PDA

View Full Version : Mufasa... therapy dog?

Kfamr
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Mufasa is such a calm puppy who loves EVERYONE. He seriously is the biggest lover boy ever. It is so comforting to put your face into is soft fur.

I think he'd make an excellent therapy dog - visit nursing homes and stuff.

Anyone with experience with this, where would I go to get him certified? What training is needed?

Flatcoatluver
06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I think Moo would make a great therapy dog. T.j does this atleast every month. When I was first got started I was told he would need a CGC (canine good citzen) But by curiosity I started calling all of the nursing homes, and they haven't even hered of it. All they told me is that I need to have no choke chains, only buckle collers and need to be updated on all there shots.

It's a lot of fun! Both T.j and I love it. Most of the elderly are afraid of big dogs, but we have found a few people who love T.j soooo much. T.j pulls me all the way to that man's room.

elizabethann
06-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Fenway & I will be taking a weekend long therapy dog class in July. The test is at the end of the weekend. When I signed up, it was recommended that dogs have their Canine Good Citizen certificates (which he just completed about 1 month ago).

We're taking this class at the NHSPCA. Here's a link to it:

http://www.nhspca.org/training/classes.html

Maybe a local shelter near you will be holding a class? Good luck and keep us updated. If I was ever sick, I would feel 1000% bette with Mufasa by my side.

Blue_Frog
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe this might help?

http://www.therapydogsofsouthflorida.org/aboutpettherapy.htm

I used to take my ferrets to the nursing home to visit my oma and opa, and all the old folks just loved them to pieces -- my opas eyes would always light up when he saw i had brought them out, and several of the older folks would always ask after them. All i did was clear it with the nursing home before I started doing it, and always had copies of their vaccinations with me. Unforatunatly, what with both of my grandparents passing on, and one of the ferrets as well, I haven't had the heart to go back, but probabally should.

I think the vaccinations, permission, and possibly insurance might be needed? If you can join an organization that already does this, then you might be covered by their insurance as well :)

AdoreMyDogs
06-12-2007, 11:53 AM
This is the group that I got Graham certified threw. They are wonderful, and VERY thorough in their testing and evaluating. It's a wonderful organization and I recommend it. I think Moo would do well. Contact Delta Society and find out what to do next.

There's also Therapy Dogs International, which Kersey was certified threw, but they're not nearly as thorough in their testing and evaluating. I liked Delta Society's approach much better and they're more professional.

Delta Society Pet Partners (http://www.deltasociety.org/)
Therapy Dogs International (http://www.tdi-dog.org/)

Good luck and have fun :)

gardengirl
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I have done therapy work with my collies for 17 years. I've belonged to Delta Society and Therapy Dogs International. The advantage to getting certified nationally is that these groups insure you in case there is ever an accident. As the public institutions get more educated about this they eventually will all require some certification for their own protection.

It's a wonderfully rewarding thing to do with your dogs. It's fun to visit all kinds of populations. I've worked with Alzheimer patients, multi-handicapped children, stroke and brain-injured patients, and most recently kids with cancer. Finding what you enjoy the most is important, but it's just as important to find what your dog enjoys, too.

I have a website that explains how to get started in therapy work and lists all the national groups: http://therapydogs.net .

Logan
06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Kay, Lilly was never officially certified, but she did a couple of therapy visits before she got sick. She was up for her certification in late January, when she became ill. :( I have taken myself off of the therapy group mailings, so I can't even remember which organization they certify through.

All I can tell you is that it is one of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. It was good for Lilly and it was good for me. I hope Mufasa can do it. You will enjoy it and he will, too.

Logan

cassiesmom
06-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Moo's pictures are good therapy for me! I think he'd make a great therapy dog. The head tilt will just make people melt.

luvofallhorses
06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I think he'd be a great therapy dog! :)

Kfamr
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the links and info.

I read all of the "tests" on the website and I think the only problem he'd have is with another dog.

He has no problems with the dog, however, he will bark and bark until he is allowed to play with the dog. We'll have to work on that some more.

.sarah
06-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Moo would make a great therapy dog!

Kfamr
06-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm glad you think so, Sarah, since you've met him. He's just a sweet boy I'd love if we'd be able to help people together.

Giselle
06-13-2007, 03:10 AM
I certified Giselle with a local therapy pets group. They're greyt because everything is so personal and all the "tests" are pointed directly towards therapy work. It's like the CGC, but there are no long stays as it is completely against our legal contract to let go of the dog's lead. It also focuses more on the dog's ability to handle strange equipment and people, not so much obedience work which was a plus for Giselle as she's not the most obedient dog :p

They were a former chapter of TDI, I think, but TDI stopped doing chapters or something. Hence, my little group was formed. I love it, and the coordinator is such a wonderful person! I like the close-knittedness of it all.

K9karen
06-15-2007, 12:36 AM
Moo would make ill people feel so much better! What a perfect job for him! My hospital (my 2nd home these days) always has therapy dogs and they can't even leave the lobby to go to work because everyone stops and chats and pets and hugs. It's so wonderful and rewarding for sure! My mom missed Logan (and Cody) so much that when a beautiful GR came into her room, she burst into tears (happiness). You are so lucky to have found such an excellent dog (all of them, really). Once again, please nibble his fuzzy ears for me.

Genny
06-15-2007, 01:39 AM
cute picture of all your dogs on your signature, .sarah :)

kfamr, I don't know much about it, but I think it's great that you're wanting to visit nursing homes with Mufasa! Did you name him that from 'The Lion King' ??? We use to have a great pyrenees named Mufassa. We named him after Mufassa on the Lion King!! ;)

Cincy'sMom
06-15-2007, 05:47 AM
I don't remember how old Moo is now, but they have to be 1 before they can take the test. Should give you a little time to work on things. All 3 of ours are therapy dogs, and I am President of our local group.

Pawsitive Thinking
06-15-2007, 05:58 AM
What a wonderful idea.... you can't beat a good cuddle with a big, soppy dog