PDA

View Full Version : Kitten found on highway

Teri
05-28-2006, 10:00 PM
On my way home from my mother-in-law's house, I happened upon a kitten in the middle of the highway. He was obviously injured so I took him home and my cat didn't care too much for it, but I plan on taking it to the vet to make sure it gets taken care of. It's moving around, but it has rectal damage for sure. I managed to get it to eat something and I am so glad my husband suggested I have it checked out. :) I hope to keep the little sucker. It all depends on George, my 20 lb cat. He's very territorial. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get him to accept this kitten. Sure would appreciate it.

Barbara
05-29-2006, 04:08 AM
Teri I am so glad you took this little one in.
Now I think it is important to get him to the vet. At the moment I'd keep him separated from George- not only because of territorial reasons but also because you do not know whether he is healthy- on top of his accident he could have worms etc.

Then a very slow introduction is recommended- they should be able to sniff under the door. You can take a towel on which one has slept to rub the other- there are many Pet Talkers who can give you advice.

But first I send good thoughts for the little one being healthy.

Randi
05-29-2006, 07:18 AM
Aww, poor little kitten. :( I agree with Barbara, take him to the vet as soon as possible, he may be in pain. :(

I'm so glad you rescued him. :) Hope he'll get better and you can keep him. I'm sure you'll be able to introduce him to George, but you need to do it slowly.

DallasRechelle
05-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I hope to keep the little sucker. It all depends on George, my 20 lb cat. He's very territorial. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get him to accept this kitten. Sure would appreciate it.

Teri,

Bless your heart for rescuing the little guy. I wish there were more people in this world like you.

As mentioned, keep them seperated, either put the kitten in the bathroom and let them sniff under the door, or you can buy a training cage for cats (like the pet stores have) and put him in there. Do not lock your older cat up, as he or she will take it as punishment.

Also, when you're slowly introducing them, put a drop of vanilla at the head and the base of the tail on *both* cats. It'll confuse them enough that it should minimize the hissing.

I've got a 7 year old cat named Shadow and introduced a kitten into the family last August. Shadow is very domineering and very much the Alpha cat here and he surprised me at how quickly he took to Stormy. Your cat might surprise you. Just make sure that you spend quality time with your current cat and you should be alright.

Good luck! I hope the little guy isn't too badly hurt.

Teri
05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
I appreciate the feedback guys. You'll be glad to know that the kitten is going to be just fine. The vet said the protusion of the rectum (doesn't look so bad anymore) should go back to normal. My mother-in-law thought I was crazy for spending money on an animal that wasn't mine, but I didn't have to think twice about doing so. :) Of course, she thinks it's a waste of money to help any animal that's found abandoned. I figure as long as I'm not spending her money it really isn't any of her business. :mad: Anyway, I managed to find a nice home for miss kitty and I plan on checking up on her soon to see how she's doing. I feel bad because I couldn't keep her, but I guess I can't keep every stray that comes along.

Where's the lottery when you need it! :(

LittleOrangeKitten
05-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Maybe you could auction off your mother-in-law and donate the money to the local animal shelter? *EG*

I'm sorry, I'm PMSing and that thought leapt into my head when I read how she thinks it's a waste to spend the money like you did.

buttercup132
05-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Maybe you could auction off your mother-in-law and donate the money to the local animal shelter? *EG*

I'm sorry, I'm PMSing and that thought leapt into my head when I read how she thinks it's a waste to spend the money like you did.
LOL I'd like to do that!!!
Good job for taking this kitten in and finding it a new loving home

shihtzulover850
06-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Oh I am so glad you found him and kept him safe!! :D Hoping all goes well with him! :D