PDA

View Full Version : Unsure... help

Nobas Mom
06-27-2007, 11:06 AM
Okay, so I know there is really no such thing as a stupid question... but this may come across this way. Noba has been neutered since February. My fiance's dog Sadie is not spayed. She went into heat about a month ago and has been out of heat for about two weeks. For some reason, her milksacs are dropping???? :eek: :eek: :eek: She has been sleeping a lot and eating a lot as well. Noba is the ONLY dog she was around during her heat cycle. Can dogs have phantom pregnancies, or is it possible the neutering didn't work???

luvofallhorses
06-27-2007, 11:09 AM
tell him he needs to get her checked out. did she get out recently out of the yard?

Nobas Mom
06-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Nope, Sadie has not gotten out of the yard at all... and there are no openings for any other dog to get in. The only dog she has had any contact to was Noba.... :confused:

luvofallhorses
06-27-2007, 11:15 AM
was Noba neutered when you guys went to visit Sadie?

Nobas Mom
06-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Sadie lives with us now. Noba was neutered back in February and she had her heat cycle about a month ago...

luvofallhorses
06-27-2007, 11:23 AM
I'd get her checked out. usually when dogs go into heat their nipples enlarge AND I'd get her spayed as soon as you can. :) how old is she and what breed is she?

Nobas Mom
06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
She has been out of heat for two weeks and I just started noticing the milksacs looking like they are dropping. We had plans to get her fixed in the next month or so. She is almost 3 years old and a beagle / lab mix.

luvofallhorses
well I am glad she will be spayed soon. :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
Yes, Sadie could be having a false pregnancy. I would have the vet check her out as well. I doubt that the neutering did not work as they remove the testicles.

buttercup132
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
My dog went through a false pregnancy too and she laxtated and showed every sign of being pregnant and even got bigger. Just turned out when we went to see how many puppies she had there was none.

Giselle
06-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Even if she is pregnant, you can still spay her if she's still in the early stages. Dogs can indeed have false pregnancies and it isn't uncommon. To be on the safe side, though, I really recommend you spay her now. Many vet clinics can fit you in by the end of the week, so there is absolutely no reason not to spay her immediately.

ETA: And when a dog is neutered, the testicles are removed completely and the tubes connecting to the former testicles are tied so the chance of the dog procreating is almost non-existant.