PDA

View Full Version : 7 years ago that I lost my Katz

Kirsten
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.catmom.de/katz/katz9.jpg
Katz - May 1, 1986 - May 3, 2000

Today, it's seven years ago that I had to let go my best friend, Katz, to the RB.

To those who do not know her yet, here's her story, as it's posted on her memorial page (http://www.catmom.de/katz/):

My beloved Katz...

...was born on May 1, 1986. Her mother Puma was an outdoor cat who lived in the garden of friends. When I lost my first cat Aysche from FIP in March 1986, they told me that their cat was pregnant and asked me if I would adopt one of the kittens. My answer, of course, was "yes".

On May 3, a warm and sunny day, I got a call: the kittens have been born. Cruelly enough, there were only two of them left - the other two of the litter have been killed right after birth because only two were going to be adopted; my Katz, a little tux girl, and one brother, a tabby like the mommy cat.

The same day, I went to their garden to meet my new kitten. My sister came with me. The moment I held this tiny little creature in my hands was truly remarkable, something I will never forget. I had never seen such a young kitten before, and she won my heart right from the start.

I visited her several times during the next weeks, and I saw her growing up. On June 17, when she was 6 and a half weeks old, I brought her home - way too young as I know meanwhile, but in 1986, it was still a common thing to take kittens away from their mommies at the age of 6 or 7 weeks...

The first time wasn't easy. Whether it was the early seperating from her mother, or the fact that she now had to live the life of an indoor cat I don't know, but she was truly a rebel in her first years. She was destructive and kind of aggressive, and my hands and arms were always bloody those days. Even though she calmed down when she got older, she was never a lap cat, and nobody was allowed to touch her but me. I think with the knowledge I have today, I could have made her life a bit easier.

But we always had a very strong bond. Sometimes she would hold her forehead against mine, and it always seems to be a magical act to me. She loved to sleep in my bed, and often she lied on my belly or back. She loved it when I held her paw.

She was having health problems almost all her life. At the age of 5, she was overweight and had asthma for a while. When she was 7, she started losing all her teeth. She also had to deal a lot with stomach flu and diarrhea, and during her last years, she threw up almost every day. The vet never found out what it was, but she suspected it was colitis. I always feared she might have had cancer, but this has never been confirmed. Her bloodwork was always fine.

For many years, she had feline acne and her chin looked bald and bloody. Later, she had many bald spots all over her body from excessive licking, and her belly was completely naked. Also, she seemed to have problems with her vision. Her eyes looked kind of blurry.

She never complained, and in her last years, she seemed to be happier and more relaxed compared to her earlier days. But in February 2000, she became terribly ill: First it seemed to be a stomach flu, and maybe it was, but she threw up about 70 times in 24 hours. It was a weekend, and when I brought her to the vet on Monday, she got infusions. After that, the stomach flu symptoms disappeared, but she never really recovered from this.

From now on, she never let me sleep at night. She always sat beside me, put her paw into my face and made these little "rrrr"-sounds. I think she felt that her time soon would come. I knew she needed my attention, but it was a hard time because I got no sleep those months, so I was hardly myself at work. I was a nervous wreck.

In the spring of 2000, I noticed she had troubles breathing. She also started coughing when I held her. At Easter 2000, it became especially bad, so I brought her to the vet ER. There, she was diagnosed with severe heart problems (Feline Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy), and lots of fluid in her abdomen and lungs. She got strong meds immediately, but her sick bowels weren't able to absorb the medicine. But I did not give up hope.

9 days after the diagnosis, Katz jumped onto the kitchen counter. I was cooking and as usual, she watched me. She had just eaten and played. Suddenly I noticed she was acting strange. Her forelegs were moving back and forth, and she was staring in the air, just as if she was taking a look into another world. She did not respond to me. When she eventually jumped down from the counter, she was stumbling and fell from one side to the other, she couldn't walk anymore.

Within seconds, I made the decision. I just knew it was time. I called my vet, and she told me to come over, even though it was almost 9 pm. While I took her to the vet, I apologized to my little girl all the time, but I couldn't stand seeing her suffering this way.

Half an hour later, she left this world, with her head on my shoulder...

There's one strange thing I will always remember. When Katz grew older, I often used to wonder if she was still me in the millennium night. I don't know why, but it has always been important to me to start the new millennium with my beloved Katz. When that night came, she would come into my bed, crawl under the duvet and rested her head next to me on the pillow, just like a human. She stayed like that all night, and it was VERY special. She never did that before, and never did it again. It was indeed a magical moment.

A couple of months later, she was no longer with me. She went to the Rainbow Bridge on May 3rd, 2000; two days after her 14th birthday and exactly 14 years to the day that I first saw her. We truly had a relationship that was very special.

Mein Kleines, you'll be forever in my heart, and I will always love you,

Kirsten

phesina
05-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Such a beautiful cat, and such a touching tribute to her. Thank you, Kirsten, for sharing with us the story of your lovely girl.

Pat, with LES

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-04-2007, 06:25 AM
What a beautiful tribute to your Katz! I am sure she meant everything for you, and this made it very hard to let her go... :(

kb2yjx
05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Kirsten, what a lovely tribute to your best friend! Sleep softly, dear, sweet Katz...

Kirsten
05-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Thank you!

I think I can really say that Katz and I had a very special bond, and letting her go was the most heartbreaking thing I ever did.

But I also learnt that such a loss is also a chance for something new. Luna would never have come into my life if Katz wouldn't have gone to the RB at that time. And now it's Luna who has a very special place in my heart, and I cannot imagine to be without her. Who knows what would have become of Luna if anyone else would have adopted her. Since she was born in a rural environment, she would have probably lived the life of an outdoor cat, and who knows if she would still be around. Not to mention her constant UTIs and struvite crystals, and all her peeing problems coming from that. Would she have gotten a proper medical treatment if she had lived on a farm? I seriously doubt that. Or would anyone else have had the same patience with her when it comes to her peeing and pooping outside the litter box? Sometimes I think it was good for Luna that she ended up with me...

Kirsten

Lori Jordan
05-05-2007, 07:22 AM
I feel your pain,Katz was beautiful,Memories will always be with us,She sounds alot like my ol Spot!Im sure there up there having a great time together!

I lost him a few years back he did the same sort of thing he came out of the kitchen and he was walking almost like he was drinking he was all over the place and he fell over and could not get up i rushed him to the vet and,He let out this meow,I think he was saying"Its time Mom,Let me go.

I swear he was gone before the vet even gave him the needle,They were the same colouring too!Almost identical.

Rest Well Katz!You are truly missed sweet one.

catmandu
05-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Katz was truly a wonderful Cat and shes now a General in the Pet Angel Army in charge of the Eternal Puppies and Kittens.
She makes sure they all have thier wings and are having a wonderful time wherever they may go in thier travels all over the World.
Shes been writing down all the places you can go together when you are reunited.
One Fine Day.

rosethecopycat
05-07-2007, 07:17 PM
7 years seems like a minute, and 7 years like a thousand.

There will come a time when we won't recognize time, and it will be like we never were parted, we'll only know: forever and always.

One Fine Day.