PDA

View Full Version : Solid Gold Dog Food???

tikeyas_mom
06-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Does anyone eles feed this type of dog food??..
We found out today that Ebony is allergic to Grains.. So we had to find a high protien Low Carb food for the dogs.. The only thing I could find was Solid Gold..
I went ahead and bought a 33lb bag of "Barking at the Moon High Protein, Low Carb Adult Dog Food"... Cost me about $70.00, crazyness... I dont know if I will be able to keep giving them this food on our budget...

Ebony hasn't tried it yet (she has no appetite because she just got spayed this morning). Daisy Rolled on her food?????,I guess because there is a VERY high amount of Salmon meal in it, it smells really grose and Fishy... Tikeya gobbled hers down so fast I couldn't count the seconds...

The bag is REALLy collorful, and sparkly... Makes me think the price is higher because of the packaging :rolleyes:

Kfamr
06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Solid Gold is a nice food.

It may seem expensive but because it is so high in protein and nutrients, you can feed less. :)

ramanth
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
I feed Kia and Chipper Solid Gold Holistique Blendz. $70!?!? It costs us around $35 for the large bag.

Chipper is doing great on it and even Kia is starting to scratch less.

tikeyas_mom
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Really only 35$??!?!
I envy you!

The bag cost exactly $58.00 before taxes, then after taxes it came to $66.00... It must be easier to get in the states, and cheaper..??

Aspen and Misty
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
One thing I've learned from liveing with Konnor, my allergic to wheat doggie, is that your dogs don't have to eat the same food. Nova eats Chicken Soup while Konnor eats Pinnacle. The Pinnacle is almost twice as much as Chicken Soup, but Konnor has been nice and healthy since he's been on it so I'm happy.

What Kay said is right though, I find Konnor is pretty full on 2 cups of Pinnacle while he could have eaten 4 cup of chicken soup.

Ashley

tikeyas_mom
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Well Daisy refuses to eat This type of Solid Gold food... So I might have to change it up again :rolleyes: .. I wish they would all just agree on a dogfood.. I wish they still sold Chicken Soup dog food here. But they stopped shipping it to my area for some reason.. Made me soo mad because I had Tikeya on that food for almost 3 years!!!! I really had alot of luck with that food.. I heard it got recalled a while back because of a certian ingredient in it?? Not sure if its true or not though.. I Think I'm going to take this food back tomorrow, no use in spending that much money if all the dogs don't agree on it.. ugh.
My local petfood retailer does sell the Holistic Solid Gold, But its the same price as the stuff I bought today...

cyber-sibes
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Hmm, Tikeya gobbled it down? We switched to Canadae, which both mine seemed to like, but Star's been pulling a hunger strike since we moved. I've been wondering what to try next. Maybe this would be it. Salmony, smelly,...sounds like a husky lure for sure! (It sounds like it must be like a bowl of Yummy Chummies.....mmmmmmm)

cmayer31
06-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I fed the Solid Gold Wolf King to Frankie for a while and she did all right on it, but I felt that she did better on the Natural Balance, so I switched her back to a non-recalled Natural Balance formula and she seems to be doing fine on it. $70 does seem steep for a bag though! I think I payed $42 for it, but the Solid Gold packaging plant is in the San Diego area, so it may be cheaper here?

I hope that you find something that Ebony can eat and that Daisy and Tikeya will eat.

finn's mom
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
It is definitely easier to feed one type of food, but it can be a lot cheaper to feed two or more kinds. Especially if one dog has a special needs diet. That sucks that she's allergic to grain. I have heard great things about the Solid Gold, but have no personal experience with it. Aspen and Misty mentioned Pinnacle, that is what I feed Freckles and Dudley, but I dont' know if they make a formula with no grain.

tikeyas_mom
06-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Well this is day #2 with them on Solid Gold.. And Daisy still refuses to eat it.. Ebony is hungry *I cought her Eating some of Oscars nutro earlier this morning*, but she wont touch the Solid Gold.. Ugh This is really frusterating.. Tikeya loves it.. But the other two hate it.. I a just so frusterated, I cant take the food back either now, because it has been opened.. So I basically spent $70 on Food for Tikeya.. and now I have to buy other stuff for Ebony and Daisy...

I'm sure they will get so hungry they will eventually have to eat it... right?? :eek:

Kfamr
06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
$58 CAD is about $54 USD.

A completely healthy dog will not starve itself. So, granted everything is okay with her, she will eat eventually. I would give in if she doesn't eat after a few days.

Try mixing a bit of water in. It usually coaxes many dogs to eat a new food(not hot water - destroys heat sensitive nutrients. Just room tempature water.)

I personally feed Innova EVO Red Meat - all of the EVO products are grain free. You may want to try that. Also, if you e-mail them telling them you are looking to switch to a grain-free food, but your dogs are picky, they will send your coupons for $5 off a bag.

Some other grain-free foods include:
Innova EVO: Dog & Reduced Fat
Nature's Variety: Raw Instinct
Timberwolf Organics: Wild & Natural and Ocean Blue
Canine Caviar: Venison & Split Pea Adult

tikeyas_mom
06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh wow thanks Kayann... I didnt realise that those foods were grain free, I know a petsote in town that sells Timberwolf organics, I will phone around and see if I cant find those other brands of food as well. I'll try mixing in some water first, to se4e if that does it.. I think Ebony has a bit of a sensitive stomache because of getting spayed, but Daisy has no excuse not to eat.

wolfsoul
06-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Total Pet sells the Grain-Free Go Natural, maybe try that? I bet Petcetera sells it too now. Bon Appetit has Innova EVO (including the low-fat one!) and Nature's Variety Raw Instincts. And the place downtown has alot of good foods, maybe they have something. Moira and Nature's Fare both sell Timberwolf Orgranics.

I would go to Bon Appetit first though, Gary will give you sample bags and if the dog doesn't like the food he will take it back even if half the bag is already gone.

Kfamr
06-13-2007, 10:59 PM
No problem.

If you can, I would go with Innova or Nature's Variety. Timberwolf tends to have really cruddy customer service, hence the reason I switched to Innova. :o