PDA

View Full Version : Tape Worm ... Did You Know?

Craftlady
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Found out the gross way about Tape Worms in Abby. Normally in either dog or cat a tape worm is a small rice like moving thing that is gross.
NOT in Abby's case. Her's were 6 inchs long approx and dead never split into small rice like shapes. OMG it grossed me out and I really thought
that her intestines were coming out. A topical treatment was in order from the vet (smelled like bug spray) yesterday. Could of done pills but for $5 more in cost and less aggravation to pill her it was worth extra money to do topical treatment which is one time thing.

A shorter version of the grossness came out about week ago. I really thought it was a string from a toy that passed. Thankful because it could of
gotten wrapped around her intestines. Then the 6 inch piece came out yesterday in her potty and that was it we were off to vets within 30 mins.

happylabs
02-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Ewwwwww!!!

Karen
02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
How scary! Glad it's treatable, do you know how she could have picked it up?

Cataholic
02-01-2012, 11:06 AM
So freaking nasty. Worms are just so flipping GROSS!!! I have had dogs before with spaghetti poop. Cats has always broken down into sesame sized parts.

Gross, gross, gross. Poor little thing.

phesina
02-01-2012, 11:39 AM
YowEE!!! Ick ick ick! We're glad it is being treated.

Craftlady
02-01-2012, 02:22 PM
How scary! Glad it's treatable, do you know how she could have picked it up?

Flea bite. We've had problems in past since Franklin came into the house. Unfortunately, he brought them in and effected himself (of course) and Aly. Guess Abby got it too :(

smokey the elder
02-01-2012, 02:47 PM
A combo pack of Advantage or Frontline to kill the fleas, and either Drontal (pill) or Profender (topical) works a treat on our rescue cats. Good luck!

Grace
02-01-2012, 02:52 PM
When Red came to live with us, he'd been on his own for an unknown amount of time. So he ate what was available. Shortly after we took him in, he vomited and out came a huge segment, like you describe, of tape worm and some round worms. We gave him some pills that eliminated all his worms.

It was really gross.

Craftlady
02-01-2012, 04:01 PM
A combo pack of Advantage or Frontline to kill the fleas, and either Drontal (pill) or Profender (topical) works a treat on our rescue cats. Good luck!
I was using Frontline Plus on everyone when Franklin came into house. Then I continued with Aly, Franklin since they were ones showing the fleas.
The medication he gave me was Profender (very nice to use on cat who hates pills).

Craftlady
02-01-2012, 04:02 PM
When Red came to live with us, he'd been on his own for an unknown amount of time. So he ate what was available. Shortly after we took him in, he vomited and out came a huge segment, like you describe, of tape worm and some round worms. We gave him some pills that eliminated all his worms.

It was really gross.

Her's came out in diarrhea form. :(

krazyaboutkatz
02-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Yuck!!!:eek: I've only experienced the rice form of tapeworm and that was enough for me. Sky had them and even though he didn't have any fleas, he had been treated for fleas in the Humane Society. He must've swallowed one of his fleas. He was never dewormed which I thought was strange because he had been picked up as a stray. Shortly after I adopted him, I took him to my vet for a check up and he was fine. It was about 2-3 months later that I saw something that looked like rice wiggling on my coffee table. I had a feeling that it might be coming from Sky so I looked at his butt and I saw one coming out of it.:eek: My vet said that it's unusual to see one coming out of a cat like that. I was later given drontal pills to use on him a few weeks apart to make sure that all of the worms were gone. I've been using advantage on my cats every month for many years now so I haven't had this problem with any other cat.

Craftlady
02-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Carson decided to sneak a few licks of beef juice from the roast I made several nights ago. Of course it gave him terrible runs :(
So he is on medication for 5 days. Not the easiest dude to pill but we are managing. I told my vet I needed the potty medication in bulk.
He laughed.

krazyaboutkatz
02-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Carson decided to sneak a few licks of beef juice from the roast I made several nights ago. Of course it gave him terrible runs :(
So he is on medication for 5 days. Not the easiest dude to pill but we are managing. I told my vet I needed the potty medication in bulk.
He laughed.

I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope he'll cooperate and feel better soon. Have you ever tried giving your cats pills in pill pockets? My Storm takes 4 pills a day and I use pill pockets. He thinks he's getting treats and he gobbles them up without any problems.:) I cut each pill pocket up into 4 pieces and then I wrap it around the pill. This way one package lasts much longer too. You can buy them at most pet stores or through your vet.

Craftlady
02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( I hope he'll cooperate and feel better soon. Have you ever tried giving your cats pills in pill pockets? My Storm takes 4 pills a day and I use pill pockets. He thinks he's getting treats and he gobbles them up without any problems.:) I cut each pill pocket up into 4 pieces and then I wrap it around the pill. This way one package lasts much longer too. You can buy them at most pet stores or through your vet.

I have pill shooter which works pretty good or if I aim right I can place it in their mouths with my hand. Carson if you catch him "off guard" he will take the pill like a trooper. I've never used pill pockets.