PDA

View Full Version : What should be in a puppy pack?

NicoleLJ
06-06-2007, 02:31 PM
When talking to some breeders I have had them tell me my puppy pack has too much stuff that the adopters will get when they get their puppy. Here is what they get:

The adopters of the pups will get a bag of food(enough for about a week) that the pups are eating at that time, all the paper work, Puppy info pack(this has training advice, what to expect as the puppy grows, breed info, parents info and so on), micro chip info since they will all be microchipped, a sample bottle of the puppy shampoo and sample bottle of the puppy skin and coat conditioner I use on them, a toy that has been with the litter, a small collar and leash, a homemade pillow that has their puppies name on it that matches their puppies collar color, a CD that has pictures and videos of their pup from birth till they pick it up, a framable pedigree, and a kennel.

I can't think of anything in there that I would want to take out. I could see them using and needing just about all of it, except teh pillow and the framable pedigree. Those are just fun things I will be including.

What do you all think? Too much? Not enough? Just right? What should I take out, include or so on? Just curious.

When I got Sheena all I got was her kennel and a small binder with a little bit of breed info and some poems and such and her paperwork. That was all. Which was fine since I had a lot fo the stuff already. Just curious to see what everyone thinks.
Nicole & Sheena (moms to be)

Whisk_Luva
06-06-2007, 02:37 PM
I think its just right! :)

Its Perfect :)

cali
06-06-2007, 02:42 PM
I think it sounds like a little much. one of my faverite things to do when I am waiting on a puppy is to buy them stuff while I wait, a lot of that stuff(collar, leash, shampoo/conditioner etc.. is all stuff I prefere to pick out myself before hand, its my way of dealing with the anticipation. all Misty came with was papers stating she is purebred etc.. her second worming pill with instructions, a bag of food and a little homemade bandana. Happy didnt come with anything aside from her papers. Electra came with her papers, microchip stuff, and vet records. thats it, to me that is plenty, its all I need because I got collars, leashes, grooming stuff, kennel, dishes, toys etc.. all long before the pup arrived.

Tollers-n-Dobes
06-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I think it's a little too much for a lot of people, but for some, it would probably be just right. I'm not even getting my pup until next spring and I already have 4 collars and a couple leashes, tons of toys, grooming supplies, a bowl, etc. for her. She'll use whatever shampoo I have in my house already for the dogs too. I'll also be getting her a crate when the time is closer. My favourite thing about getting a new dog/puppy (aside from bringing it home) is shopping for all of it's supplies. I wouldn't want a collar, leash, crate, etc. given to me from the breeder as it would take some of the fun away.

I think the food sample, picture CD, toy (or blanket) that was with the litter, and pedigree are good though.

Husky_mom
06-06-2007, 02:52 PM
I think is great...... maybe as you said the pillow and perhaps the collar and leash.....thay may already have bought one or just donīt like the color or something......and perhaps the kennel.....let them buy it ;)

all the other thing are great and I would sure appreciate all the included

as a first onwer I appreciate a food sample (to not buy another one and have my puppy sick from day one)
all paperwork and all the info (good literature to help me out onmy puppy quest)
the toy and perhaps a blankie with momma smell (to help the adjustment to a new home)
the CD, frameable ped. are a very nice touch since you see your pooch from day one......awwww.........

but whatever you want to add itīs great.......

NicoleLJ
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Everyone will get a list of what they are getting and if they tell me they already have it, like a collar or leash, or don't want it like the pillow. Then that will be fine. The collar and leash are a small set that will be out grown in a week or two. Same with the crate. It won't last long.

When I got Sheena I also had most of the stuff since I had been so many years in rescue I had multiples of all sizes. So if people let me know once they get teh list that they don't need or want it then that will be fine with me completely.

But for families like one we have where they have two small dogs so nothing that would fit the pup when the pup goes home this can be very convient and will give them a couple of extra weeks to take the pup with them and fine things to match it's personality. Either way is fine with me. :D

cyber-sibes
06-07-2007, 06:33 AM
I think it sounds nice. I guess it depends on the adopter - if they have other dogs, several of those items might seem unneccesary, but if they are first time adopters, it all sounds helpful.
All we got with ours were their paperwork, and I had to send for a framable pedigree. Heck, it's been three years and I still haven't sent for Sherman's! I especially like it that you include a cd with puppy pics & pics of their siblings & mom & dad. That's one thing I don't have that I wish I did - pictures of my dogs' parents. I'd like to see how they resemble them now, as adults.

BuddhaCalypsoMax
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
All I got with Max was his papers... I think you should let them buy the kennel though, they arn't the cheapest thing ever, but not everyone wants a kennel... The collar and lead are also a possibility to lose as they are generally bought before the exact dog is chosen, but I think everything else can stay, it's all SO CUTE!

AdoreMyDogs
06-07-2007, 12:03 PM
I think it's really special. I know I would have liked that with my GSD, Boone. All I got for Boone were his papers, including a frameable pedigree (which I haven't nor never will frame), some vitamins the breeder swore by, his guarantee information, and some diarrhea medication. To be honest, a leash and collar would have been nice because I wasn't thinking when I picked him out and we didn't come with a collar or leash. When we had to make a "potty stop" along the 2 hour drive home, I had to hold Boone by his tail while he walked around going potty because I forgot to pack a leash and collar and I didn't want my brand new baby running off. I had everything else, but it would have been nice and special if it were included.

I think it's very special and sweet. I hope the puppy buyers appreciate all the thought you put into this!

Sevaede
06-07-2007, 01:29 PM
That sounds so wonderful! Plus, it sounds like you have a plan (they will tell you what they already have, etc) in case some things are a "problem" (so to speak).

Would I be able to PM you for information regarding WS? I'd like my next doggie addition to be a big dog so I'm starting to think about research now (won't be looking to add another dog for a while, I don't think). :)

NicoleLJ
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks all.

AdoreMyDogs - That is exactly why I am doing it. Getting a puppy can be so exciting that sometimes things are forgotten. Which is fine. If they already know ahead of times that certian things will be here then they won't have to worry about that till they get back home.

Wenisrubber - You can pm me any time. Or email me. Either way is fine with me.

IRescue452
06-07-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd say it sounds great, but the kennel. Do people really get a small crate when they get a dog from a breeder? I've never heard of this. We have our own and just bring ours to pick up whatever dog. My grandma's dog were from breeders and she never got a crate. My girlfriend's airedales never go with a crate. They do get a toy and food and such, but never a crate. You bring your own kennel to pick up your pup.

Freedom
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
What a wonderful package! It is almost like a gift for a baby shower!

Whether the adopting folks will appreciate all that is a different story. I agree with many of the above comments that a kennel is really not necessary. You have a few on hand and can ask folks if they want one, but I wouldn't just give it to them. I for one have never used a kennel for our dogs.

The leash and collar is so sweet! Again, you can just observe and if they pull one out, keep yours. If they were so excited they didn't even bring anything, bring it out. I mean, these people don't just show up, you know when they are coming.

The CD with puppy pics is such a nice item. Oh, wish I had that. But there again, some folks could care less. I say keep that in there, it's not something they can pick up themselves at a later date!

You are showing a lot of thought in putting together something so special. I can well imagine other breeders feeling a bit . . . left behind, he he.

theterrierman
06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
If I were you, I'd veto the kennel, collar, and leash and leave everything the way it is. It's only a sample bottle of shampoo/conditioner, so it's not like the owners are going to have too much shampoo if they already bought some for the dog. Many people already have collars, leashes, and kennels, or buy them as part of the anticipation of having the puppy. The pictures, toy, pedigree, and parent's info are great things to have in the puppy pack. I'd say it sounds about right, except for what I mentioned before.

Andy

wolfsoul
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I think it sounds fine, except for the crate. Crates are pretty expensive; The only time I am sending a pup home with a crate is when I am shipping it to it's new home.
And the pillow -- some people take weeks to pick a name for their puppy. I would either use the pup's temporary name, collar colour, or family name like "Smith Puppy" or "Jonhson Puppy." I remember that Candy was Howler for a couple weeks, Omen for another couple weeks, Pink for a couple of days..Took over a month before she was Candy. Loki was Sonic for a month before he was Loki. Visa was Destiny for her first couple months of life.

Otherwise everything sounds good to me!