Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Mindy's (and my) rough day at the vet

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    1,653

    Mindy's (and my) rough day at the vet

    Yesterday, I took Mindy to work to get her checked out, because she vomited the day before, and then she quit eating.
    I let another technician hold her for a blood draw, because I didn't want Mindy to feel my concern. I had my back turned to them. Next thing I knew, that cat turned into a Tasmanian devil, screaming and up in the air. The tech wasn't able to hold her, I jumped in to get her so she wouldn't fall of the table.
    In the process, she sliced my hand open, and still got away. I finally had her in a corner, and I think she recognized me. She let me pick her up and get her back in the kennel. By that time I was in tears because I was so scared that she had been hurt. Luckily, she was fine, and a few minutes later, she back to her purring self.
    I have never seen her like that, and needless to say that from now on I will hold my own cats.
    Mindy's bloodwork is fine, so I still don't know what's going on. She eats, but very slowly, and she is subdued, not her bouncy self.
    Maybe it is a pain issue, which could explain her erratic behavior. She's 10 yrs old, and she could have arthritis.
    I'll have to watch her, and then figure out a plan.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15,958
    Wow! What a story!

    Sending along good wishes and hopes and prayers and warm energies that Mindy and you will both be fine.

    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

    -- Terry Pratchett (19482015), Sourcery

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,545
    Blog Entries
    2
    Oh bless your heart. Yes, we always hold onto our cats at the vet but sometimes I think it's a crappy idea. Cats might feel our stress but they are freaked out too,so I think it's just normal and reassuring to be there for them, if we are stressed and they are too, they sorta get that it's okay to be freaked. We have gone both ways and trust me, you know well how unpredictable they are. 🐈😸 Cut and dry, the vet visit blows for everyone. I am so happy that Mindy was unharmed. Ouch, cat slashes hurt. We live and learn, hopefully 😹 I sure hope that whatever her problem is, it can be easily dealt with. 10 is not that old but I hear you, I think my older cat might have arthritis too. She is a paw short so she has always limped and she will never put her paw on the laminate floor because there is no traction. She seems to be limping WAAAY more lately. In the end..... cats have a very high pain tolerance as we know and a little love goes a very looong way 😻👍🏿✌️Your a great Mum! 🤜🏻🤛

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Oh bless your heart. Yes, we always hold onto our cats at the vet but sometimes I think it's a crappy idea. Cats might feel our stress but they are freaked out too,so I think it's just normal and reassuring to be there for them, if we are stressed and they are too, they sorta get that it's okay to be freaked. We have gone both ways and trust me, you know well how unpredictable they are.  Cut and dry, the vet visit blows for everyone. I am so happy that Mindy was unharmed. Ouch, cat slashes hurt. We live and learn, hopefully  I sure hope that whatever her problem is, it can be easily dealt with. 10 is not that old but I hear you, I think my older cat might have arthritis too. She is a paw short so she has always limped and she will never put her paw on the laminate floor because there is no traction. She seems to be limping WAAAY more lately. In the end..... cats have a very high pain tolerance as we know and a little love goes a very looong way ✌️Your a great Mum! 卵亂
    Thank you, mon! We usually don't let our clients hold their pets during an exam in case something like that happens. Since I work there, I usually hold my cat. This time I thought I try something different. So much for that.
    Mindy is much more tortie than I though she was.
    Still very quiet today, she's hanging out on the dryer where it's warm. Another reason for me to believe she might have pain issues.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Wow! What a story!

    Sending along good wishes and hopes and prayers and warm energies that Mindy and you will both be fine.

    Thank you, Pat! I hope I can Mindy get some help with whatever is going on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Windham, Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,244
    Have her teeth and gums been checked? Eating slowly could be pain in the mouth ...
    I've Been Frosted

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    1,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Have her teeth and gums been checked? Eating slowly could be pain in the mouth ...
    Her teeth and gums looked fine. There was a slight improvement today with her appetite.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Belgium, near Ghent
    Posts
    12,816
    OMG, what a story...!
    It strange hey that some cats can suddenly turn into a scary hysteric monster....
    My Zazou is also the sweetest cat but everytime the vets tries to give her a injection, we have to hold her with 2 persons very very tightly....!
    Give Mindy a big hum from me!
    I hope the vet can find out what she has, so she/hi can help her!!
    I miss you Maya & Zazou! Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    USA, previously Europe
    Posts
    1,653
    Thank you, Lut! Mindy appreciates the hug. She's almost back to normal. Since she had a little loose stool a few days ago and she vomited once at the beginning of this, it might have been a stomach bug.
    Headbumpies and purrs to sweet Zazou!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 2001-2013 Pet of the Day.com