PDA

View Full Version : Feeding puppies raw

wolfsoul
07-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experiences feeding raw to puppies. What kinds of things did you learn? I've never fed raw to a puppy before, but I'm going to feed it to Visa's pup, and all of my litters will be raw-fed.

Visa's breeder raised two litters on raw and found it too difficult because the puppies constantly rolled around in it and then they'd be covered in raw meat. She said she had to bathe them everyday. Is there any way to avoid this, or does it just come with the territory?

bckrazy
07-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I've obviously never raised a litter :) but, the breeder I was going to get my Corgi puppy from fed the pups raw from the time of weaning... which was about 4 weeks. At first, they got a pre-made raw mush with yogurt. It's the same as putting it into a food pan, so you'd have just as much of a risk of the pups rolling around in food if you fed kibble mush. After they could handle bones, they got rabbit or chicken. If they did roll in it, maybe you could just wipe them down with Nature's Miracle wipes or something?

Danegirl2208
07-09-2006, 10:58 PM
i dont breed yet but i do know a few people who have weaned their pups right onto a raw diet..Rachel, a Great Dane breeder, feeds raw to all her dogs including her pups, she knows tons about the diet, if you email her im sure she would be more than happy to awnser any of your questions..here's her site http://www.6stardanes.com/
just follow the link that says "send us email"

.sarah
07-09-2006, 11:15 PM
I raised Buck on raw. The only thing different is you feed 3 meals a day until 4 months old, then 2 meals until 6 months or longer, then 1 meal anytime afterwards.

For young puppies, start them on a mixture of raw meats, ground beef and ground chicken and/or turkey works well. Some breeders mix in goat milk, though personally I don't see a point since they are still nursing (and it is sort of controversial amongst raw breeders, kind of like whether or not feeding veggies is needed). If I were to breed a litter, I would add water for the consistency and keep the dairy in their diet limited to only mom's milk, because I'd worry other dairy would upset their tummy. Puree the meat and milk/water, and feed it several times during the day. Start handing out solid foods around 6 weeks old (you can even feed exactly what you're feeding Visa - give them big pieces like chicken quarters). Don't worry about them consuming bones, just get them started on ripping and tearing. Around 7-8 weeks they usually are able to start to consume some bones.

If the pups get dirty give them to Visa to clean off :p If she doesn't clean them, just wipe off what they get on them. It won't hurt them, you'll just have to wash your hands after you handle them. I can't swear to this, but would think you could clean them with a vinegar solution (25% or less vinegar, 75% or more water) by just spritzing it on them (but not in the eyes or ears) and wiping it off. I would e-mail some raw breeders and/or join the list that I linked to below and ask them what they do when the puppies get messy in their food.

I would reccomend you join this Yahoo! group - Rawbreeder (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawbreeder/)
Lots of knowledgeable raw breeders :)

molucass
07-09-2006, 11:18 PM
i dont breed yet but i do know a few people who have weaned their pups right onto a raw diet..Rachel, a Great Dane breeder, feeds raw to all her dogs including her pups, she knows tons about the diet, if you email her im sure she would be more than happy to awnser any of your questions..here's her site http://www.6stardanes.com/
just follow the link that says "send us email"

I was going to suggest her too. :)

Danegirl2208
07-09-2006, 11:20 PM
I was going to suggest her too. :)

yeah :) Rachel knows her stuff, i chat with her from time to time, she'd be able to help tons

Danegirl2208
07-09-2006, 11:26 PM
heres a pic of one of her danes Rooster (at 5 weeks old), eating raw..most pups do great on a raw diet

http://www.6stardanes.com/mrrrafa14.jpg
(picture taken by Rachel C.)

finn's mom
07-10-2006, 07:55 AM
I started Finn on raw as soon as I brought him home, at about 7.5 weeks old. I just gave him chicken drumsticks and smaller portions of beef and pork. :) He took to it immediately.