PDA

View Full Version : Special needs cats

smokey the elder
01-21-2007, 07:55 AM
I was wondering if other folks here who rescue do anything special to promote special needs cats. We have quite a few in my group: two diabetics, several with special dietary needs, quite a few FIV+, and just plain seniors (10+ years old.) KFamr said she placed some cats through Craigslist. This might be a good thing to try (thanks, Kay, for the idea!)

One thought I had about diabetic cats would be to encourage a (well-regulated and responsible) diabetic person to adopt one. They could coordinate testing and maintenance with themselves and the cat!

Catty1
01-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Sounds like a neat idea. If you have a local office of the Diabetes Association (not sure what it is called in the USA), they likely publish a newsletter - online as well as hard copies.

Give them a call - see what they think! Your organization might get a free ad in the newsletter, or even a writeup.

What a great chance to place some hard-to-place kitties!

I wonder if the same would work for the FIV kitties?

smokey the elder
01-22-2007, 07:28 AM
I'm reluctant to do that for the FIV kitties. I think HIV/AIDS is a much higher maintenance thing for humans, and if an HIV+ person were to adopt a cat, a lower-maintenance one might be best. (I wouldn't refuse an adoption.)

Lizzie
01-22-2007, 12:05 PM
In regard to the FIV+ cats, I haven't found mine to be high-maintenance. I know they are more likely to get infections, although mine have resisted the colds of both my Siamese and the kittens, but that just means a quicker trip to the vet and a longer course of antibiotics. You are right in believing them to be absolutely low maintenance, of course, I just always like giving a plug for my hunky FIV+ boys.

Another possible resource for potential adopters of diabetic cats is a new forum on Best Friends. They are about to start a discussion group on caring for diabetic cats with both B.F. and veterinary people and generaly carers of diabetic cats taking part. It's aimed at both education and support. I'm afraid I deleted my network mail with the link but sending a query to that site will get you the information.

You might also try the kind-to-kind idea with the senior cats. I must admit that as I get older, I appreciate kittens less and older cats much more.

Good luck with the adoptions.

smokey the elder
01-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Another local group calls what they have Senior-to-Senior. I'm not sure about the success rate, though.

Lizzie
01-22-2007, 12:25 PM
At 59, I'm not ready to call myself a senior yet. Perhaps your group could come up with a more fun phrase. "Gently used" ;) perhaps, like a consignment shop tag. You want to aim at people who might not want the bother of a kitten but are still active enough to cope with the work involved in properly caring for a cat or cats. Mid-lifers for mid-lifers? Must go, I'm at work and being naughty.

jennielynn1970
01-26-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm reluctant to do that for the FIV kitties. I think HIV/AIDS is a much higher maintenance thing for human

Lizzie... I think you misread Smokey the elder...

He was saying that for HUMANS HIV/AIDS is much more high maintenance.

My FIV boys are wonderful, and the ones who have good immune systems are not high maintenance at all. One that I had, who is now at the Bridge, had chronic upper respiratory infections and was on Immune Support and L-Lysine as well as Baytril for most of his bad infections. I had HEPA filters running for him constantly, but he still had a lot of breathing and sinus problems. Seems like I was always cleaning his nose, the poor guy! Loved him to death though, and wouldn't have changed him for the world, except to make him healthy again.

jennielynn1970
01-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Another local group calls what they have Senior-to-Senior. I'm not sure about the success rate, though.

The other really sweet place for senior cats is the Purrever Ranch...
http://www.gotcats.org/sanctuary.html

It's site just makes me cry... I just can't imagine someone throwing away an animal, any animal, because it is old and frail. What has happened to humanity???

Medusa
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
I really don't have any suggestions for this one. I ended up keeping all the special needs cats that crossed my path and now I only have one "normal" one. :p Never have regretted a day of it either.

Blessings,
Mary