Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Highly toxic blue-green algae

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    2,598

    Highly toxic blue-green algae

    Thank you, cassiesmom, for the warning about blue-green algae in "Random Thoughts".
    I would like to continue the warning here, because it is a real danger to animals.

    Just yesterday we had a discussion with our veterinarians about the toxicity of blue-green algae. It can cause death within minutes.


    http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-...ly-danger-dogs
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    27,948
    I'm bumping up this old thread because a new report just came out from a neighboring county. This is a nice forest preserve location outside Chicago. So please, if it's observed near you again this year, please be careful.

    "The Forest Preserve District of DuPage County is advising caution after a blue-green algae bloom was confirmed in Herrick Lake at Herrick Lake Forest Preserve in Wheaton."
    I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

    Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!


    "That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

    "We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

    Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

  3. #3
    An also bumping cuz the link no longer works in the OP an it is not just toxic to dogs but to cats; livestock an etc

    copying an pasting info in here
    ------
    Alarming reports have recently surfaced of blue-green algae intoxications in pets. Many pet parents donít realize the severity of the threat these toxins pose to animals, and itís easy to overlook. During this recent spike in blue-green algae cases, we want to make sure you have everything you need to know to keep pets safe.

    What Is Blue-Green Algae and Why Is It Dangerous?

    Blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) is most likely to thrive in bodies of fresh water when the weather is warm (over 75 degrees) and sunny. Algae intoxications happen more during the summer because weather conditions promote the growth of cyanobacteria. These organisms are incredibly toxic and are known to cause poisoning in dogs, cats, livestock, wildlife, birds, fish and even humans.

    How to Spot It

    Water containing toxic algae blooms will often have the appearance of a pea-green paint or will appear as if thereís slime on the surface.

    If certain wind conditions are present, the film will often concentrate along the shoreline in areas where animals may drink or swim.

    Symptoms of Intoxication

    Dogs can develop poisoning when they drink from, or even simply swim in, contaminated water sources. If blue-green algae is ingested, it can cause severe neurologic or liver damage.

    Signs of blue-green algae toxicity include:

    Seizures
    Panting
    Excessive drooling
    Respiratory failure
    Diarrhea
    Disorientation
    Vomiting
    Liver failure
    Ultimately death

    If your dog begins to experience any of these symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.

    Stay Alert!

    Prevention is key when it comes to any pet toxin. Donít allow your pets to drink from stagnant ponds, lakes or other bodies of water that have bluish-green scum on the surface or around the edges.

    Blue-green algae cells can also stick to a petís fur and be ingested when they clean themselves, so take caution before allowing your pet to jump into a body of water and be sure to rinse your pet thoroughly with fresh water after going for a dip.

    Many public health departments test water frequently in areas that are known to have outbreaks and will post signs when there is a problemóso vigilance is also important.

    If you suspect that your pet ingested something potentially toxic, please call your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 immediately.

    source:
    https://www.aspca.org/news/pet-safet...ue-green-algae

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com