PDA

View Full Version : To All Rescuers and Fosters

Catty1
07-24-2006, 10:09 PM
The Starfish Story

adapted from The Star Thrower by Loren Eiseley
1907 - 1977

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

lute
07-24-2006, 11:06 PM
that is so wonderful! very encouraging!

jenluckenbach
07-25-2006, 05:13 AM
A very wise way of thinking, especially when we feel we can't possibly solve all the problems.

catmandu
07-25-2006, 09:06 AM
I think of All The Cats that need help, and I just have to feed the ones that I can.
I know that there are hungry ones out there, as the feeding stations need refilling twice a day.
I have adopted three, rehomed with help 6, and had 5 who were too ill become Angels.
Its hard,but I live for Cats.

Chilli
07-25-2006, 10:00 AM
So very encouraging! It reminds me of how my mum always constantly tells me "You can't save them all". And I always tell her that if I can make a difference in just one life of an animal, thats doing something.
I'm glad you posted this. :)

Zippy
07-25-2006, 10:25 AM
that is one of the best storys i have ever read.

Bronx'sBower
07-25-2006, 01:30 PM
[COLOR=Black]Thats an awesome story and so so true! We rescued our first boxer last Thanksgiving but he was so sick and when he crossed the rainbow bridge we thought about buying from a breeder...that is until we saw Bower. Look at this picture and tell me how this little guy got overlooked so much he was almost put to sleep himself?
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/blondieblue98/Bower.jpg

Exactly what we said....so we may now have a "mutt" BUT I wouldn't change it for the world...

GreyhoundGirl
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
How encouraging ! ... It reminds me of one of my favourite sayings:

Adopoting just one dog won't change the world, but the world certainly will change for that one dog.

P.S. Not that it's bad to adopt more than one dog... :rolleyes:

Sudilar
07-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Ahh, yes, how we would love to save them all!! Sometimes it is so disheartening. There is always "one more". However, it does make your heart feel good that you can help save "some".

pitc9
07-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I should print that and hang it on my fridge so that I read it everyday and maybe one day I'll start believing it and stop feeling so guilty for not being able to save every animal that I know needs help.

dionne
07-27-2006, 12:31 AM
that was great!! i loved it! i wish i could remember how foot prints in the sand went...

momtomany
07-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I copied and printed this beautiful story and will keep one here at work and one at home. I really needed this today as I have become so discouraged. I feed two colonies daily and I have 10 of my own and sometimes it is overwhelming. I am working on spaying and neutering each cat, but I can only do one at because of the expense. I will keep plugging away and try to remember that I am making a difference. Good daily food, water and loving (for those that trust me) is far better than living off the land with no one to love them and care for them. Thanks for this story.

Reachoutrescue
08-15-2006, 01:44 AM
THAT IS VERY INSPIRING TO US. THAT IS HOW ALL OF US RESCUERS AND FOSTERS FEEL. THANK YOU FOR SHARING IT WITH US. :)