03-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Azurey has gone to the Rainbow Bridge. :(
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2087421#post2087421

*Not much of an update - but Pam and Azurey were in the news - link Post #19. *

Update Post #23

Update Post #31

Update Post #34

Update Post #38

My MIL's friend, Pam, sent her the following email this morning. I figured the more prayers the better. This is one of my worst nightmares realized.

URGENT PRAYERS NEEDED!!

Ok, here's the story.
I went running this morning before work (around 5 am). Our German Shephard (Azurey) is full of energy and loves to come running with me.

So I got fully set up....reflective vest, ect. And off we went. There is about a 1/2 mile stretch of our run in which there is no sidewalk, and is very open farmland. We were running there around 5:30 and a car sped past and slammed into Azurey, just missing me by inches, sending us flying into a ditch. I immediately stood up and started waving my arms. The car noticed it hit somebody, slowed down to a stop, then drove a way.

SOMEBODY called the police. I don't know who. I ran to the closest house to call Scott to get us. Azrey was unable to walk and was very hurt.

We took her to the Animal Emergency Hospital and she is currently undergoing testing. Bones in her pelvis area are broken, and she is bleeding (the blood coming from internal issues). Things don't look good for her.

I am SO nervous and am just pacing the house and shaking, not sure what to do. I feel so horrible that this happened. She was on a short leash, I was VERY refelctive, and we were running on the shoulder of the road (actually in the grass!).

That horrible person not only wasn't watching AT ALL, but knew it and chose to leave us for dead. I am losing my faith in people today! I just can't believe it happened.

Please pray for us. I know she's "only a dog", but any animal lovers out there know how hard it is to have anything happen to "only a dog".

As I was writing this, I got a call from the hospital. She's stable currently, but has at least 4 fractures in her hip joint, and is still bleeding from somewhere. The doctor said that this is "concerning."

I'll keep you posted.
Pam

Ginger's Mom
03-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Prayers for Azurey. Athough Ginger and I do not jog, I am always afraid that she will become frightened when we are on our walks, pull away from me and run in front of a car.

Cincy'sMom
03-06-2008, 12:22 PM
How awful!! Lot of thoughts and prayers for Azurey

Karen
03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Prayers on the way for the woman, the dog, and the driver - that he or she feels guilty enough to turn him- or herself in.

pitc9
03-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Prayers have been sent for Azurey. :(

It's bad enough when a person hits an animal and keeps going, but to have almost hit a person also and keep going. OMG...

Hellow
03-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Prayers sent for Azurey, the woman, and the driver. Wishing Azurey a fast recovery.

critter crazy
03-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Oh MY!!!! How sad!! Many prayers coming their way!! Get better soon Azurey!

Cinder & Smoke
03-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Hi God ~

Nudder Pup needs Big Tyme Help down here onna Durt Ball ...
Azurey wuz being a Good Pup stickin close to Mom - an gotz *hit* by wunna thoze
durn auto-mobiles da Hoomins race around in ... :(

Please hop onna Silver Klowd an help da White Coats finish fixin her up so's
she can
romp & run wiff her Mom again.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Freedom
03-06-2008, 03:27 PM
How awful! Prayers for all concerned, from here in RI.

shais_mom
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
how scary! your mom's poor friend.

prayers sent.

chocolatepuppy
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Prayers headed out for Azurey.

DJFyrewolf36
03-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Prayers on the way :(

Pawsitive Thinking
03-07-2008, 05:24 AM
That is dreadful - I hope Azurey recovers and that driver gets whats coming :mad:

Pam
03-07-2008, 05:54 AM
This is heartbreaking. I wonder if the driver would have come back if they thought they hit a person. Probably not - too afraid of the consequences I guess. Well I hope their conscience will bother them forever. I hope Azurey will be able to recover.

pitc9
03-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Any word on Azurey???

cyber-sibes
03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
That's horrible! Prayers for Azurey, & your friend. I can't believe that person stopped & then drove off without checking on her - what a creep. :mad:

shais_mom
03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
is there any news?
this just makes me sick to my stomach...

sparks19
03-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh gosh that is horrible. I am so sorry. Prayers on the way.

ramanth
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Azurey and Pam in the news:

http://fox17.trb.com/

Scroll down and choose 'Dog Hit and Run' video.

The family lives in Dorr, MI, near Grand Rapids.

Continued prayers needed.

critter crazy
03-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Awwww....poor Azurey looks so sad in the video!! I sure hpe the Police can find the A**hole that did this to her and her owner!!:(

Taz_Zoee
03-07-2008, 02:59 PM
LES watching the video. :( Poor Azurey. I'm glad she made it on the news. I hope those people are found. Or I at least hope they feel horrible for what happened.
I will keep Pam and Azurey in my thoughts.

Grace
03-07-2008, 03:14 PM
That poor dog. Prayers heading out to the entire family. And prayers that the MSP find the creep who hit Azurey.

ramanth
03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Pam writes:
There was a successful surgery today. Zur will have more surgery on Monday. So far, so good. Will keep you posted.

And some pictures from better days:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/Zurhitandrunvictim3708.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/Zur3.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/ramanth/misc%20images/Zur2.jpg

kallisto4529
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
This just makes me completely sick@! What rotten sorry you know what's to do that and leave!!!! Tons of prayers going out, hopefully Azurey will get better and be able to pull through this. I tell ya it is stuff like this that surely does make you question the world we live in today and to make you loose a little bit more faith in the human race. :mad: :(

kallisto4529
03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I was typing as you were posting, Thank God so far so good!!!! The pics are beautiful thank you for sharing, I love the one where partially hidden by the curtain that is adorable. :D

lizbud
03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
More prayers going out for Zur. It's a shame she has to suffer for
someone else's carelessness. She is a beautiful dog.

shais_mom
03-20-2008, 10:38 AM
is there any news on Zur?

ChrisH
03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Such an awful thing to happen. Prayers on the way.

kimlovescats
03-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I couldn't find the video, but I pray that this poor pup will heal completely. I also hope the sorry person who did this will be caught and punished!!!

ramanth
03-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Over the weekend I heard from my MIL that Zur had two successful surgeries and was stable. I'll give her a buzz and find out. :)

Kim, if you go to that link and search 'dog', it'll bring up the 'Dog Hit & Run' link.

ramanth
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
From Pam:

Thanks for the message. It doesn't look like we'll ever catch the guy. In fact, I think the police have given up the search. They're pretty sure the guy was drunk. He had gone off the road two times before hitting us. Aside from the medical bills and a handicapped dog (for a while), things turned out ok. I learned my lesson not to run in the dark, who knows, maybe it was God's way of teaching me a lesson so that next time it wasn't me! With those blood thinners I'm on, I would have bled out in the ditch and instead of a story on a hurt dog, it would be about a body found!

God is good, all the time!

Thanks-
Pam

Cinder & Smoke
03-21-2008, 12:01 AM
From Pam:

Aside from the medical bills and a handicapped dog (for a while), ...

/s/ Pam

Well ... reading 'tween the lines, Zur must be sorta OK ...

I gather a bit got lost in the translations ... :rolleyes:

Maybe try again tomorrow ... kinda STRESS we're askin How da DOG is ...

:D

Freedom
03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Her tone does sound more calm, relived, so I am also thinking this means Azurey will recover.

Continued prayers for all involved.

ramanth
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
MIL forwarded this today:

Azurey is doing excellent. Although she's not supposed to, I actually saw her running with her friends (Sal and Neba) in our backyard today. She has lost a substantial amount of weight - 32 pounds. But the vet is not concerned, unless it continues. Actually it's kind of good, less weight to carry around on those shattered bones.

:D

Thanks for those prayers!

cyber-sibes
04-23-2008, 02:43 PM
That's great news about Azurey. She is a beauty, with a spirit to match.

Freedom
04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
Aw, her mom must have been thrilled to see her moving at speed with her buddies! (Even though she wasn't supposed to be doing it.) Keep on the road for recovery dear Azurey.

lizbud
04-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Wonderful news. :) Thanks for the great update on her. I'm hoping she
makes a complete recovery.

ramanth
06-30-2008, 03:14 PM
Yesterday, Azurey underwent a third surgery. The theory was that a pin was sticking out and rubbing her skin from the outside. That would account for the still-open wound after 3 1/2 months, and her lack of appitite and extreme weight loss. The doctor removed the infected area and reclosed the wound, but ran a bunch of blood tests (a full blood panel - EXPENSIVE!!).

After opening her up, they found that everything was actually where it was supposed to be, and, in fact, Zur was doing that to herself because she's looney! She was given OCD meds (obsessive compulsive disorder) to try to ease her urge to bite at that area.

The orthopedic surgeon was concerned on a few different levels. He said that he's never seen an orthopedic surgery manifest itself in this way. And he's pretty well known!! He's even had people come to him from the UP and other states! When Azurey was admitted to the surgery center in early March, she weighed in at 105...now she's exactly 60 lbs. He's suspicious of possible internal injury - maybe causing a trouble in liver function or something...

This is hard for us because we assumed she was "out of the woods" by now. We've bought puppy food for her and are now feeding her table scraps like mad. I really hope we can get her to gain weight, and that this isn't the slow progression of watching her starve to death. She's hard to want to pet - it's like touching a skeleton with fur!

Aside from the weight loss, she's completely herself. I've always known she was OCD. I suspect she got it from her mother, and that personality flaw, although annoying, is quite endearing.

She's recovered from surgery just fine and is really mad she has to wear a "lamp shade". She enjoys going through openings that are too small for her, and knocking down Isaac with her new jewelry. To anyone who doesn't know her story, she would appear to be a crazy hyper dog who's skinny.

We'll get test results back in the next 7-10 days. I hope all we find out is that she's looney as a toon!

Thanks,
Pam

cyber-sibes
07-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for updating. Continuing prayers for this girl's recovery. That amount of weight loss is pretty frightening. Has your friend heard of the BITE-NOT collars? Much less cumbersome to maneuver around in, but still keeps those teeth off their boo-boos.

(wow - look at that: this is my 7,777th post!)

Freedom
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, that is SOME update! (Could you retitle with the new info thread number?)

Azurey, so many people are thinking of you, praying for you, we want a full recovery and none of this scaring everyone to bits! Please dear one, settle down a bit. Healing thoughts and prayers for you, my lady, from RI.

Lampd shade, Isaac, he heee. At least there is a comical side! Let us know what shows up, it best be OCD from the sounds of your post.

ramanth
07-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Well, that is SOME update! (Could you retitle with the new info thread number?)
I wanted to, but it wasn't an option when I clicked 'edit'. :confused:

boomersooner
07-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Best wishes for a full and painfree recovery....People like the driver just frustrate me to no end...why do people feel they have to speed.....you can't have control.....in a neighboring suburb, we just had a family of 5 killed on their way home from church...a guy traveling 98 mph in a 40 mile zone..went airborne.....I just don't know what goes through these people's brains....it makes me soooo mad..okay, rant over with...I know Azurey and you are going through some rough times, but thank the good Lord it could have been soooo much worse....I pray for the animals and people on Pet Talk every night when I say my prayers....

ramanth
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Azurey was sent to the rainbow bridge Sat. Nov. 8th. :(

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2087421#post2087421