PDA

View Full Version : Frostbite In Dogs

lizbud
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
The weather has turned frigid here with below zero temps and even
colder wind chill factors. Smokey was really "dancing around" with freezing
feet after just 5 mins outside. Maggie doesn't seem to mind at all, and I
have to practically drag her back inside. Why the difference I wonder?

kaycountrygal
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi.... Sorry, I dont know the difference. What kind of dog is Maggie? I'm sure you've said before but I dont recall. I dont see her on your sig. Sorry your Buddy died. Kay in NC

Freedom
01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I suppose it is the same reason you can go out to eat with a friend and one is comfortable while the other is chilly, and puts on her sweater == we are all different!

We have that cold coming in as well. Brrrrrrrrr!

chocolatepuppy
01-21-2011, 04:10 PM
My RB Lacey had what we called 'sissy feet'. She just couldn't take the cold on her feet. She was short haired and didn't have the fur that my other pups have on their feet. Don't know if that makes the difference?:confused:

lizbud
01-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi.... Sorry, I dont know the difference. What kind of dog is Maggie? I'm sure you've said before but I dont recall. I dont see her on your sig. Sorry your Buddy died. Kay in NC

Maggie is a black Lab mix. I used to have her in my sig, but through a
mixup, I lost the picture. I plan get some new pics uploaded next week
and I hope to get a new sig then. Here is a older pic of Maggie.......

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7d736b3127ccec276f0ad721400000010O08AZuW7Nm2ZtQ e3nww/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Yes, I am sorry I lost my Buddy too,:( He was my Heartdog. There will never be another like him.

IRescue452
01-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Could be frostbite. I guess we'll have to invent a way to find out. I have frostbite on my feet and I'm in pain at my friend's house indoors when she keeps it below 65F and I'm not doing anything but sitting. I'd think Autumn would have it since she's known to walk right through puddles of freezing rain, but if anything she wants to be outside more than what I let her.

lizbud
01-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I think I've figured it out. I examed paws yesterday and Maggie's paws
have more webbing between the toes, so it's almost like snoeshoes when
she walks around. Smokey has toes almost like humans, very little webbing,
so snow must get between his toes more.

Smokey didn't get any frostbite yesterday. He didn't stay out that long,
When it's this cold I usually stay by the door & limit their time outside
anyway.

chocolatepuppy
01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
lizbud, I don't know how cold it is where you are, but this morning it was -2* here. Within minutes Jake was doing the 'two step'. I started heading toward him in case he couldnt walk, as I can pick him up, but he came right to me and in the house! It seems Layla & Jake do fine as long as it's 15* or up.
Oh and Maggie and your kitty are adorable! :)

lizbud
01-22-2011, 12:45 PM
lizbud, I don't know how cold it is where you are, but this morning it was -2* here. Within minutes Jake was doing the 'two step'. I started heading toward him in case he couldnt walk, as I can pick him up, but he came right to me and in the house! It seems Layla & Jake do fine as long as it's 15* or up.
Oh and Maggie and your kitty are adorable! :)

Yes, it was -2 yesterday morning with -15 wind chill. It's a balmy 6 deg
this morning, but we have sunshine, which makes it feel not so cold.:)

I only went out yesterday to take out trash, so I wasn't out long, but the
dogs follow me everywhere.:) Ditto, Joey (the little black kitty in the pic)
He always manages to get into the pictures.:D

kaycountrygal
01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
lizbud, Thanks, I saw your Maggie pic. She is a very pretty dog... and your cat too. Good luck with your pics and a new sig. Sigs with pet pics are very helpful to me because I just cannot remember which pets go with which people. I started to say I have CRS but that wouldnt be very nice LOL. Kay in NC