PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Hana

Maresche
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM
We sent our eldest cat to the Rainbow Bridge today. She just stopped eating over the weekend and there was nothing that would tempt her. This morning our vet said she could run bloodwork to find out what was going on but that there was a good chance she couldn't do anything about it. Hana was hyperthroid with renal disease so we knew our time was short, we just didn't think this short.

This is something my husband wrote about her:

This morning Maresche and I had our longhaired old cat Hana put down. Over the weekend she was just doing gradually worse and worse. Maresche took her in to the vet this morning and they just couldn't do anything to help her. So we took the only course of action left to alleviate her suffering. She's gone now.

I know Maresche isn't taking this well, but as for myself I'm taking it pretty hard. Hana was really my cat, and my first one at that. I first came across her while we were doing volunteer work for the animal shelter in the next county over. Back then her name was Hemlock, and all the shelter workers said she was a rather anti-social, persnickety cat. Still, I made sure to visit her every weekend we worked there. Eventually she took a shine to me, I suppose, and would even crawl into my lap and let me pet her; something she wouldn't let anyone else do.

I've been told time and again that she's not what one would call an attractive looking cat. Hell, I've been told that she's downright ugly. But I didn't see her like that. Beneath her mottled brown and black coat with the white patch on her chest and white tips on her feet I saw one of the most loyal and affectionate cats I've ever come across. She was a good companion, and a unique character who provided a sharp contrast to the attitudes of our other two cats, Terra and Misao.

In remembering about her, I remember most of all why I chose her to adopt instead of some cute little kitten. I looked down at her sitting in my lap one day and I told myself, "I want to give her a better life for as long as she's still around." I'd like to think I did that, and I'd like to think that she would have thanked us for it in the end.

Goodbye Hana, my first cat. You'll always be with us, and you won't hurt anymore.

Donnaj4962
03-20-2006, 02:16 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. From what I read in your post, Hana was very well loved, and she knew it. How wonderful that you were able to provide her with a furrever home. RIP dear little one, and play hard at the RB. I am sure you have been greeted by many others that have passed over and they are showing you all of the many fun (and painfree) things to do! God Bless.

jenluckenbach
03-20-2006, 02:30 PM
I am SO sorry for your loss. Your heartfelt words have brought tears to my eyes and I guarentee that Hana is looking down on you now with gratitude and love.

catmandu
03-20-2006, 04:24 PM
Hana is with all the Other Pet Angels now sunning themselves in Sunny Arizona,going to the Spring Training Baseball Games.
She doent want you to cry,as she is Happy and Healthy now,with lots of Pet Angels to play with.
And she is finding lots of nice places to eat,and will take you there when you are Together Again.
One Fine Day.

moosmom
03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss:( RIP sweet Hanna

(((((HUGS)))))) to you, Maresche.

Cat's Meowm
03-20-2006, 04:59 PM
My condolences to Hana's family. What a loving tribute! May she rest in peaceful eternity at the Rainbow Bridge. - Bon, Wilbur and Petey

Lori Jordan
03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
So sorry for your loss

kb2yjx
03-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I am sorry to read about Hana. Your husband's thoughts about HIS cat, were very touching, she was his girl!!! Sleep softly dear Hana...

rg_girlca
03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
What a lovely tribute to your beloved Hana. It's funny how cats know who to pick as their forever person and Hana, aka Hemlock, knew that you were the one for her. How blessed she was to have such a loving home to spend the rest of her life in.

I know it is difficult to say goodbye to a pet you held so dear. I hope and pray that you find comfort and peace in the fond memories you made together.

Rest in Peace dear Hana.

((((((HUGS)))))) to you Maresche and your hubby.

Cat's Meowm
03-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Hana, you're still looking out? Bet you are, Beautiful Baby. Don't let your hoomans down. How pretty and out of pain. Your folks did right, they did right!
Death is painful, but you and they did right.
I'm gonna need your help later
But at the moment
Serious HUG
I miss the Hana, also

Maresche
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Thank you all very much for your kind words.

Hubby and I talked at length last night and finally came to the conclusion that we did nothing wrong (we were both feeling very guilty about her situation). If we did, it was not recognizing she was ready to go sooner.

Glacier
03-21-2006, 06:23 PM
What a beautiful tribute to a special friend. I'm sorry for your loss. Godspeed Hana.

catfamily
03-22-2006, 05:14 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your beloved Hanna :(