PDA

View Full Version : New feral kitty soon to arrive...UPDATE 9/30/07

moosmom
09-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Freedom has been posting about a feral kitty, (Midnight) that needs socializing. Tomorrow I am meeting a woman from Freedom's rescue organization to pick Midnight up in the hopes of trying to get her to come around. She's about 12-13 weeks old and has been in a foster home. Kim, the foster mama, said that she's fine and purring when she's confined to her crate. But the minute she gets her freedom, she wants nothing to do with humans. We'll just see about that! ;)

I'll post pictures once she's settled in.

I've asked Freedom if I could change her name, as black kitties with the name Midnight don't place very well. THAT on top of being feral, the odds are stacked against her. I'm thinking a long the lines of Olivia or Cha-Cha.

Any suggestions??

Catty1
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
I was thinking "Sweetheart" or "Licorice" or "Nugget".

I thought of the first one because it's a name that is (almost) impossible to say in anything other than a loving tone of voice.

"Spritzer"? Nice form of "Spitfire"!

Looking forward to pics...I know you will have her happy in no time!

lvpets2002
09-13-2007, 11:30 AM
;) Oh how about Nickita.. Hey a baby at 12-13 weeks of age will be easy to calm from being a feral.. With space & time & a calm enviroment & this baby will becoming as tame as can be.. Good Luck with this wittle one Donna..

Karen
09-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Jellybean!

Cause some people love the black jellybeans best, and there's nothing at all scary or threatening about a jelly bean!

Medusa
09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
You got him relatively early in life so I'm sure w/all the love and attention that you'll give him that he'll come around. Good luck and bless you for being a friend to ferals. That ain't easy! :)

Catty1
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Karen - I was TRYING to think of that name...and got Licorice! :D

moosmom
09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Medusa,

The foster mom has had her for 2 months and so far she has't come around when she's loose. I'm hoping that with my guys she'll feel a little less threatened.

The sad part is that they were going to put her back out with the feral colony she was found with. The only problem is the colony isn't around anymore and she'd be alone. Just the thought of that precious little girl out on her own alone tugged at my heart strings.

Karen ,

Jellybean sounds like a great name!!

lvpets2002
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
:) Donna = JellyBean was Karen's Idea & not Catty 1.. Oh I sure hope they dont turn this baby back into the wild.. I just know you can help this one.. She just needs a little more time & patience & a calm enviroment..

krazyaboutkatz
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Donna, I sure hope that everything will work out and that you'll be able to socialize her. I was also thinking of the name Jellybean.:) It reminds me of the black shelter cat story. Good luck.:)

Catty1
09-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, Karen DID suggest Jellybean. I had read the story about Jellybean (all of them! :) ) and was TRYING to remember the name...I forgot.

Closest I got was Licorice! :rolleyes:

Oh well - still sweet either way!

moosmom
09-14-2007, 05:48 PM
SHE'S HEEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!

I picked her up this afternoon. She is PRECIOUS!!!! Alll black with big green eyes!! I've got her in a small dog crate in my bedroom and my cats are just sitting around it watching her. I have a feeling she's going to come around in no time. I'll post pictures of her once she's settled in.

DrKym
09-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Donna if anyone can break through it is you! Candles lit and anything you need just ask!

Love and Hugs
Kym

Freedom
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Oh Donna, I AM pleased! This is so wonderful for her, to have another chance at socializing. Once she settles and you can hold her, give her some hugs from me. And no matter what you name her, she will always be one of my traplings (is that a word? Who cares!)

lvpets2002
09-15-2007, 11:16 AM
:) ;) Hurray WooHoo you now have her Donna.. Pictures when you can.. Oh I just knew this wittle one would be alright & settle with you.. Great Thanks

moosmom
09-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I came home from work toight and went into see her. She is NOT going to be in that cage for very long. I was kneeling down petting her and she was purring away. As I was petting her butt, she got the "elevator butt" going. Then she started pushing her head in my hands to be pet some more. I'll give her another day or so and see how she does.

WOOHOO!!!! Making progress. :D

Catty1
09-15-2007, 10:06 PM
OOO, so close! She'll just purr and elevator-butt and headbump her way out of that cage before she knows what's happened!

And then you'll get cuddled by Donna, widdle girl, and you will be just FINE! :D

moosmom
09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
I've named her Ali, :D and she is now out and about!! We'll see how well she does.

DrKym
09-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks Donna! and LJ says you ruined her and she expects you to ruin this baby.

I Know this girl will bloom under your care.

moosmom
09-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, little Miss Ali is back in her crate. She had the run of the apartment last night. Then she hid under the bed so I couldn't reach her. So, it's back to her crate she goes.

She might be a tough nut to crack, but I got all the time in the world. :D

Catty1
09-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Was she being wild under the bed, or just nawtee? ;)

Playing games with her new meowmie?

Lexie Joon is having a good laugh, right Kym? :)

You'll have that little one like putty in no time.

Bless you for doing this!

DrKym
09-16-2007, 01:46 PM
LJ is giggling her days away ..........I keep telling her that her other Mom is being tortured by not getting the kitten cuddles.Lexie just grins !!

Donna you will have Miss Thing a ball of mush in no time!(in the interim I will just keep soaking in LJ snugglies!)

moosmom
09-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Believe it or not, she got out of the crate (I guess I didn't shut the door tight). Fortunately, I was able to get her and put her back briefly. I then took her out and held her (very loosely). She was sleeping in my arms to 2 hours while I watched a movie. She could've easily have jumped down but she didn't. I have a feeling it won't be long now.

Catty1
09-16-2007, 02:12 PM
awwwww! Donna, you have the magic touch! :)

Freedom
09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Then she hid under the bed so I couldn't reach her. So, it's back to her crate she goes.

If I remember the story properly, she has been playing at this game for a while now; which is why she almost got released! I bet you can figure a way to convince her otherwise! Good luck, and keep enjoying those 2 hour movies with a cuddly one!

DrKym
09-16-2007, 07:30 PM
TOLD YA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

moosmom
09-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Sandie,

She's out again and doing much better. I have this track with a ball in it and she goes NUTS over it!! Kim told me this was the kind of game she plays, so it isn't a surprize.

She's not as jumpy as she was and is coming out into the living room where me and the kids are alot more than before. Hey, it's only been 2 days since she got here so to me, that's progress!!!

jennielynn1970
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Wow, sounds great!! Tigger here is NOT happy with the other kitties and hisses and poofs up, lol. So, he's been in my library for a week, but he's doing well and playing with me when I'm in there. Hope he'll loosen up like your Ali did!!

moosmom
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
The crate is down and in the closet. She's sleeping in MY chair while I'm sitting on the floor online. Progress I tell ya, PROGRESS!!! :D

Catty1
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Pictures! Pictures!!!! :d

Donnaj4962
09-19-2007, 07:37 AM
How wonderful! I am anxious to see pictures!

moosmom
09-19-2007, 01:16 PM
Cuddling with mama.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_3198.jpg?t=1190225509

High atop the cat tree

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_3194.jpg?t=1190225586

In MY chair relaxing while I'm on the floor (wouldn't want to disturb my little girl)
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/deploss13/DCP_3200.jpg?t=1190225689
She's making herself right at home!!

Grace
09-19-2007, 02:00 PM
She is adorable, and looks like she really enjoys creature comforts. Still just a hint of wariness in her eyes.

You do good work, Donna.

Freedom
09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
In MY chair relaxing while I'm on the floor (wouldn't want to disturb my little girl)

Way to go, Ali! Get that hooman trained properly, right from the get-go! :D

Freedom
09-19-2007, 06:19 PM
I sent the link to this thread to the prior foster mom. Here is what she wrote:

I just talked to Donna and I'm thrilled with her progress.Thank you so
much!!!!

I also sent the link to the admin folks. Here is the reply:

This is the kitten that wouldn't tame and was suggested he go back out? You're friend is amazing. Is she keeping him/her?

OK, Donna, take a few bows, you deserve it!

moosmom
09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
Sandie,

Aw gee. *blushing* I'm staying "mum" about keeping her. We'll have to see. The last thing I want is to take 3 steps forward then have to take 5 steps back simply because she is rehomed. If she's happy here, so be it!! What's one more poop in the box, right??

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

fragrancehound
09-19-2007, 11:17 PM
She is just beautiful! Her coat looks so shiny too.

gini
09-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Oh Donna, what a little mite!! Keep up the good work - she looks pretty easy to fall in love with!!

It took me so long to get Emma calmed down and shoo away her fears...........but we made it - and now at 5 years of age she is a real cuddler,
but on HER terms only.

I had a gang over to watch a football game and she actually came into the room with everyone there. I about fainted - but the minute we acknowledged her she split back under the bed.

Rascal of course, was spreading his extra fur on everyone's pant legs. But then, he arrived with that personality when he was a stray.

Ali is a beauty!

krazyaboutkatz
09-20-2007, 12:30 AM
I'm so glad that she's settling in and becoming much more relaxed. She sure is a cutie pie.:) You do great work Donna. Please keep it up.:)

Medusa
09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
She is just beautiful and knows her mom when she sees her. Hint, hint. :p Good job!

moosmom
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
My daughter came over to see her and I had to drag her from under the bed. She's fine with me, but terrified of strangers and I've got the scratches to prove it! Once Amy left, she was like a purring machine. Go figure.

Medusa
09-20-2007, 06:14 PM
My Pidge was the same way, terrified of strangers and stayed out of sight when visitors came. She didn't bite or scratch me, though. However, now she's very friendly and actually walks amongst us peons. :p She'll come around, you'll see.

moosmom
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM
She was terrified. Man, the scratches hurt, but she never laid eyes on Amy, so I understand why she did it. It's a good thing I trimmed her nails! :p

DrKym
09-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Donna she is stunning..........so is this your newest member?(will shut up but will annoy you online)

I have my 2 black cats total black like her Greed and Envy, they also are bit leery of new things but love the mama. :p

fragrancehound
09-21-2007, 10:41 PM
I love her. She reminds me of my Magic.

moosmom
09-22-2007, 11:00 AM
She's doing great! She adores MooShoo. She's coming out of her shell a little bit everyday. When I feed them canned food at night, she comes running looking for her dinner.

Last night I was sitting on the living room floor feeding them bits of ham and she was right beside them!!

My one fear is that she's only getting used to me. I'm afraid that if she's placed with anyone else, they'll have to start all over again. When my daughter came over the other night, she was terrified and hid under the bed.

Catty1
09-22-2007, 11:41 AM
Maybe have your daughter come over for a quiet visit, armed with treats and a wand toy, and let Ali come out to investigate on her own.

Donna, my Oscar was a wild baby, and even now he won't hide, exactly - but he keeps a far distance with new people and then slowly comes over.

Heck, he was even scared of the new ball-in-plastic-ring I bought yesterday! (though he was playing with it this morning! :D )

What I am saying is, Oscar was wild for at least his first 2 1/2 yrs...so I am sure Ali will come around. :)

kimlovescats
09-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Donna, GREAT JOB! Is only getting used to you, a bad thing? ;) My black Bonnie girl was a feral too. She circled around us by about 5 feet for a year in our garage before finally coming in close enough to be petted! Now she is the first to hop in your lap! She still is skittish when one of us approach her on foot, but if we stand still and call her she will usually come and rub against us. We've had her 5 years now and she is a love!!!

Kim

moosmom
09-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Kim,

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with her being used to me. :D I'm still on the fence as far as keeping her. 5 cats is alot in a 2 room studio apartment.

She is really doing remarkably well considering she's only been here a week. I'd love for her to cuddle with me when I sleep, but I know that's a long way off.

DrKym
09-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Uh huh like what a week?

Sorry Donna but she is your baby as sure as LJ is mine

moosmom
09-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I got the surprize of my life this morning! I woke up and saw her sitting beside my bed. I put my hand out to pet her and she put her head in it obligingly!! She LOVES head scritchies!!

She's here to stay!! :p

Catty1
09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Awwww, how sweet! :)

Now Kym, no I-Told-You-So's, ok? :p ;)

Freedom
09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
I got the surprize of my life this morning! I woke up and saw her sitting beside my bed. I put my hand out to pet her and she put her head in it obligingly!! She LOVES head scritchies!!

She's here to stay!! :p

OH YIPPEE! I just saw you are keeping her in the Isis thread, then rushed over here to check up. Sweet lucky little one, I am so happy for her; AND you!

Medusa
09-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Thought so. Chuckle, chuckle....

moosmom
09-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Baby steps, a couple everyday. When I put my hand out and call Alicat or Cookie, she comes running up for scritchies! I bend down and she'll come up looking for love. I think it's gonna be on her own terms, though. And that's okay. She doesn't hide under the bed anymore either.

The guy I adopted Lexie Joon from called to ask me if I'd be willing to adopt a 7 year old female whose owners moved away to Palm Springs!! Poor thing. I'm waiting for a return call. I gotta be nuts!!