PDA

View Full Version : Renavast ~ Kidney health for dogs and cats

kuhio98
03-21-2014, 02:32 PM
Does anyone have any experience with http://www.renavast.com/ ?

Seems like if kitties live long enough, they all have kidney problems. Cammie-Cat is over 20 and is in kidney failure. Thought I'd start the 2 younger ones on something to help their kidneys before they get older.
Waiting to hear back from my vet to see if he's ever heard of it or recommends it, but I thought I'd ask you guys too. :)

Karen
03-21-2014, 05:01 PM
I have not heard of it, if you want, I could check with my radio vet buddy ...

kuhio98
03-21-2014, 06:55 PM
I have not heard of it, if you want, I could check with my radio vet buddy ...

Thanks Karen. No answer from our vet yet. So, I'd appreciate any input.

Freedom
03-21-2014, 07:56 PM
I've not heard of that either.

From my experience, one thing which will help prevent / postpone onset of kidney issues is to make sure the cat has plenty of fluid intake. Cats in general do not drink much water from a bowl / fountain. They are 'programmed' genetically to get all the fluids they need from their prey. So feeding juNow, st dry kibble is not a good diet (my vet recommended Science Diet kibble and that is ALL I fed for years. :( ) Now, I regularly feed canned / soft / wet food. I regularly boil boneless skinless chicken breast in water with some minced garlic. The cats get the breast cut up for breakfast daily. At noon, I heat the saved broth, and that goes on the dogs' food. A separate warmed bowl is set out for the cats, as a sort of 'baited water,' and they DO drink it up.

I did the sub q fluids here at home for 6 months with my first cat who had kidney disease. One thing you need to realize is that with that, the cat WILL be urinating uncontrollably all over the place.

kuhio98
03-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Our favorite vet tech is researching Revavast. Our vet hasn't heard of it before.

Cataholic
03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Freedom hit on some good points. AND, most vets know doggie-doo doo about pet food. :(

Every am, I give all ten of my cats a smidge of wet food. A tuna sized can gets divided. And, I don't believe for a moment that gets enough water into them. But, for one of the cats, the one that does have signs of kidney failure, his is made into a soup. He drinks it. I also have a water fountain AND I leave my tub dripping. :-0 Yup. I know they drink from it as I see them in there all the time, there are wet heads all the time, and paw prints on the floor.

Cats don't prefer their food bowls next to their water bowls. I also have water out for them that isn't next to the food.

Let us know what you hear back from the tech!

Barbara
03-24-2014, 12:41 PM
In this post I had originally referred to a website that saw Renavast critical.
Karen has asked me whether she could delete the link but I prefer to delete my post.
I still think it is a valid website.

MindyAndSam
03-26-2014, 02:16 PM
The sanctuary where I volunteer has had very good results using Renavast on older cats with kidney disease. One guy, Billy, a very old cat that we all thought was heading into his last days, started Renavast and he started feeling a lot better. He went from we all thought he was dying, to running around chasing the other cats. His fur looked better, too. He stuck around with us for almost another year and a half. The ingredients are listed on the bottle. I definitely recommend it and would have your vet look into it further if you have questions.

kuhio98
04-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Bobcat says the Renavast has arrived in the mail.
He's starting Cammie on it today. I'm away at work but when I get home, we'll take Cammie in for a checkup and see if her numbers improve any.

Will keep you posted.

Joe_Go
05-11-2014, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to print that blog to take to my vet. I am naturally skeptical and slant more on the science side as well. I surfed the net for as much info as I could find regarding RenAvast. I too went to that site. At first it appeared to raise a huge red flag about the product. Then something didn't smell right about what I was reading! First of all, it's a blog which is always suspicious. Second, this individual is anonymous. We have no idea who this is and what their background is. If you explore the blog, they bash everything. Even stuff that vets recommend everyday. Even products like Azodyle which vets have been using for a while for CRF. As far as the ingredients being hidden, not only do the online pharmacies have them, but they are on the label. Not to mention, I called the company and they sent me a label copy before I ordered with an online pharmacy. Here's a link to the ingredients; no mystery!
http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4690&SEName=renavast-sprinkle-capsules&gclid=CLqLpY3Apb4CFZJbfgodQCkASQ
Bio Health Solutions only appears to be a research firm as far as I can see. They don't even sell RenAvast. All sales seem to go through vet supply distributors to vets and pharmacies. This blog said that they heavily market. I haven't seen anything marketing wise from this company. It's all vet pharmacies doing marketing. Your vet should ask their distributor about the product. If you ask me, this blog is a fraud!

MindyAndSam
05-12-2014, 03:14 PM
I just now looked at that blog and I don't even know what to say. It hurts me that there cats who might be helped by using some Renavast but they aren't because somebody read that. I just know that Billy made visible improvements and was back his old self for more than a year and I'm so glad we gave him that extra time. I just asked the sanctuary manager if she still has a bottle of Renavast and she does so she took a picture for me. The ingredients are right there. I'm going to try to upload the picture 58142

Joe_Go
05-14-2014, 07:03 AM
I don't know who started this rumor that the RenAvast ingredients are "hidden". This is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard! This drum needs to stop beating for sure. I checked with my pet pharmacy, VetRxdirect, and they have the ingredients listed as well http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/renavastkidneysupplementforcats/variation11354utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=090&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303438393933&gclid=CJ6LmK2rq74CFYlafgodBLAAgQ. I also found it on an Amazon site: http://www.amazon.com/RenAvast-Kidney-Support-Dogs-capsules/dp/B00EWX3EQ8. As I mentioned before, the ingredients are on this site too http://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4690&SEName=renavast-sprinkle-capsules&gclid=CNeij7qsq74CFYeUfgod-FwAtw. If you ask me, anyone that is claiming that Bio Health Solutions is somehow hiding the ingredients has an ulterior motive. And it ain't good! I already received my RenAvast and started using it. So far, Little Joe is eating it without hesitation. He is an easy guy so pilling his Azodyl has been easy too. By the way, the cost was really reasonable; not expensive at all! By the way Sam, could you post a bigger picture? Lol!!

Karen
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Hee hee - at least no one can claim her picture is too small to rad the label!
Hopefully Kuhio will let us know how Cammie is doing on it!

MindyAndSam
05-14-2014, 12:49 PM
OMG I am so sorry about the size of that picture!!! I did not mean for it to be HUGE like that. :eek: If the Admins want to delete it, I will resize it and post it again. But um, yea there can be no mistaking that is a bottle of Renavast with the ingredients listed LOL. Hope everyone is well!

Jeanmarie
05-14-2014, 01:16 PM
OMG I am so sorry about the size of that picture!!! I did not mean for it to be HUGE like that. :eek: If the Admins want to delete it, I will resize it and post it again. But um, yea there can be no mistaking that is a bottle of Renavast with the ingredients listed LOL. Hope everyone is well!

Well...my baby had a check up and the creatinine has gone from 3.3 to 3.0!!!! Needless to say I am ONE HAPPY CAT MAMA!!! I need to go on the RenAvast facebook page and tell them how happy I am and go on some of the other blog sites so other cats can do as well as my baby is doing. By the way joe...that site has bashed almost every great product my vet has suggested. My vet said that most vets believe that site is somehow linked to a big phrama company that is trying to kill any good product except for theirs. I think if anyone has questions about RenAvast they should go to www.reanavast.com and email their customer service department. That is what I did when I had a question and they were great about getting back to me.

Joe_Go
05-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Mindy: I'm glad I didn't need glasses to read that RenAvast label. What ingredients LOL!! I've been watching some post and noticed some have mentioned a raw diet. Any thoughts? Little Joe is on Azodyl and RenAvast and is taking both well without any hesitation. LJ can have loose stools if I change his diet. So far the Azodyl and RenAvast have not impacted that. If a raw diet is better, I'd be willing to try it. Some blogger was bashing a raw diet as some holistic nonsense. It just seems like another form of food to me. Any experience out there?

Karen
05-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Lots of people here do feed "raw," as with any diet, there are good and bad versions, but paying attention to what is in the food is important. Making sure the cat gets the proper nutrients is vital. Cats do NOT need grain, for example, as they are obligate carnivores, but they do need taurine and other vitamins, so it is important to do the research.

Jeanmarie
05-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Lots of people here do feed "raw," as with any diet, there are good and bad versions, but paying attention to what is in the food is important. Making sure the cat gets the proper nutrients is vital. Cats do NOT need grain, for example, as they are obligate carnivores, but they do need taurine and other vitamins, so it is important to do the research.

Yes, Karen is right. I feed all wet food and no dry food. The good news is that RenAvast increases cats and dogs appetites which is so important with CRF (Chronic Renal failure). But most important with CRF cats is that they are eating...not what they eat. I know that before I started RenAvast it was hit and miss with them eating. Now they eat like crazy!!! I am so thankful to RenAvast for this because it is so stressful when your baby won't eat!

Karen
05-21-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes, Karen is right. I feed all wet food and no dry food. The good news is that RenAvast increases cats and dogs appetites which is so important with CRF (Chronic Renal failure). But most important with CRF cats is that they are eating...not what they eat. I know that before I started RenAvast it was hit and miss with them eating. Now they eat like crazy!!! I am so thankful to RenAvast for this because it is so stressful when your baby won't eat!

I am so glad it is helping your kitties - and your own stress level as well!

MindyAndSam
05-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Well...my baby had a check up and the creatinine has gone from 3.3 to 3.0!!!! Needless to say I am ONE HAPPY CAT MAMA!!! I need to go on the RenAvast facebook page and tell them how happy I am and go on some of the other blog sites so other cats can do as well as my baby is doing. By the way joe...that site has bashed almost every great product my vet has suggested. My vet said that most vets believe that site is somehow linked to a big phrama company that is trying to kill any good product except for theirs. I think if anyone has questions about RenAvast they should go to www.reanavast.com and email their customer service department. That is what I did when I had a question and they were great about getting back to me.

That is so great!!!! I'm happy for you and your baby! :love:

Joe_Go
05-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Mindy: As they say, "Go Big or Just Go Home" LOL!. RenAvast for elephants perhaps?

Jeanmarie
06-03-2014, 12:56 PM
My vet was just telling me that so many times vet with cats and dogs with kidney failure don't look at other conditions that can complicate the situation (such as hyperthyroidism and heart disease). Everyone should be sure to not only check CRF values such as creatinine and BUN but check thyroid (T4) level and have blood pressure checked. RenAvast is a great product but it can't help other disease that can harm your cat or dog. I have the most AMAZING vet!

MindyAndSam
06-09-2014, 03:56 PM
I agree that there's no substitute for great veterinary care. So many of the cats with kidney disease are older cats. There could be a number of issues to deal with. And although you can obtain Renavast without a prescription, it takes a good vet to properly examine and diagnose everything that's going on with Kitty!

jcribbs
08-26-2014, 05:55 PM
Hi,

I had a cat with bladder/kidney problems as well.... She was at the point that she was ready to be put down. So what i did was start making her raw food as a last ditch effort....

I got my recipe from http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html

I used the "Recipe WITHOUT Real Bones" as I did not have a grinder at the time. I also added Cranberry capsules in it that I got at the health food store. She thrived on this recipe and lived. In one week, she gained weight, was slick and shiny and back to her old self. I have never seen a turn-a-round health-wise like this. It's not cheap, but it saved her life.

Whenever my cats get under the weather, we go back to raw.

Jenn

p.s. I also added extra taurine..

Freedom
08-27-2014, 08:32 AM
I had not heard of Renavast before this thread.

Since then, I have shared about it on FB with 3 folks whose bichons have developed renal issues with age. All 3 checked with their vet, all 3 are now using it (as well as the azodyl) and are seeing improvements or (in one case) a hold on the numbers.

So thank you for sharing this info!

kuhio98
08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
It really seems to have stabilized Cammie. The vet predicted that she wouldn't make it until Christmas 2013. But, she is still enjoying life. At 20+ she is doing amazingly well. Her kidney function has not improved -- but it hasn't declined further.

She hasn't been able to gain any weight back and she looks kinda scruffy but give that girl a whiff of catnip and she rolls around like a kitten again. :)

Freedom
08-27-2014, 07:03 PM
That is nice to learn the update on Cammie. :love: