PDA

View Full Version : Updated! What do you feed your dog/s?

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Just wondering what everyone feeds their doggies!?

I feed Nutro, natural choice at the moment.. I was feeding Solid gold, but my dogs had horrible gut rot!!

Hellow
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I would feed Reggie raw, but my moms health problems and the fact that me and my dad are not normally home until 4:00 pm makes us feed Bentiful.

wolf_Q
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Nature's Variety Prairie. Usually its the venison formula but I decided to try the lamb formula this time (Nebo hasn't done very well on lots of dog food, except venison formulas, but I realized I'd never tried a lamb formula). So far so good. I have a couple of bags of venison here too to feed after the lamb is gone or if Nebo starts getting an upset stomach.

I also have some Ziwi Peak venison formula that I mix in their dog food about once a day, they love that stuff, its like little bits of jerky. I have some Nature's Variety raw venison that sometimes I cook up (Nebo won't eat it raw :rolleyes: ) and mix in their food too.

Pam
03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (light formula). Ripley has sort of a funny tummy sometimes and this is the best food for him. I actually bought the light formula because Bella girl has to watch her weight :p and now they are both benefitting from it. :)

mugsy
03-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Breeder's Choice Active Care Lamb and Rice for all of them and I mix Breeder's Choice Pinnacle Duck and Potato for Shawna and Sophie...they don't care as much for the lamb, but they need the glucosomine and chondrotin.

binka_nugget
03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
I feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I would LOVE to feed raw again as soon as I find better suppliers. It just got ridiculously expensive with three dogs.

ramanth
03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Solid Gold Holistique Blendz. Once we found a food that Chipper tolerated, we stuck with it. :)

Ginger's Mom
03-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Ginger gets a mixture of Evo reduced calorie dry food (what I want her to have) and Merrick Cowboy Round Up dry food (what she wants to have), and she gets two teaspoons of Evo canned (usually venison) mixed into her dinner serving. Ginger says she wants to move in with Nebo because she loves venison.

pitc9
03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
I feed Pro Plan Sensitive skin and stomach.
I know it's not the best food in the world, but Sierra has a VERY funny tummy and that's what works for her. About 6 months ago or so I tried switching to Wellness but Buddy had an allergic reaction to it.

By all means I know there are other foods that I could try that would be better for my pups, but this is what works for them and it has for about 5 or 6 years now. I'm not going to try to fix something that isn't broken.

Ramble On Rose
03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I have been feeding my 3 Nutro Ultra Holistic, but have been reading a lot of negativity about the Nutro company lately. So i'm gonna switch. I don't have a feed store near me so I got Petco and Petsmart brands to choose from. I'm thinking i'm gonna try them on Avoderm by Breeder's Choice. It seems a bit better and cheaper. If that isn't good with them, i'll get Natural Balance.

finn's mom
03-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Raw for Finn and Pinnacle (Trout and Sweet Potato) for the little ones. :)

Spiritwind
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Currently I am feeding 4 of my dogs Canidae.. and 4 of my dogs Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. All get their dry food mixed up with a little canned food (1 can between 8 dogs) and a little warm water.. mixed all up in a bucket and scooped out to their bowls.

Glacier
03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
The working sled dogs eat Acana "Red" in the winter. I think it's actually called "Performance Formula". High fat, high protien. In the summer they get the Acana "blue" which has slightly less fat and protien. Keeps the summer weight gain to a minimum.

Ozzy eats Acana Extreme, which as it's name implies, is very high fat, high protien, super calorie dense. I can not keep weight on Ozzy. He gets dangerously skinny very quickly. The Extreme formula is designed for dogs working under extreme conditions, like running the Iditarod in -40C. Ozzy eats it year round, even when he's doing nothing in July!

The senior girls and Earle eat a mixture of Acana Senior and Ripley's Ranch Senior Holistic. My friend sells the Ripley's. I'd feed it straight, but it's too expensive so I mix it with the Acana. The dogs do well on it and I get to support to my friend a bit too.

All the dogs, except Pirate, Earle and Paxil, have their kibble heavily supplemented with wild game, beef, and salmon. Lots of bones are available for chewing at all times. Earle and Paxil have chronic pancreatitis and can't handle any extra fat. Pirate gets the runs from one milkbone. It would be ugly if she got raw meat!

Sirrahsim
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Ginger is happy and healthy on Purina Puppy Chow :)

Kfamr
03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I recently switched from Innova EVO Red Meat to Nature's Variety Prarie.
I'm not as happy with the ingredients in Nature's Variety, but it's much cheaper.

I may be switching back to EVO or something similar soon. Just have to decide what I want to feed them.

They also get their raw meals on occasion. I haven't been feeding it as often as I'd like.

k9krazee
03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
We're feeding Nutro Natural Choice.

gemini9961
03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Raw for mine.

beeniesmom
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
(dry) Nutro natural choice lamb and rice
(wet) Merrick or (wet) beneful cups (alternate days)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Nutro for both my girls!
Sadie is on the senior formula, and Rita is on the Lamb & Rice formula

Freedom
03-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul kibble for all 4.

For Ozzy, his food has warm water added and let sit for several minutes. Then drain, add several heaping spoons of Merrick Turducken, mix and feed.

I've tried Merrick canned Senior Medley, and also Mediterranean Banquet, but he throws up on both. I don't try anything different with him anymore.

For the other 3, add 2 heaping teaspoons of canned pumpkin.

lute
03-10-2008, 07:48 PM
I feed Canidae ALS and the occational merrick canned. My dogs are doing amazingly well on it.

cali
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Raw and EVO RM. mostly Raw, but they get the EVO when were lazy..or sick.or in a hurry, or just plain old out of of anything raw to feed them lol, sometimes we are only lacking meat so they will get the veggies, and yogurt and eggs with EVO as the "meat".

Flatcoatluver
03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Innova Evo for Zoey since she has sevure allergies.

T.j and Sage are fed chicken soup for the dog lovers soul.

bckrazy
03-11-2008, 03:44 AM
I feed Raw. =)

For occasional kibble meals, I switch between a few kibbles that I like and that my dogs like, just for variety. Right now it's Orijen, Taste of the Wild, and Natural Balance... I do feed Evo from time to time, too. Like Cali said, they get kibble if I'm super busy, I forget to thaw meals, or I'm away.

kittycats_delight
03-11-2008, 04:06 AM
Artica was eating Royal Canin Medium Adult but about 3 months ago turned away from it. So I was on the hunt for a good quality kibble. We don't have many of the brands you guys have in America. We settled on Almo Nature Medium Adult and she loves it. She also gets half a pouch of Almo Nature Wet with her evening meal. Her favorite wet includes caviar, sardines, chicken, tuna & egg. The wet food is all natural with no preservatives or additives.

anna_66
03-11-2008, 09:06 AM
It just got ridiculously expensive with three dogs.
Tell me about it! Trying to find meat on sale is crazy. I'm running really low now. I'm going to have to order a whole hog soon.

I'd like to have some kibble to give them when I run low, but honestly there's none that I've found that Bon does good on. EVERYTHING gives him gas and cow plop poop:o

I have gotten a couple of packs of Freshpet Select (http://www.homestyleselect.com/products/slice-serve.htm) and they seem to do pretty good on it. But then again I only give it a couple times a week.

Denyce
03-11-2008, 10:02 AM
We feed Sequoia Innova Red Meat and have since last April and the horrible pet food recall.

When we got her we had her on Nutros natural. After a few months on that she looked wonderful but then she started having seizures. We assumed it was epilepsy. She would have them about every 2-3 months. We switched her to the Innova Red Meat and she stopped having seizures. She had one very small one last August that lasted about a minute. She hasn't had one since. It is expensive but wow... :eek: I wouldn't switch her off of that now for the world.

One seizure in almost a year. Just from switching foods. I don't know what but I am not questioning it..*knocking on wood now*

Denyce

Seravieve
03-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Nature's Recipe Lamb & Rice for the three.. with some water. Zeke eats at the speed of light so we put water in to slow him down some.

Jessika
03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Currently mine are on Canidae but we're switching to the Lamb & Rice formula to try it out.

lute
03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Currently mine are on Canidae but we're switching to the Lamb & Rice formula to try it out.
I've heard lots of good things about the lamb and rice formula. I have heard it is a little too rich for some dogs.

Scooter's Mom
03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
*sigh*

Right now I'm feeding "The Goodlife Recipe". They love it. The dogs actually PREFER fed them only the cheaper brand. They don't like the expensive brands... I've tried about 6 different kinds and Merrick is the one they liked the best (and neither will touch the peas!). So, until I get all of my hospital bills and cardiologist bills paid off... this is what they're getting.

The vet says they're healthy, so that's all I care about at the moment. Plus, they're active, energetic and are so loved. I realize it's "Crap" food according to most everyone else, and I would love to continue feeding better food... but they're not suffering from it. They're in great health (except for Oreo who was ill when we got him)...

elizabethann
03-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Fenway gets a mixture of Merrick and Fromm's for his dry food. For his wet food, he gets Merrick.

For snacks he gets peanut butter or cheese.

And once in a great while I give him a marrow bone.

dukedogsmom
03-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Canidae. Best thing I did for Dasher. He just loves it and I know it's a really good food. There's only one place here that sells it. I'm just glad I didn't have to order it on the internet.

The home cooked food I was ordering didn't work out at all. Dasher was hungry all the time plus he got the trots a lot. He loved it but it just wasn't enough.

anna_66
03-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Well, I finally broke down and bought a bag of dog food since I was out of food and couldn't find anything below $2/lb in the stores:o

Mark and I both were so stressed out trying to decide what to get. There's just so many different types of food out there.

We finally decided on Solid Gold Wolf King. Why? Well, I seen it said Bison...hey, why not try something new.

I don't know how well it will work for them, but I don't plan on feeding it more than 1 or 2x's/wk. So I guess we'll see.
Bon liked it...he started eating it right out of the bag:D

I'm a happy camper today. I went to a local small market and found a good amount of food for the dogs from between $.69 & $.99/lb:eek: I was in heaven!
The man behind me wanted to know where the cookout was (because I had so much meat.) He was shocked when I told him it was all for my dogs:D:D

RobiLee
03-12-2008, 11:08 PM
My three are eating Eagle Pack kibble and can food. it seems to be what works for them.

crazyboutanimals
03-12-2008, 11:59 PM
they get whatever is in the Fridge :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: just kidding, they are both on Purina adult dog food, and they LOVE it... they eat it up like crazy. there fur is shiny soft and smells good too :rolleyes: ..

Scooter's Mom
03-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Right now I'm feeding "The Goodlife Recipe". They love it. The dogs actually PREFER fed them only the cheaper brand. They don't like the expensive brands... I've tried about 6 different kinds and Merrick is the one they liked the best (and neither will touch the peas!). So, until I get all of my hospital bills and cardiologist bills paid off... this is what they're getting.

They're down to half a bag of the Goodlife stuff. So I bought some Nutro Lamb & Rice small bites to mix in and try to get them to enjoy as much! Here's hoping this will be one they eat willingly.

Danegirl2208
03-16-2008, 12:53 AM
I feed chicken soup for the dog lovers soul half the time and raw the other.

Jessika
03-16-2008, 03:00 AM
I've heard lots of good things about the lamb and rice formula. I have heard it is a little too rich for some dogs.
They've been on it for about a week now, but today Charlie's been really sick. Diarrhea all day and he even threw up a few times (but not since noon or so, it's been 12 hours since he last threw up). Tried pepto bismol and it seemed to help for awhile, but I had to get up at 2:30am to let him out again (I woke up to what I thought was gagging sounds like he was throwing up again but he wasn't) and now I'm up... /sigh.

BUT I'm not sure if it's related, I mean it's been over a week on the new stuff and we introduced it slower than usual, but it isn't even a new brand just new formula. :( I'm thinking it's something else but I have no idea what he could have eaten, besides cat poo, and he eats that all the time.

bckrazy
03-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Aww, Jessika. I'm sorry to hear that Charlie isn't feeling well. =(

Gonzo never did well on any lamb-based kibble. He does alright with occasional meals of raw lamb... but lamb kibble always upset his tummy. Maybe he is just now getting sick, because he's eating mostly lamb & rice. Have you spent the last week mixing the two kibbles?

Jessika
03-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Aww, Jessika. I'm sorry to hear that Charlie isn't feeling well. =(

Gonzo never did well on any lamb-based kibble. He does alright with occasional meals of raw lamb... but lamb kibble always upset his tummy. Maybe he is just now getting sick, because he's eating mostly lamb & rice. Have you spent the last week mixing the two kibbles?
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure since Hubby is the one who feeds them now that I'm in school.

I let him out this morning though and he did his "poopy walk" and no diarrhea so I'm hoping whatever he got was just temporary!

HoochsMommiee
03-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Canidae for large breed puppys

sammy101
03-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Nutro Natural Choice Lamb& Rice small bites and Pedigree canned. I usually add some cheese or egg too.

shepgirl
03-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Raw - chicken, pork, beef, venison and salmon. Egss, yogurt, cottage cheese, mixture of veggies. Lots of meaty bones to chew with every meal.