View Full Version : caged small animals(cleaning and hay ? )

ashleycat
07-10-2006, 06:48 PM
or even house small animals that have cages.. How do you keep up with the messes from the hay? When I had the 2 rabbits, I kept dropping hay everywhere.

What about those hay cubes? Are they just as good? I tried giving those to mine and they could care less about them and preffered the loose hay.

And is it that when there is only one bunny, they are less likely to do territorial droppings all over their cage? Is there anything I can put around it to keep them inside?

I have a toddler to keep up with also.

dab_20
07-10-2006, 07:52 PM
You can get hay racks at petco and petsmart. Many rabbits do not like hay cubes, and in my opinion I think it's better to give them regular hay.

Sorry, don't know the answer to your second question.

Khay
07-11-2006, 07:55 AM
No, they need regular hay. The fibre and roughage they get from it is important.

You can get a hay rack, and keep the bag of hay next to the rabbit's cage.

I don't mind the hay, I just sweep it up once a day.

They are less likely to leave territorial droppings if they are spayed/neutered. If two rabbits are bonded, they won't leave territorial droppings.

They need to be spayed/neutered for a proper bonding.

It isn't good to have just one rabbit, as they are herd animals and crave the companionship of another rabbit.

ashleycat
07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I had 2 males and they weren't properly bonded, so maybe that was my problem. The seemed happy, but they were really messy and one started picken on the other one. So IF I do adopt, I will look for already bonded pair.

I'm still in the IF stages right now. Just doin research.

buttercup132
07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Since your just getting back into bunnies I wouldnt suggest running into getting 2. Especially if you were to loose one. You would have to be with the lonley bunny ALL the time or get another bunny get them spayed/.nutered and bond them. Wich is long process. The rreason yours picked on each other is I'm guerssing they werent nutered and being both male with raging hormons they attach each other no matter what even if theyy were littermates and grew up together.

I also answereed your pm for the other questions.

ashleycat
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
They were both neutered by thetime I tried to bond them. So I'm guessing it was because they were both boys. One was lil bit older than the other. One was really calm and laid back. And the younger was rambunctious and destructive no matter how much I let him out. I don't know how many cage floors I replaced.I made them using kitchen vinyl with NIC style!

buttercup132
07-11-2006, 04:00 PM
What was your bonding process like?(how did you try and do it)
I'm still bonding Ted and Baby and have been for a while. Car rides are the best way because it some how paralizes the bunnies:confused: But not in the way that they cant move.
But you could put a male and female bunny in the car that are both not fixed and they wouldnt mate.

As for the other bunny, I know this dosent always work but sometimes it help. Was he surrounded by toys and thigs to help stimulate his mind?

ashleycat
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, when I put them together I let them mount it and get over it lol. And they were grooming and not fighting so I thought they could stay together in one day. I didn't do it gradually. But they did exist in the same room for a year so they knew each other existed. And yes, he had stuff to chew n stuff. He was just bored with them. He was hard to please. Then I made a big play yard outside, and he seemed to like that. They use to have free run back yard, but one got under the fence some how. Then I made the play yard.

buttercup132
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Hmm thats a bad case bun then lol. Fixed with those issues:confused:

Where are you located?
I know alot of people who run their own rescues and they could probly find you a nice match for your personality and life style.

I know its still a IF though.

Khay
07-11-2006, 05:07 PM
I find bonding two males is very, very difficult, and the relationships are not very strong. (male-female bonds will have the strongest relationship usually, but please spay/neuter)

Car rides are great because it is stressful for the rabbits, and the cuddle each other and use each other for support.......

An alternate way is to put them in a kennel together on TOP of the washer during spin cycle =)

buttercup132
07-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Heres a site with a bunch of sites of bunny rescues in Texas

http://www.adoptapet.com/RABBITS/US/TX/NAME/1

Karen
07-11-2006, 06:20 PM
We have Miss Hoppy's hutch in a room without carpet, so we just sweep up the hay. Hay has been known - okay, just about is guaranteed) to kill vacuum cleaners, in our experience!

ashleycat
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
That was my mistake, they were in a carpeted room. And yes, it kills the vac lol

ashleycat
07-11-2006, 11:10 PM
:( hubby wont let me get a bunny :( He said no more pets.

Anyone know where I can get a freakishly realistic plush bunny?

Roxyluvsme13
07-11-2006, 11:21 PM
:( hubby wont let me get a bunny :( He said no more pets.

Anyone know where I can get a freakishly realistic plush bunny?
LOL! Just sneak one in.. ;)

ashleycat
07-12-2006, 10:03 AM
I did that with my mom once, had it for a whole week before she found out. lol

Aspen and Misty
07-12-2006, 11:23 AM
I honestly think I could sneak any animal (besides a horse or a screeching bird) into my room without my mom knowing. It could probably be there for weeks and no one would catch on. :D

I'm sorry you can't get a bunny. They are wonderful and I happen to have one very cute one looking for a home ;)

Ashley