View Full Version : Miss Bumpy Head - UPDATE #34 - Going to the vets!

Kfamr
03-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I noticed this morning Nala has a few bumps on her head.
My dad said he noticed one or two last night (I called him to see if he had given her anything different than usual, he didn't.) They really haven't been in the yard much (we have a tornado warning right now) so I can't think of anything.

She's acting completely normal - ate, drank, pee'd poo'd this morning. Not itchy at all and doesn't seem any different than usual.

She DOES look a bit goofy though... :p
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/frailwit/July8th/bumpyhead.jpg
(I had to make Mufasa sit and stay back there, he kept trying to get in the picture. All four of my dogs go a bit nuts when I get the camera out. :rolleyes: )

Anyhow, I've been keeping an eye on her and if they don't go away we're going to get some Benadryl and see if that helps.

crazyboutanimals
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
it might me some kind of insect bite??? or maybe, and allergy??? mmm, it is hard to say. good luck

Pam
03-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Kay, that is the strangest thing I ever saw. I guess they just appeared out of the blue? I am thinking maybe they are insect bites also. Give her some *get well* hugs from me.

Husky_mom
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
it does seem like an allergic reaction (either food or bug bites)

maybe she had her usual meal only this time she got the "bumps"

if often happens to me, sometimes I get lil itchy bumps and i always claim it was a mosquito bite, but sometimes itīs no mosquito season so I think it mustīve been something I ate...something I normally eat... which is confusing... anyway hoping she gets better soon.....

pitc9
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I thought about bug bites as well.
Wow Kay, I've never seen anything like that! :confused:

I hope the Benadryl does the trick!

lizbud
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Wow Nala, how'd that happen? I also thought an insect bite. Maybe a
spider? Hope you find out what it is.

Kfamr
03-07-2008, 11:47 AM
The bumps seem to have gone down already. I'm wondering if it's their food as she had just eaten breakfast 15 or so minutes beforehand.

I recently (about a month ago) switched them from EVO to Nature's Variety (soley because it's cheaper.) I may have to switch back!

cyber-sibes
03-07-2008, 12:15 PM
That is strange. Hope it just turns out to be an allergic reaction. Please bestow a kiss on her poor bumpy head from me.

Husky_mom
03-07-2008, 12:17 PM
mayeb she developed an allergie to one of the ingredients...

in my case I canīt eat egg at all... but I eat thing that contain egg... soemtimes I get lumps sometimes I donīt... I think itīs the quantity involved or just how Iīm feeling that day :rolleyes: who knows

just keep an eye on her and see if they become more frequent... if so... you might wanna switch back... unless hseīs in pain I see no inconvenience with lumps rather than being annoying....

some dogs have tuna allergies.....

Ginger's Mom
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Hmm...that is odd. I agree with you and everyone else, I would have to say an allergic reaction to something. Let's hope she hasn't suddenly become allergic to kissed on the head. ;)

Kfamr
03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm really thinking it's something in the air now. The bumps have gone down quite a bit. I'll be getting some Benadryl to help her out if it happens again. What dosage does a 70ish pound dog need?

Here's a pic from a few minutes ago..
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/frailwit/bumpyhead2.jpg

Ginger's Mom
03-07-2008, 03:05 PM
You can give 1-2 mg. of Benedryl per pound, depending upon the severity of the allergy. And you can give that dosage twice a day. Glad to hear that her bumps are going away; you know I have always had a soft spot for that big girl.

Husky_mom
03-07-2008, 03:24 PM
not sure if this helps
dosage calculator (http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/pet_dose.htm)

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/benadryl.htm

this one looks to what Nala has... but couldnīt find what caused it... it was under allergy only

look the bordeaux in the first pic... I deleted it cause it was HUUUUUUGE..

http://www.goodsearch.com/SearchImage.aspx?Keywords=dog+allergie

ETA: I just foudn out also it could be hives...
Urticaria can best be thought of as "hives", more properly called wheals or little bumps and swellings that occur in various locations on the skin. These too will appear suddenly and may persist for some time, or seem to disappear and reappear again. These hives may or may not be itchy for the dog. ((Hives))

Sudden reactions to insect bites and inhaled pollens are considered the usual initiating factors, but reactions to foods, bacteria, chemicals, drugs, vaccinations and parasites among others can set these reactions into full swing. Both conditions may be very irritating to your pet and angioedema can be life threatening if swelling of the throat or fluid leakage into the lungs occurs. Diagnosis is based on history and obvious clinical signs.

lizbud
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Hard to believe the two pics are the same dog & on the same day. :confused: A little magic going on here Nala. :)

ramanth
03-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Glad the bumps have diminished. Puzzling as to what caused it. I give Kia two pills of benedryl twice a day and she's about 48 lbs.

chocolatepuppy
03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Oh no Nala! I'm glad the bumps went away. Could be an allergic reaction. About a month ago, when it was in the 60's in the middle of winter , the side of Laylas nose swelled up. At first I thought the puppy clipped her. Then the other side started swelling up. I gave her Benadryl and stayed up late to watch her. It went down some and by morning it was gone. I figure she got bit or stung by something outside with the weather being warm that day.
I gave Layla one 25mg. tablet and she is about 70 lbs. If she wouldn't have responded, I wouldn't have hesitated to give her one more.

beeniesmom
03-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Glad the bumpies are looking like they are going away.
They actually looked like Hives to me.
Frankie gets those after his bath every month. I use a hypoalergenic special no soap shampoo and he still gets them. They usually go down in 8 hours with a benedrly (spelling hahah). I think you can give Nala 2 regular benedryls. Frankie gets 1 and he's 30 lbs. Hope this helped.

Pam
03-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Let's hope she hasn't suddenly become allergic to kissed on the head. ;)

haha! Now wouldn't that be a horrible thing! :p Nala I am so glad you are better. It was hard seeing you with *bumpies.*

Karen
03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I thought maybe she had decided to grow antlers, but I guess not!

I am glad, to be serious for a sec, that they were not itchy. The times I have had an allergic reaction involving hives, they itch like mad!

K9karen
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Maybe her brains are getting too big for her head! Sorry, sweet pumpkin..I'm glad the bumps are getting better. Nala reminds me so much of Cody. Look at her face! Those big eyes with the ears back. Awwww.

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! Your pups go crazy at the camera in a good way. My poor goober goes nuts in the worse way.

Hellow
03-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Sometimes in humans in very stressful situations you can see a persons veins/arteries rise up. Mabye that is what happened here?

wolf_Q
03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Hope Miss Bumpy head's bumps are gone now! She's cute even with them though. ;)

caseysmom
03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Growing up our shepherd got those all over, we were pretty sure he disturbed a bee hive.

Kfamr
03-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Poor girl has hives again today. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the high pollen count. This time it's on her sides too.

She didn't have them until they were outside (in the screened in pool area) for about a hour and a half while I was grooming Mufasa out there.

Guess we're just going to have to give her Benadryl frequently. I'm going to call the vets Monday (closed already today and closed tomorrow) and see what he thinks.

chocolatepuppy
03-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Poor Nala. :( I hope the Benadryl helps.

Giselle
03-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh poor thing! I've never actually seen that before!

Eek, if there's one thing that creeps me out, it's hives :o I can stand creepy crawlies, but little bumps always give me the shivers!

Kfamr
03-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Either the Benadryl is working or it's because they haven't been outside for about a hour. Her bumps are gone at the moment.

Will someone tell her drowsiness is a side effect of Benadryl, cause she won't stop running around. :p

anna_66
03-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I was just wondering how miss bumpy head was doing;) I'm glad to hear they're gone!

And I'll tell her about the benadryl if you want, but I don't think it will matter...lol!

Karen
03-08-2008, 07:18 PM
That drowsiness is a side effect of Benadryl only works on some people - never did with me, then again, it gave me a massive headache, and didn;t alleviate my allergy symptoms enough, so I wouldn't have been able to be drowsy anyway, still snuffling and blowing my nose.

Poor Nala has that thin Dane-like coat, so the pollen has easy access to her skin. Hmm, can you hose her off when she's outside? That might help. Hopefully it is just whatever specific pollen is happening right now, and that it will go away soon.

I know, send her North! It's still too cold up here for pollen - how does she feel about bunnies? ;)

Kfamr
03-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Karen, Nala is giving you an evil glare for suggesting I hose her off.
She says she puts up with being wet once a week (their weekly baths) and that's enough! :eek:

As for bunnies... she's never had a personal encounter. She likes cats, doesn't chase them... just cuddles. I don't think Miss Hoppy would be getting close enough for cuddles anyhow. ;)

Jods
03-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Mercedes gets them like that when she gets bit by mosquitoes they go down quite fast too.

Freedom
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
How odd! Glad that you are keeping on top of it, and pleased that she is better; TWICE!

Anytime you need dosage info, you can always phone your pharmacy and ask them. I have even phoned an ER/24 vet hospital and they've been willing to give me dosage info by phone.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-09-2008, 01:30 PM
How is miss Nala doing today? :)

They get baths once a week? LUCKY pups! ;)

Kfamr
03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
It's getting worse. :( Nala woke up this morning with hives completely all over her body. She seemed to be a bit itchy (itching her face mostly.) We hadn't even been outside or eaten anything yet. JUST woke up.

I called the Vet and we will be going to the vets today at 3:40.

Gave her a bit of benadryl with her breakfast to help her a bit.

wolf_Q
03-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Poor Nala. :( I hope the vet will be able to figure out what is causing this!

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Miss Nala, I'm sorry you are itchy! Hopefully the Benadryl works quickly and the doctor will figure out what's giving you the hives. Feel better soon, pretty one.

Lori Jordan
03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Poor Nala,sending good vibes your way,Im sure everything will be figured out,Never in my life have i ever seen such a thing.Did the vet suggest anything?

pitc9
03-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Oh MY!! :eek:

I hope the vet has an answer for you!

WELOVESPUPPIES
03-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Awww, poor Nala. Duke got like this one time years ago when he got a tick on him. We went for a walk in the park and the next morning I found a tiny tick on him. Not long after I removed it his entire body got hives all over just like that. His third eyelids even swelled and were protruding out. He had not been neutered yet at the time and lets just say that his manly parts were probably at least 3 times their normal size and strawberry red!!! He ended up with a cortisone shot and taking benedryl for a day or two. But he did not get all itchy (if he was he did not show it).

I will be thinking of her. Please give her some kisses from me.

ramanth
03-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Poor Nala! Hope the vet can cure those hives quickly.

beeniesmom
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Oooh, poor baby.
That REALLY looks exactly like what Frankie gets after his bath.
I hope it's nothing more than a little allergy to something.

k9krazee
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh poor Nala! Hope it gets resolved quickly!

K9soul
03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Oh poor Nala girl :(. Tasha developed a really bad reaction last fall to something. It seemed to start out minor and I thought she was just a bit itchier than usual. Then one day it suddenly seemed to escalate badly and she was shivering and had hives all over. I had recently had her on a different food and took her off that. She went to the vet and got a shot and also a little course of prednisone, Benadryl didn't help her. The hives healed up and went down and never came back. My highest suspicion is the food. It had salmon in it which she had never had before. The vet said it could have started out a minor allergy but kept building up in her system to become worse and worse, similar to someone who is allergic to bee stings having a worse reaction every time they are stung.

Anyway, I hope Nala can feel better soon and you can find and eliminate the culprit. If she's been on a new food lately I'd try changing that first. Even then it took Tasha a week or two to really be more herself again.

chocolatepuppy
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh no, I hope they find out quickly what's wrong with Nala.

Alysser
03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I hope it's nothing serious. :( Poor Nala.

lizbud
03-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Poor baby Nala. I don't think I've ever seen a hive reaction like that.
Does she have them on her paws too? Hope they can figure this out and
she's not too uncomfortable.

cassiesmom
03-10-2008, 04:37 PM
checking in ... it's 4:35 in Chicago, 5:35 in the Eastern time zone so I thought I'd see if Kay and Nala might be back from the vet. I'll check later. ((HUG))

Kfamr
03-10-2008, 04:38 PM
For $80 the vet told me just about everything I already knew.. "could be a bug bite, reaction to food, seasonal allergies, etc." He gave her a shot and recommended that I keep her on 100mg of Benadryl (50 in morning, 50 at night) for a week or so.

Of course, when we arrive at the vets she didn't have a single hive. :rolleyes:

chocolatepuppy
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Kay, how old is Nala now? Lacey developed allergies the summer she turned 6. They usually don't go away. She's worse in the summer than winter. Hopefully it was just a reaction to a bug bite. I'm glad she's ok.

lizbud
03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
For $80 the vet told me just about everything I already knew.. "could be a bug bite, reaction to food, seasonal allergies, etc." He gave her a shot and recommended that I keep her on 100mg of Benadryl (50 in morning, 50 at night) for a week or so.

Isn't that the way. :) maybe you could show the Vet your Nala pictures
so he knows you not just imagining this. Has there been any changes made
in the house? New paint, or carpet,etc?

Cinder & Smoke
03-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Has there been any changes made in the house?
New paint, or carpet, etc?

They have new TILE down on a lot of the floors in the house ...

KAY ~
Are you using some new Cleaner on the floor tile that she may never have been exposed to?

Any new chemicals used in or around the pool?

I'm sure it wasn't the first time one of the Vet's patients showed up with
the ole Vanishing Symptoms problem!

Kfamr
03-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Nope.. no new cleaners (we use the swiffer DRY and vacuum daily.)
No new chemicals around the pool, either.

She's always had slight allergies this time of year but nothing this drasitc. If it aint one thing it's another... :p

K9karen
03-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Like going to the dentist...no toofache

kallisto4529
03-11-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh poor Nala, I just saw this, how is she doing now Kay??? poor girl, that has to be miserable for her, hope you get to feeling better girl. lots of hugs.

Jods
03-11-2008, 10:25 AM
poor girl I hope whatever is bothering her goes away!

cassiesmom
03-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Of course, when we arrive at the vets she didn't have a single hive.

But you have photos of the hives, in case the vet would need to see them. How is she today? I wonder what has made her break out in hives. I hope they are going away and she isn't itchy. more [[[hugs]]]

cloverfdx
03-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Oh no, sending healing vibes Nala's way {{Hugs}}.

Giselle
03-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Oooohh, those bumps are sending shivers down my body. Pardon my kid language, but they give me the heebie jeebies :p

I hope Nala's immune system stops reacting to those allergens soon, whatever they may be!

RobiLee
03-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Checking in to see how Nala is doing.

beeniesmom
03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Is Nala any better?

Freedom
03-13-2008, 08:27 AM
So frustrating to deal with specially if it IS allergies. Trying to pin down 'allergy to WHAT?" makes me crazy.

Praying that this is all short lived, and the meds do the trick!