PDA

View Full Version : Dominique's anniversary...

Glacier
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Friday, May 26, will mark one year since my Dominique died. For the past few days, the tears have flowed almost as freely as they did in the days and weeks immediately following her death. Finding her little broken body will forever be one of the worst moments of my life. A year later, I still can't find the words to express my horror when I realized that it was her laying in the yard. Dominique was an indoor only cat who escaped unseen and was killed by my own dogs.

The dogs were merely acting on their instincts. They'd never seen an outdoor cat before that evening and have never caused any trouble with the cats in the house. Oh, I was angry at them for a long time. My husband told me weeks later that the night Dom died, he hid the key to his gun cabinet fearing for the dogs' safety at the height of my grief. For awhile, all I could do was feed and water the dogs. I wanted nothing else to do with them. As the fog cleared, I realized that not only had I lost my feline friend, but I was loosing my canine companions too. They had no idea why Mom was being so cold to them. They had long since forgotten the event. They had forgotten before I even got home that night and I know that if they had known they were about to break my heart, they would have not hurt Dom. I'm grateful that I don't know which dog or dogs were involved. I am not sure how I could have forgiven if I had known exactly who did it. In any case, the ultimate responsiblity for her death is mine.

I try not to remember the way I found her, but to recall her in happier ways. The last time I saw her alive, she was safely in the kitty enclosure, happily hunting bugs. I clearly remember stopping to watch her pounce and jump in the grass. I treasure that image of her with her little white paws in the air, bouncing after a moth. I'm so glad I stopped to watch her.

I remember the way she always let out a little mew before a pet and would head bonk my hand; the way she loved to snuggle under the covers with me and how every night there was a race between Dom & Ivy to see who got the best spot in the bed; the little jingle of her tags as she raced through the house; how every night she was waiting by the door for me when I got home from work.

I remember that tiny kitten, just a five weeks old, stuffed inside my winter jacket for the ride home. She had been found wandering around a busy street and brought to my office. Even then, just a wee thing, she was confident, bold and curious--traits that defined her for the rest of her all too short life. Perhaps her life would have been longer if she had been afraid just a little bit every now and then, but she would not have been my Dominique that way. If something new was in the house, if something got knocked over at 3am, if the dogs' water bucket was tipped over, Dominique did it! She was into everything. The water bucket was her favorite thing to play in. She tipped it every day. We learned quickly not to leave any water in the bottom. Twice since her death that bucket has fallen over for no apparent reason. I like to think she was stopping by for a visit.

10 days after she died, Dominique sent us another kitty, another tuxie with a confident, goofy personality, my sweet Boots. I believe she not only sent him, but that at times her spirit visits through him. They are so very much alike. Now when something goes crash in the night, it is always Boots who is at the centre of the commotion. The other cats accepted him immediately, as if they already knew him--maybe they did. Last night as I lay crying in bed, Boots came and curled up in the same spot Dominique used to sleep in, gave me a few head bonks and licked my hands, just like she used to.

I miss you, my little troublemaker. Five years just simply wasn't enough time. What I would give to pick you up just one more time and ask "Dom what have you done now??". Try not to cause too much ruckus at the Bridge. Say hi to Hoodoo and Twicket for me. A part of my heart resides with all of you wherever you are. I love you, my precious Dominique.

Cinder & Smoke
05-25-2006, 02:21 AM
WOW, Tamara!

<sniff>

Some of your Stuff is kinda hard to get through ...

I treasure that image of her with her little white paws in the air, bouncing after a moth.
I'm so glad I stopped to watch her.

Twice since her death that bucket has fallen over for no apparent reason.
I like to think she was stopping by for a visit.

Nice to hear from you, Dominique.

/s/ Phred

Queen of Poop
05-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Remembering Sweet Dominique with Love and Gratitude.

Donnaj4962
05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh my, LES. What a beautiful tribute to your little one. Dominique sounds like she was a very loved kitty, and she knew that. How sweet of her to send you Boots, to love and confort you.

Thank you for sharing your story, the good and bad. I am glad that you have worked through your anger.

catlover4ever
05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
It's so very hard when we loose the ones we care for so much, especially one as precious as Dominique. Think more of all the good times that you shared with her.....what kind of a life would she have had if you did not save her from a life on the cold streets.

RIP Sweet Dominique.

catmandu
05-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Dominique Is Now A Curious Little Cat Angel.
Shes Always The First Torun And Explore The New Town, That The Angels Are Visiting.
She Will Love The Next Weeks Itinerary As They Are Visiting Calgary, Then Banff National Parks.
Will She Have Fun There.
Shes Waiting For You, And Your Cats To Join In On The Fun. One Fine Day.

caseysmom
05-25-2006, 10:16 PM
I am sure even Dominique has forgiven the pups. I am also sure they were never in danger but that was sweet of Stuart to protect you and them. I am sure Dominique passed very quickly, I remember how upsetting it was when it happened and I hope that memory is fading and is replaced by the good times.

RIP Dominique and I am glad you are watching over your Mom.

Glacier
05-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I do miss that little mite!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/cats%2005/dominique_sun.jpg
This is my favorite picture of her. Taken about six weeks before she died.

caseysmom--the dogs were never in any danger. I never even thought about it. Stuart may have been protecting me more than them. It was an awful time for me! I am sure Dom has forgiven them. She loved the dogs. I believe that she never had a clue she was in any danger. She probably just walked up to someone and trying to headbonk them! Her only injury was a broken neck, likely from being shaken. My vet assures me that she died instantly. Another fact I am grateful for in this whole mess!

captain
05-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Tamara,

*tears*
{{hugs}}
and head bumpies to Boots for looking after you .... :D

jenluckenbach
05-26-2006, 04:53 AM
OH {{{{{{{{{{{{{Tamara}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I saw this title yesterday but could not bear to look. I knew it would break my heart. But I can tell that the healing process is moving forward. Keep concentrating on those lovely images.

RIP Dominique

Queen of Poop
05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
On this, the actual day of Dominique's unfortunate accident I send you a great big HUG. I am so very sorry it happened.

Cataholic
05-27-2006, 08:20 PM
I, too, had to pass this thread the first time I saw it. What a sad day that was. May time continue to ease your grief.

Play happily, Dom!

Vela
05-28-2006, 05:22 PM
That's hard to even read, I'm sure it is/was much harder to live with. I'm sorry you lost your girl. That would be really hard, especially in that way.

K9soul
05-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Tamara, you are so eloquent with your words, painting images and feelings so vividly as to touch the heart and soul of all who read them.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute and your memories of one very special little girl, spunky little Dominique. I know she pounces and plays happily at the Bridge, always in your heart and someday to meet again.

{{hugs}}