Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iditarod!!!

Iditarod!!!

It starts today. They are streaming the stars on the web site . www.Iditarod.com

A lead sled dog was lost on Mercer Is. Washington today. Well over the wk end. It was on our local news tonight. Black and white border collie.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

The Iditarod

I hope we are not going to sing the praises of...nor follow the route of one the world's most cruel races for dogs. Many dogs die on the way, the bodies punished beyond endurance, they are beaten, given almost no rest, and made to run even if they are sick and have injuries. Anyone who loves dogs will not follow a race such as this.

being a newcomer you should be warned we have several mushers here and there is a whole thread from last year on these subject . Please get the truth before opeing you mouth with your opinions. PLEASE!

I'm not going to get into a big debate about the I-rod or races like it. For the facts, not the fiction, on this race check out
    http://sunhusky.com/Facts/

And that's all I'm going to say.

Oh and GO KAREN RAMSTEAD!!!! She's a good friend of mine and is running her 5th Iditarod with a team of purebred show champion Siberians!! GO KAREN!!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Re: The Iditarod

Originally posted by Shantidog
    I hope we are not going to sing the praises of...nor follow the route of one the world's most cruel races for dogs. Many dogs die on the way, the bodies punished beyond endurance, they are beaten, given almost no rest, and made to run even if they are sick and have injuries. Anyone who loves dogs will not follow a race such as this.
    WHAT?!?! are you joking? i love this sport and have never heard of such things. like Corinna said. there are a bunch of mushers here. i would watch what you say.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

We have 7 from Montana this year!!!! Go Guys!!!

Shantidog, if you joined just to say that, then go away. I know for a fact that those dogs are very well taken care of. Probably even better than our dogs. So, be on your merry way. Unless you can show facts of that, keep your mouth shut.
    I will check out that link as I love watching that.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I was talking to my friend about it today and he says it's nothing like the movies. He says there are vets at every stop who determine if the dogs can continue. I'm looking forward to watching it - if I can figure out how to find it on satellite.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

It will be on OLN - Outdoor Life Network.

Hello everyone....I hope that you did not get the wrong idea....I am a member of many dog sites. I love this one...I think it is great...and I AM NOT ATTACKING ANY DOG OWNERS HERE.. please...do not get me wrong. You people are fabulous in the way you take care care of your animals...and it is heartwarming to see!! Mushing is a wonderful sport...in fact I myself used to be involved in it!! I would love to get back to it, but in fact it is a little unrealistic in Australia LOL. I am from the Yukon in Canada. Mushing as a sport is one thing...but the Iditarod race is something else! I have been to a couple, and seeing some of those dogs come in at the end of it would break your heart! I used to think that the Iditarod was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but where does the sled dog in this race have its say?
    Again....I appeal to you do not judge me harshly, I am a crazy, insane dog lover like the rest of you who is a mommy to several rescue dogs here in Australia, and the foster mom of many more. The dogs are kind enough to let me live with them here, and allow me to share their lives. Please just click on this link, and this will give you some more information about where I am coming from. www.helpsleddogs.org
    Love to all and thankyou for being the caring dog lovers that you are

Thanks Everyone

Thanks for taking the time to read the last post from me. I will be sending along sume pictures of mydoggie family soon.

Originally posted by Shantidog
    www.helpsleddogs.org
    The woman who runs this site has never been to a dog race, never seen a real sled dog in her life, she lives in Florida, refuses to attend any races, has never been to the I-rod and has refused invites to several kennels, including my own. I know Jeff King, Karen Ramstead and other big name professional mushers have offered her tours which she has refused. In my view, she has less crediblity than PETA and the Animal Liberation Foundation. She's a nut!

Where you from in the Yukon? I've lived in the Territory for years. I've handled on the Quest a few times and watched the Iditarod. I've never seen a pathetic team crossing the finish line. The last musher I handled for broke the brake off his sled as he crossed the Quest line--his dogs were that fresh and that happy to still be pulling. I've seen mushers who were in pretty sad shape, but their dogs looked great!

Ok, I said I wasn't getting involved in this so before I rant much more I'm going to bed. I still think it's highly suspicious that someone involved with Glickman's group shows up on this board the day the I-rod starts.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thank you Glacier I was thinking the same thing it also appears this is the only thread they are posting on.
    I couldn't remember if that was the nut jobs site or not.
    Side note I tried watching the start but appaently too many people were too as it kept cutting out. got the times though and my musher sheets out and filling them in. Go Montana teams !!!!!

haha...look at this dog! how can you say they don't like this!?
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.