area was bloody and wet. She's ok, her eye is fine, just a cut on the lower lid. Diego has been on fluoxetine for several years for anxiety. I'm thinking it failed this morning.

Freedom
08-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Oh my goodness! Must have been so scary for all of you. I'm glad to read Cali is going to be fine.

Do you have any plan as to Diego's meds, or not yet?

Karen
08-12-2017, 09:07 AM
How scary and sad! Poor Cali, and poor you!

Randi
08-12-2017, 09:35 AM
Oh no! How scary. :( I'm glad Cali's eye is OK, though.

It's a long time to be on any medicine. Have you tried taking her off it for a while and see how that goes? What does the vet say?

Good luck!

phesina
08-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Oh, my God. Poor Cali, and poor all of you! I'm glad the vet says Cali's eye is fine.

Maybe keep them separate the rest of the weekend? And let the regular vet know on Monday and see what he/she says?

Best wishes for you all! {{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from Pat and Poppy and Sparkler

cats4ever
08-12-2017, 01:08 PM
How scary and awful! I'm glad that Cali's eye is ok. And luckily, you didn't get hurt.
Is it possible that Diego threw up or spit out his Fluoxetine secretly? And I mean for several days. Missing one dose should not make him act like that. If that is even a remote possibility, Diego could suffer from withdrawal symptoms.
You should definitely talk to your vet.
How is Diego acting now? Are they separated?
Again, I'm glad to hear that you and Cali are ok. Best wishes!:love::love::love:

Queen of Poop
08-12-2017, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone. It was the scariest animal incident I've ever had. I keep squirt bottles around to settle kitty squabbles cause I'm not going to use my hands and risk a bite. Emptied half the bottle, but finally stopped the madness. I just managed to get the second dose of pain meds into Cali. Her eye looks pretty good but I think it hurts from the way she was holding it half open. She can have the next dose in 12 hours. I kept them separated all morning while I had to go out. They've been napping in the same room for the last 3 hours, Cali on the chair, Diego on the couch. Diego is sporting a breakaway collar doused with Feliway. The emergency vet said there are other meds that Diego could take if the fluoxetine isn't doing the job. I will be investing that to be sure.

Catty1
08-12-2017, 09:07 PM
I found using a collar on Oscar years ago worked very well. He was on a high dose - 3 squirts a day.

That sounds really odd and very scary. Diego isn't in pain or anything is he?

HUGS.

mon
08-13-2017, 04:16 PM
So sorry to hear about that ruckus, cats can be so crazy sometimes :rolleyes: Mine still scrap when the mood strikes. I have to agree with the collar idea, very good advice IMHO as well. Lily had to wear one for a month and a half once, I am pretty sure it bothered me far more than it did her. It has its advantages when it comes to healing for sure. All the best