PDA

View Full Version : Merlin

slick
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Merlin went in for a dental today. Two extractions and a biopsy later, he's home. Vet said he has an aggressive looking growth in his mouth and he's seen this type before. Very good chance it's cancer and if it is, I elect for no further treatment. I will just spoil him for the next few months or however long he's with me.

Catty1
03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh dear. I hope beyond hope that it is NOT cancer. If it is, I do hope Merlin will be pain-free for a long time. I know he'll be spoiled rotten! :love:

Hugs to you and dear Merlin. :love::love:

Karen
03-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Aww, here's hoping it isn't cancer, but if it is, we know you just spoil him with love and kisses until it's time. We'll be thinking of you!

krazyaboutkatz
03-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Slick, I sure hope it's not cancer.:( This brings back memories of my RB Sunny.:( I also decided to do the same thing that you have if it is the cancer. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent Merlin's way.:love: Please take care. (((HUGS)))

phesina
03-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Oh, my dearest Merlin, I am sending all my lovies and purrs and headbumpies to you. :love::love::love: from your Sparkler.

Barbara
03-26-2013, 05:37 AM
Slick I am so sorry- but I'm with you. If it is cancer just love him and spoil him...

smokey the elder
03-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Poor Merlin, having that nasty thing in his mouth. I hope it doesn't affect his eating. How old is he?

ramanth
03-26-2013, 08:48 AM
Sorry to hear Merlin has a mass. Hope it's not cancer! :love:

Queen of Poop
03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
Prayers for good news from the vet. :love::love::love:

Freedom
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I go that route with mine, as well; just keep them comfortable, and love them.

Merlin, a dental and extractions?! You will be eating again in no time, kitty. Sending you chin rubs!

Randi
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope it's not painful, but it must be bothering him. :( Keep him comfortable and give him lots of love. I understand your decision.

Sending lots of positive thoughts and kisses to Merlin, and hugs to you! :love: :love:

lizbud
03-26-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm so sorry Merlin is not well. :(Here's hoping the Dr gives better news after the biopsy.

katladyd
03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Sending good thoughts and prayers Merlin's way. I do hope it's not cancer, and if it is, I hope it's the type he can live with for a long, long, time.:love:

momoffuzzyfaces
03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I am so sorry to hear about Merlin. I can so understand your decision!!! Fingers crossed the vet gives you good news. Prayers for you both no matter what. Please give him an exta luvie from me, ok? :love::love:

phesina
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Prayers and good warm wishes for dearest Merlin and for you too, Vicki. We are praying for promising news from the vet about the biopsy, but whatever it turns out to be, you and Merlin will continue to share your wondrous love for all the time you have together.. on this plane and for always.

God bless you both.

Love from Pat and cats :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Karen
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Any news yet?

slick
03-26-2013, 10:09 PM
No, nothing yet Karen. I was told it would take about 2 days to get results so I should hear something tomorrow. All my other kitties have passed from old age so this is my first experience with feline cancer. I shamefully admit that I've been home all day and in my lazy-boy with Merlin on my chest sleeping. He's in front of the fireplace now so will head downstairs to the workout room for a bit.

More later when I hear.

Karen
03-27-2013, 01:11 AM
Oh, okay! Thanks for keeping us updated.

gini
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Lighting some candles for you and Merlin. Give him some loving from me too, Slick. All of us understand the position that you are in and wish that we could make it easier for you,

slick
03-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Diagnosis confirmed: Squamous Cell Carcinoma.
Dr. Singh estimates that I have two months with him at best.:(:(

momoffuzzyfaces
03-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Oh, my friend, my heart is breaking for you!!! Please give Merlin an extra kiss from me. All any of us can do in these situations, is love them and cuddle them as much as we can. Prayers will continue for you both. :love::love:

Bengalz
03-27-2013, 11:15 PM
Slick,

I am truly sorry to see this news about Merlin:(. I know you will cherish every moment you have with him and will hold you both in my thoughts.:love::love:

Please take care. Hugs, Betty

cassiesmom
03-28-2013, 12:16 AM
(((HUGS)))) for Merlin and Slick :love: :love:

krazyaboutkatz
03-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I know exactly what you're going through.:( Enjoy every moment you have with him and take a lot of pictures. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

phesina
03-28-2013, 05:16 AM
I am so very, very sorry.

Hugs to you, Vicki, and gentle pets to dearest Merlin.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Moesha
03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Having been through mouth cancer with Morgan, this thread is very hard for me to read. I have been checking back regularly though, hoping for good news. I'm so sorry to hear the diagnosis. Enjoy the time you can spend with Merlin to the full. Many thoughts are with you.

Queen of Poop
03-28-2013, 07:13 AM
I am so very sorry. Enjoy the time you have with your dear boy. Sending hugs to you both. :love::love::love:

Barbara
03-28-2013, 09:29 AM
I am so sorry- I hope the boy is not in pain and it is two wonderful months....

katladyd
03-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Slick, my heart is breaking at this news! I remember your stories about Merlin's drooling when he was getting loved and thought, "Wow, never heard of that before!" Then, Kimba joined our family and he drools buckets, too! I never hold him on my lap and pet him without thinking of dear Merlin. I am sending up big prayers that Merlin feels no pain and that you have much more quality time together!:love:

Catty1
03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I am grateful that I got to meet Merlin last September. He is such a gentle boy, with those unique eyes.

I just feel sick at this news, though nothing like you must be feeling. I wish there was an effective treatment for this cancer - ALL cancers, for all living creatures. Cancer sucks!!! :mad::(

It's just not fair. :(

All my love to you and Merlin. I know you will do everything for him and that he will be loved, spoiled and comfortable for the rest of his life. :love::love:

smokey the elder
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm so sorry about Merlin. Feed him anything he wants and massively love on him, as I'm sure you will.:love:

Randi
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear this, I know what you're going through. :( Keep Merlin as comfortable a you can and give him lots of love... I know you will.

Kisses and positive thoughts to Merlin - and big ((((hugs)))) to you! :love:

ChrisH
03-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Very sad results indeed. :( My heart goes out to you dear lady. Sending warmest love & hugs for you both.

Karen
03-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Slick, I mentioned this to the vets today on the Ask the Vets radio show, and they talked quite a bit about his cancer, and what you can do to keep him comfiest in his remaining time with you. I'll email you the audio files when I get them, okay?

slick
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Slick, I mentioned this to the vets today on the Ask the Vets radio show, and they talked quite a bit about his cancer, and what you can do to keep him comfiest in his remaining time with you. I'll email you the audio files when I get them, okay? Karen, thank you so very much. He is still eating well but I can see signs of slight struggle when swallowing. I sure wish I could get that radio show up here. Do you happen to know what extension the audio files will have? Just want to make sure I am able to open it. Thanks again. Now it's time for Merlin's Magical Blend (that's what I call the med combo).

Karen
03-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Karen, thank you so very much. He is still eating well but I can see signs of slight struggle when swallowing. I sure wish I could get that radio show up here. Do you happen to know what extension the audio files will have? Just want to make sure I am able to open it. Thanks again. Now it's time for Merlin's Magical Blend (that's what I call the med combo).

They are mp3 files. Most everyone can open them!

slick
03-31-2013, 07:45 PM
The doses of antibiotic and steroid will be finished tomorrow and I don't plan on renewing it. Today I stopped by the vets to pick up some more pain medication as it seems to be working. Last night he was actually playing with his catnip pillow for a bit. His output is good and his input is adequate. I feed him whatever he wants and whenever he wants it. He deserves that now.

Tonight I'm going to give him a bit of my short ribs - all chopped up of course. :cool:

Karen
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
Aww, glad to hear he's doing well, all things considered!

phesina
04-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Good boy, Merlin, your Meowmie loves you very, very much. We are so glad the pain medication is working and you are enjoying your food and playing with your catnip pillow.

We love you very, very much too, darling Merlin. We are sending all our love and prayers to you.

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

P.S., your beloved Sparkler especially sends her love.

Catty1
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM
MMmmm all that yummy food, and you so deserve it!

Slick - just wondering about the steroids. Are they a 'comfort' drug - do they shrink the tumour a tad so Merlin can swallow more easily? I can see stopping the ABs, just wondering where the steroids fit in.

Please give Merlin hugs and scritchies and kisses from me - and yourself a hugs! :love:

slick
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Catty: The steroids are supposed to help shrink the tumour. Honestly, I don't see the point as technically he's at stage 4 and there really isn't anything we can do for him except keep him as comfortable as possible with the pain med. I do see signs of struggle when eating and today he has not eaten very much at all.

The antibiotics are usually prescribed after tooth extractions and he's had his dosage so I feel comfortable in stopping that one.

He can still jump on and off the couch and he still uses the litter box OK but if he continues to struggle to eat then I fear I may have to make a decision sooner rather than later.:(

Moesha
04-01-2013, 06:10 PM
That was what helped me to determine when to let Morgan go. When I got the terminal diagnosis, I made up my mind then that I was not going to let him suffer at all. I didn't think it was fair to him and I didn't want to remember him suffering at all. We tried the pain medicine. He absolutely hated getting it. He loved his food, but as soon as I saw that the tumor was affecting his ability to eat, even preventing him from doing so, I knew that was time to say good bye. We had great times together in those few weeks after his cancer was confirmed. I even stayed home from a trip to Disney to be with him. I don't regret it a bit. We spent quality time together that I will always cherish. I wish the same for you and Merlin. I'm so sad thinking of you going through this with your baby.

Pinot's Mom
04-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Slick, I'm sorry not to have commented more earlier; Moesha and I have been through this together and it's hard. I lost my kitty Jamara to this almost 12 years ago and it feels like yesterday. Please take all cues from Merlin - he will let you know if you're open to listen. I was not. I was selfish and wanted my baby with me (I knew I couldn't get through this without tears...) and I think timing would have been different if I had listened. Please PM me if you want to talk, or message me on FB, give me your number and I'll call.

Much love - Maggie.

Catty1
04-01-2013, 10:34 PM
{{{hugs}}} Slick. More kissies and cuddles from me for Merlin...as many as he'll take. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Slick, as you know I've also been through this with my beloved Sunny.:( I was the one that found the lump in his lower jaw.:( I had asked my vet about using pred but she said it wouldn't work in his case but I could try a different drug that would them probably cause kidney disease. I didn't want to go through this with him so I never tried it. My vet estimated that he had about 3 months left. I had to say goodbye to him a bit sooner because he was having problems eating or he'd throw up his food shortly after eating.:( He was losing weight and he was also showing signs of being in pain.:( I did give him some pain medicine but this made him very sleepy and not want to eat at all. Usually you can also tell by a cats eyes when it's time to let them go. I hope that Merlin will be able to be with you for a while longer. If you ever need to talk I'm only a pm away. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

smokey the elder
04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
Steroids also boost the appetite, so maybe Merlin will eat better.

Randi
04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I know how hard it is to see our babies getting old and sick, and to take that final decision, but he'll tell you when it's time. Just keep him free of pain and give him lots of loving until then. I so wanted to take Fister back home for just a few more days, but his quality of life would not have been good. So, even though I miss him, the decision was a good one. You will know, too.

Give Merlin some gentle kisses from me! :love:

((((hugs)))) to you, dear Slick.

slick
04-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all your replies everyone. Merlin has been eating well up until this morning.:( He's on Hills A/D which is a very smooth pate and when I add warm water to it, it seems to go down well. This morning Merlin didn't eat that much and I'll be out all day but will monitor it tonight. I've promised him that I will be with him forever and that he won't be alone when the time comes and I will move mountains to make sure that happens.

Catty1
04-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all your replies everyone. Merlin has been eating well up until this morning.:( He's on Hills A/D which is a very smooth pate and when I add warm water to it, it seems to go down well. This morning Merlin didn't eat that much and I'll be out all day but will monitor it tonight. I've promised him that I will be with him forever and that he won't be alone when the time comes and I will move mountains to make sure that happens.

:( {{{hugs}}} :love::love::love:

cassiesmom
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
same here: ((((HUGS))))) :love: :love: I will go light another candle for Merlin.

phesina
04-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Same from us too: {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}} and ~~~~~~~PURRS~~~~~~~ and :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-06-2013, 03:32 PM
(((HUGS))) and prayers from me too!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

phesina
04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
To my dearest Merlin sweetie, Meowmie just lit another candle for you: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=18279823

I'm doing so much better! All your good wishes and prayers have brought my appetite back!

I am sending all my love and wish I was there to cuddle up next to you and help you feel better.

Love always from your devoted lady Sparkler :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::l ove::love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Lots of hugs and prayers are being sent to both of you during this difficult time.:love:

slick
04-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh my love: I wish I could expurress how much you mean to me. Purrease don't wurry 'cause I'm OK so far. I'm eating good but I'm sad 'cause I can't eat my krunchies any more. Mewomie gives me soft food and it's really tasty. I've always loved soft food but up until now I only got it as a treat. I'm lucky now.:)

My Meowmie has put a heating pad underneath my napping blanket on the couch so I stay nice and warm, but not as warm as I would be with you by my side. :( I wuv you so much my Sparkler. :love:
Purreverly yours
Merlin :love::love::love:

Meowmie here: I'm quite surprised on how well Merlin is doing. He really is anxious to eat morning and night and his output is good. He gets his pain med and the prednisolone twice daily. He hates taking it but I've got it down to a science now. Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Karen
04-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Meowmie here: I'm quite surprised on how well Merlin is doing. He really is anxious to eat morning and night and his output is good. He gets his pain med and the prednisolone twice daily. He hates taking it but I've got it down to a science now. Thanks everyone for your good wishes.

Of course he's doing well, he knows he the most loved kitty and has his mommy to spoil him! ;) Hugs to you, and good skritches to Merlin!

katladyd
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Sending lots of love and good wishes Merlin's way! Hang in there buddy, okay? Know that your meowmie really loves you, and so do we!:love:

gini
04-10-2013, 07:15 PM
:love::love::love::love::love::love: all for Merlin and Slick.............we love you!!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Lots of (((hugs))) and lovies for you Merlin and your sweet meowmie too!!! :love:

slick
04-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Merlin continues to eat like a pig - something I'm not complaining about. He has taken to sleeping on my closed laptop lid (I have another screen that I use) with the heat of the lamp keeping him warm. Due to the fact that his input and output are good, I'm not worried yet.
He told me to tell you all thank you for the well wishes and candles lit.:love::love: His quality of life is still quite good so I think I'm a long way yet before saying good-bye - or I could just be in denial.:rolleyes:

phesina
04-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Awwww... my dearest Merlin.. what a great place to sleep! Keeping cozy and warm.. eating lots of tasty food.. I wish I was there to cuddle up with you!

I'm over at Meowmie's sister's house right now.. Meowmie says they're putting new WINDOZE in my place.

Love always to my darling from your dearie Sparkler

Queen of Poop
04-12-2013, 08:31 AM
So glad Merlin is continuing to do very well. :love::love::love:

Randi
04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Oh, I'm so glad to hear Merlin is eating and drinking and his output is good. :) Seeing him on the desk under the lamp, reminds me of Fister, he would be there, also - as long as he could jump up.

Keep spoiling him! I hope he'll be around for quite a while, yet.

Gentle kisses from me - and hugs to you! :love: :love:

cassiesmom
04-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Dear Merlin,

That looks like a great place to sit! It must be made of warm :) Thank you for the suggestion, I will try it as soon as my person finishes with the computer! My person asks God for a miracle when she prays for you. We are so glad you're doing well -- we will keep praying and lighting candles for you and your dear meowmy. :love: :love: :love:

Purrs, gentle head bonks and hugs,
Cassie and Elyse

katladyd
04-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Hey, Merlin! It's us, Mac, Ming, and Kimba, your buddies from our Catmobile adventures. We are all happy you are doing so well and are praying real hard that you stay aroundl for a long time. :)

It's' me now, their meowmie. Mac says you were a big help teaching Frankie to catch a baseball and Ming really appreciated all your nice praise for his bagpipe playing. Kimba says you were very nice to him the first time he went on a Catmobile trip with his big brothers. We all think the world of you and your meowmie, so we hope you get a lot more time together and even get to go on another Catmobile trip!:love::love::love:

phesina
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
To our darling Merlin, we are ALL (not just Sparkler here) so glad you are doing so well, eating like a little piggie and getting lots of warm snooozes.. and we are all saying our prayers and sending out our good warm wishes and energies, that you will be around on this plane for a long time yet! You are one of the sweetest kitties we know!

Love love love love love love love love :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: from your Sparkler and all your other friends here, Poppy and Elmer and Bob and Princess Poppaea Sabina Eugenia and our foster sisters Kellie and Kitty (now Katie) who just went to their FURREVER home on Tuesday.. oh, yes, and Pat too!

dehlers43
04-13-2013, 01:42 AM
Merlin, the Princess and Franklin send you love and pawsitive thoughts......

Pinot's Mom
04-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Merlin, sending lots of kitty kisses across the miles for a dear friend; Catmobile and otherwise! :love:

Purrs, Pinot

momoffuzzyfaces
04-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Merlin, my gang are thrilled (and so am I) to hear you are eating and feeling good. Here is a kissie from each of us. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

Catty1
04-13-2013, 03:45 PM
hugs and love going out to you and your mom, Merlin! :love::love:

You're named for a famous wizard - wishing you magic and continued wonderful health!

slick
04-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Merlin has stopped eating. I'll try again today but that, combined with the fact that I noticed a tad of bleeding around his gums last night, I suspect that Monday a decision will be made.:(
Update: The vet will be here on Monday at 11:30am.:(:(

Randi
04-14-2013, 09:33 AM
Oh Slick, I'm so sorry. :( The best you can do, is to give him lots of loving and keeping him comfortable. I know what you're going through and I keep you both in my thoughts.

I send gentle kisses to dear Merlin, and hugs to you. :love: :love:

sasvermont
04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Slick, I think he is telling you something. My Mandy girl (my first Aby) had the same problem but I found it late in the game. I had to feed her water with an eye dropper and she was unable to eat. After the biopsy report she departed with the help of the vet, within two days. My heart broke. I loved her so. I know how much you love all your cats. It is difficult to watch them try and much better to end their mystery and confusion. May you have extra special strength to get through this. :love::love::love::love:

Catty1
04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Slick, sending many hugs and much love to you and Merlin. Please give him kisses on his sweet forehead from me. He had the best home with you - all that a kitty could want.

I love you, Merlin. Everything will be all right - your mom will be with you always. {{{hugs}}}:love::love:

phesina
04-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Love and hugs and purrs to dearest Merlin and to you too, Vicki, from Pat and cats especially Sparkler. :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
04-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Purrs, hugs, prayers and love from Elyse and Cassie :love: :love: :love:

katladyd
04-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Merlin and Slick, we will hold both of you in our hearts and prayers. Merlin had a great life and home with you and that is something very special. Most old, tired cats at shelters never find that. Loves to both of you!:love::love:

momoffuzzyfaces
04-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Ah, Slick I'm so sorry to hear this. You and Merlin are in my thoughts and prayers. Please give him a few kisses from me, ok? This is the hard part of loving an animal. :love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Slick, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( You'll both be in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. May it be a peaceful journey.:love: Please take care. (((HUGS)))

lizbud
04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Prayers and hugs for Merlin & for you too. :love:

smokey the elder
04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Gentle hugs and safe journey, Merlin.:love:

Randi
04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Thinking of you and Merlin - sending comforting thoughts and big hugs. :love: :love:

Queen of Poop
04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Prayers and good thoughts for you and Merlin. :love::love::love:

Karen
04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Merlin has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. His memorial thread is here. (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?181826-Merlin-unknown-to-April-15-2013&p=2467021#post2467021)